Scope question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scope question

I have a new Leupold scope on a rifle in med seeking rings and a 20moa base. Today when sighting in I have bottomed out my downward travel and am still hitting 5moa high. I haven’t had this problem before with different rings and scope on same setup and really not sure why it’s happening. Is there any easy ways to correct it? Or just hold using milling reticle at 100 and have plenty of elevation travel for longer shots?

You’re sighting in at 100yds?

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
      You’re sighting in at 100yds?
      Yessir sorry shoulda mentioned that

Comment

Not a long range guru by any means but with a 20moa base I wouldn’t be trying to sight in at anything less than 200.

Comment

^ I believe he is correct.

Comment

Are you sure you don’t have the 20moa base mounted backwards? There is nothing wrong with zeroing the scope at 100 yards, especially if planning to dial the turret or use bdc reticle for longer shots.

Comment

The scope base is mounted in the right position, higher end at the rear of gun. Like I said weird thing is I’ve never had this problem with the other scope and rings I ran on it. Base hasn’t come off it is still loctited in place. Even if sighting in at 200 that’d still leave me high 3” or so.

Comment

Measure you ring heights next to make sure there is nothing funny going on there, and then that would only leave something wrong with the scope I would think.

Comment

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
                  ^ I believe he is correct.
                  He’s not. It’s an equipment issue. Which Leupold do you have? I’ll find out how much travel you should have. I can’t think of any that should be bottoming out with a 20 MOA base and zero MOA rings.

Comment

Are you hitting the zero stop on the scope for some reason?

Comment

If I am reading this correctly, you changed scopes. The most likely cause is that the other scope had more internal adjustment. Changing rings could also do it. I've seen instances where a packaged set of rings were slightly different height. Doesn't take much. I have a rifle set up with a 20 moa base, and the original scope that was on it before installing the 20moa wouldn't zero at 100 meters.

Comment

What scope?

What's the mount on? I've seen a screw from a pic rail poke up and mess with a mount like this

Also if it's on a seam where there are joints in a rail

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post

He’s not. It’s an equipment issue. Which Leupold do you have? I’ll find out how much travel you should have. I can’t think of any that should be bottoming out with a 20 MOA base and zero MOA rings.
                          It’s a Leupold mk4 should be 65 minutes of vertical travel. Right now I’m getting 50. So I called Leupold and they said to send it in and they will check it out.

Thanks everyone for the help

Comment

That’s what I was thinking it would be. Unfortunately I’ve seen a few Leupolds that way, or with canted reticles. They’re pretty good about getting them back to you right though.

Comment

Did you "true" the scope? Dial it all the way down then count the clicks while bringing it all the way up then going down to half of that number of clicks?

Comment

Working...
                              X