Best DIY Hunt without Preference Points

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best DIY Hunt without Preference Points

What's up guys, wanted to get a thread going to see what everyone's thoughts on the best Public land hunt would be. Whether Alaskan moose or bear, Colorado elk or muley, Idaho elk or all other game you can transfer your tag to. Just wanted to hear thoughts and get some ideas out there.

Idaho OTC deer or elk in a good area, and those tags are transferrable to a bear, wolf or mt. lion, if you chose to take one.

Comment

I did OTC archery deer in AZ and will definitely be back.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Depends on what kind of hunt you prefer. There are some amazing DIY OTC tags for just about all game in North America. My favorite so far is Alaskan moose but if planning a true DIY it’ll take just as long planning as it would to accrue a couple preference points for another species in another state.

Comment

OTC Roosevelt elk in western Oregon is an awesome but challenging hunt, especially archery. Nothing at all like hunting Rocky Mtn elk. Most shots are within halitosis range and it will rain almost every day. A lot of good public hunting land along the coast. Bear and cougar are also plentiful and the tags are OTC and cheap. You just can't bait or use dogs so most are taken while elk or deer hunting.

Comment

My son just did the Arizona deer hunt and killed a 8 point coues buck. From the pics it's a rough and beautiful place to hunt. Think I'm going with him next yr. He seen numerous Mule deer and coues deer.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich1201 View Post

I second this. Add a draw for archery javelina. It's not super cold. Your not 10 miles from the truck unless you want to be. And the whole southeast of AZ is available with miles of public land. There are no wolves or griz and the people are genuinely nice.

My second would have been Wyoming pronghorn but I'm not sure how many units you can draw now with zero preference points.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich1201 View Post

I have been looking into a late season Arizona trip. All the different game and being able to chase couse and muleys on the same tag is drawing me in.

Comment

Originally posted by JustinP View Post
                  I have been looking into a late season Arizona trip. All the different game and being able to chase couse and muleys on the same tag is drawing me in.
                  I went the week after labor day. It was nice to get an early start to the season. I'll do the rut hunt sometime I'm sure.

Comment

NM doesn't have preference points, you have the same abysmal odds of drawing a sweet Gila tag as every other nonresident! lol

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
                      NM doesn't have preference points, you have the same abysmal odds of drawing a sweet Gila tag as every other nonresident! lol
                      Yep. And you get to pay up front too. I'm so excited. Having said that, I may plop down for a desert bighorn one of these days. I'll be too old to go but I can wave it around like I won the lottery. Who knows, maybe I can get one of those off-road walkers that have a gun rest on them.

Pronghorn have some added restrictions. Used to be you were given a ranch to hunt when you drew. I don't think that is the same anymore.

Comment

I am currently trying to plan and put together a blacktail hunt on Kodiak Island.

You can kill 3 deer each and fish. With flights looking like it'll be around $2500-$3000 per person for a drop camp style hunt. Just need the gear and food for the week.

Never been to Alaska or done a back country hunt but I am pretty excited to give this a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Blank View Post
                          Idaho OTC deer or elk in a good area, and those tags are transferrable to a bear, wolf or mt. lion, if you chose to take one.
                          I've done this and had a blast.

Comment

OTC deer in AZ or elk in SW Colorado are both nice!

Comment

SW Colorado elk is no longer otc

Comment

Working...
                              X