TT's Rocky Top Ranch;Not What it Used to Be

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TT's Rocky Top Ranch;Not What it Used to Be

Spent the weekend on a ram hunt with a group from another forum. I sure was disappointed this time around with Thompson and the ranch itself. A group of 20+ had this weekend reserved for a WHILE now. To start, he doubled booked this past weekend with a group of about 16. He gave them the top of the mountain and all of us the bottom!!! So me and my nephew decided to walk the draw starting at the A-frame, came up just above his house, then across the next 2 canyons, back to the bottom at the last stand next to the high dollar pasture and back to the trailer house, without seeing one ram. We glassed each and every hill side without a single sighting. After my nephew shot a no tag catalina in the high dollar pasture when they came out to eat a little hay, I went to the top that afternoon with my bow. Since I was the only one in the bow hunting section, I could move from stand to stand for a spot and stalk. That is how I took a big rambo about 3 yrs ago. But didn't see nadda. Even the stands (if you call it that) were terrible. He baited stand 5. All there was for stands were 2 outdoor chairs stuck under a live oak tree. One chair had no back and the chair that did have a back had only 3 legs. So I wonder down to the next one. Just one rusted up metal chair out in the wide open. So I go where I shot my very first ram. A box blind big enough for 2, cause my wife had sat with me back then and shot video of it. Well, that blind wasn't even there. Only a metal frame of some sort, with a couple of boards laid across it. The next and last stand I walked to, well, never found a stand there, not even a chair. This was my 4th trip out there and we always saw rams EVERYWHERE, but not this time. And what little we did see were either blue or red tag and those weren't impressive. Hope none of yall have a hunt planned in the near future. Be a long time before I go back, if I go back!!!

Our lease is down the road from TT place.. I have never understood how he was making the place run based on the lack of "maintenance" he gives that place....

Comment

That sucks!

I've never been to Thompson's and not seen rams.
      We're booked for July 9th for the 3rd anual Hotter'n Hell ram hunt ... hope he stocks up before then.

Comment

Hopefully he will make a auction run for ya'll...

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post

I've never been to Thompson's and not seen rams.
          We're booked for July 9th for the 3rd anual Hotter'n Hell ram hunt ... hope he stocks up before then.
          This was the first time we never saw any out in front of the A-frame or on the side of the canyon just to the right of the trailer house. All the rams shot in our group was at the stand next to the trailer house, either down below or just inside the high dollar pasture.
          For your sake, I hope he makes it to the sale barn before then. He made enough money this weekend to buy a few!!!
          Oh, there is a blue tag that hangs out where he keeps his hay, just around the corner of the A-frame. He likes to be scratched behind is ears!!

Comment

Yeah, that double booked thing would have had me pretty hot to start with!!!! Too bad, I have never been but have always heard good things about TT....

Comment

Where did he put all ya'll?

I think there's only 24 beds total.

Comment

Hmmm, hope things change before February! We were there back in March and things were not bad at all. We had a group of probably 25-30 (some stayed in town at the hotel) and I don't think anybody went home without the animal they were after, and several went home with more than one. The only thing I didn't get, that I was looking for, was the one axis doe he had in the high dollar pasture, but he told me on Friday she was wilder than a march hair. I only saw her twice and she was on the run both times.

Comment

Hint. . . . go on the forth or first weekend of the month. The harper sale is the 3rd sunday of the month. . . . honestly kinda sad when you have to plan a hunt based on when the auction is. With all the reports I've heard from that place, I don't understand why people still go. If you want the same experience - go to the auction yourself - pick up a couple sheep, and turn them loose on your lease, and go hunt them the next weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Txnrog View Post
                    Hint. . . . go on the forth or first weekend of the month. The harper sale is the 3rd sunday of the month. . . . honestly kinda sad when you have to plan a hunt based on when the auction is. With all the reports I've heard from that place, I don't understand why people still go. If you want the same experience - go to the auction yourself - pick up a couple sheep, and turn them loose on your lease, and go hunt them the next weekend.
                    !

Comment

Think you were there with some folks from the Keith Warren forum? Sorry to hear about a crappy hunt, did you get your money back...I have never been and with your feedback I will gladly be spening my money at Diamond C instead

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
                      Spent the weekend on a ram hunt with a group from another forum. I sure was disappointed this time around with Thompson and the ranch itself. A group of 20+ had this weekend reserved for a WHILE now. To start, he doubled booked this past weekend with a group of about 16. He gave them the top of the mountain and all of us the bottom!!! So me and my nephew decided to walk the draw starting at the A-frame, came up just above his house, then across the next 2 canyons, back to the bottom at the last stand next to the high dollar pasture and back to the trailer house, without seeing one ram. We glassed each and every hill side without a single sighting. After my nephew shot a no tag catalina in the high dollar pasture when they came out to eat a little hay, I went to the top that afternoon with my bow. Since I was the only one in the bow hunting section, I could move from stand to stand for a spot and stalk. That is how I took a big rambo about 3 yrs ago. But didn't see nadda. Even the stands (if you call it that) were terrible. He baited stand 5. All there was for stands were 2 outdoor chairs stuck under a live oak tree. One chair had no back and the chair that did have a back had only 3 legs. So I wonder down to the next one. Just one rusted up metal chair out in the wide open. So I go where I shot my very first ram. A box blind big enough for 2, cause my wife had sat with me back then and shot video of it. Well, that blind wasn't even there. Only a metal frame of some sort, with a couple of boards laid across it. The next and last stand I walked to, well, never found a stand there, not even a chair. This was my 4th trip out there and we always saw rams EVERYWHERE, but not this time. And what little we did see were either blue or red tag and those weren't impressive. Hope none of yall have a hunt planned in the near future. Be a long time before I go back, if I go back!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Txnrog View Post
                        x2 Good Point unless u are going to enloy the Campfire...

Comment

Originally posted by jbitt4x4 View Post
                          Think you were there with some folks from the Keith Warren forum? Sorry to hear about a crappy hunt, did you get your money back...I have never been and with your feedback I will gladly be spening my money at Diamond C instead
                          This! Skylar is the BEST for sure!

Comment

Only been once and thats enough. Most of those rams were so tame I could have walked up and koed one. Not to mention he doesnt give a s*** about how comfortable you are while there.

Comment

Originally posted by stuntriderant View Post
                              Only been once and thats enough. Most of those rams were so tame I could have walked up and koed one. Not to mention he doesnt give a s*** about how comfortable you are while there.
                              I'm not going to go off, like a few folks did when KJO got a bad review, but really, what do you expect for a $100 hunt that INCLUDES lodging?

I haven't found another ranch that can even come close to Thompson's prices.

If he is slipping with his animals, though, you can be sure, I'll give an accurate report when we get back.

Comment

Working...
                              X