PayPal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Man View Post
    Sorry if dumb question....but how would you spread misinformation through paypal? I'm confused.
    misrepresenting an item you have listed for auction on Ebay ; basically false advertising to increase the bids and ending price. Or accepting payment using PP and lying to the buyer about it's condition.

" ... You can own a piece of history. OJ Simpson's famous white bronco that I bought from a friend of OJ's 3rd cousin, who worked for his maid and slept with Kato Kalin. The glove box is even signed by The Juice, Al Cowlings, Robert Kardashian, and Johnnie Cochran. If you BUY IT NOW, I'll include the actual pair of Bruno Mali shoes and the Left hand Isotoner leather glove that was too small and did not fit. ..."

people sell fake and counterfeit items all the time on Ebay or via PP

Last edited by Cajun Blake; 10-10-2022, 11:56 AM.

Comment

I can't afford to get rid of Paypal, I run 80+ in sales a year from Paypal. I've never had an issue with Paypal and they did contact me via a phone call when some was trying to buy something using my Paypal. They told me it was not conducive to my regular purchases.

Comment

Sorry if dumb question....but how would you spread misinformation through paypal? I have used it before for transactions on ebay and don't understand where during the financial transaction you have an opportunity to spread hateful misinformation? I'm confused.

Well, let’s see here.

Mark Zuckerberg is the largest shareholder in PayPal.

Honey is owned by PayPal so that is one way they can track what you are buying.

PayPal also owns iZettle, Braintree, Xoom, and Hyperwallet which are all, more or less, payment processors.

Venmo is also under the PayPal umbrella.

PayPal is also partnered with Google and Yahoo.

All it would take is a little cooperation between the companies listed above. Post something on Instagram or Facebook that the algorithm doesn’t like and a flag is sent to PayPal to fine you.

Now with that in mind, and how PayPal is more or less an online bank, how long will it take for something similar to this to start coming out by Wells Fargo, JP Morgan, Bank of America, or any other large bank? Don’t say it can’t happen because it already is happening over seas.

Comment

Originally posted by 91cavgt View Post
          Well, let’s see here.

PayPal also owns iZettle, Braintree, Xoom, and Hyperwallet which are all, more or less, payment processors.

All it would take is a little cooperation between the companies listed above. Post something on Instagram or Facebook that the algorithm doesn’t like and a flag is sent to PayPal to fine you.

Now with that in mind, and how PayPal is more or less an online bank, how long will it take for something similar to this to start coming out by Wells Fargo, JP Morgan, Bank of America, or any other large bank? Don’t say it can’t happen because it already is happening over seas.
          I know all of that. My question was how do you spread misinformation within paypal?

Comment

Originally posted by 91cavgt View Post
            Well, let’s see here.

Wells Fargo definitely could not afford it- so there’s that

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
              it only gets worse .... It was possible to close your account via online settings before. Now, users have to call and they are put on HOLD for a very looooooooong time. Paypal wants people just give up and keep the account open. What a cluster. FWIW - Venmo is owned by Paypal.

Correct, I should have elaborated a little more on that to mention I deleted Venmo as well. I assumed the general population knew PayPal owned venmo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bullets13 View Post
                It appears they can still fine you $2500 for breaking the following rule:

"You may not use the PayPal service for activities that … relate to … the promotion of hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory or the financial exploitation of a crime …."

I don't have any problem with this rule, and the platform should be able to kick people off that do these things. That said, there's no sane way that a company can just take your money because they don't like what you said, or in this case bought or sold on their site. And in this case, whether you violated these rules is solely at the discretion of PayPal. That's terrifying. We're deleting our accounts. This is madness.

What is the promotion of “hate, violence..”? That can be interpreted in different ways by so called reasonable people in todays age. I for one would not say someone who has attended a protest is a person promoting hate. However the Canadian government would say someone who attended the trucker protests is promoting hate, and like they did, seize their financial assets.

Comment

Sorry if dumb question....but how would you spread misinformation through paypal? I have used it before for transactions on ebay and don't understand where during the financial transaction you have an opportunity to spread hateful misinformation? I'm confused.

To my knowledge this wasn’t elaborated on. Recent precedent would say that if a social media company deemed you to have spread misinformation as prescribed by our federal government or paid fact checkers, PayPal could be privy to that information via that little checkbox you have to check yes on in the terms and conditions where they have third party access to your other apps. I implied in my original post “some of you may know the answer” that these applications have been caught time and time again circumventing any stops where they allow third party companies access to your info, these third party companies have enormous databases that can match your info (email, phone number, address, etc) and give or sell that info back to the owner of the app.

Comment

Originally posted by Bjankowski View Post
                    I can't afford to get rid of Paypal, I run 80+ in sales a year from Paypal. I've never had an issue with Paypal and they did contact me via a phone call when some was trying to buy something using my Paypal. They told me it was not conducive to my regular purchases.

I understand that it makes your life easier for processing payments from customers. Hell, I bought my knife from you on PayPal. Just cleaned it up a little the other day in prep for my next hunt by the way. Haven’t been able to use it yet but hope to this year. If you were interested in looking for PayPal alternatives I’d gladly help you find a way. I’m no expert but I know there are many other options out there.

Comment

I know all of that. My question was how do you spread misinformation within paypal?

It could be construed MANY ways, it just depends on how far they would want to stretch the definition of “within PayPal”. For example, let’s say this happened 2 years ago. You share a post on the book of faces that shows the VERY odd occurrence that happened on the news that suddenly showed a huge increase in votes for potato Joe really late in the night. You also had recently been paid via PayPal for some hunting equipment that you just sold. PayPal now fines you $2,500 for spreading misinformation because the money that they handled could be funding you and helping you to spread the “misinformation”, because you used some of that money to order some take out.

Is it a stretch? You better believe it. Has this sort of thing been done in the past? Yes. Do companies always follow the letter of their rules and regulations? Just ask the people who get shadow banned on YouTube, or put in the book of faces jail for sharing what the CDC says.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucknaked View Post
                        Wells Fargo definitely could not afford it- so there’s that

If every bank put that policy into effect all at the same time, a majority of the population would just roll over and take it. If you can’t take your business anywhere else, you only have 2 options. 1. Go out of business or, 2. Just stop posting anything that companies deem as negative.

We have already seen with the vaccine mandates that people would rather loose freedoms than risk loosing their job.

Comment

I tried closing my PayPal Credit account on Saturday, went through all of the steps, and even got a confirmation number to confirm it. Now when you try to close the Credit account, it does not give you the online option to close the account that it gave me on Saturday. You now have to call or close the account via email. The PayPal Credit account has to be closed first before you can close the normal PayPal account. 2 days later my PayPal Credit account has still not been closed. I’ll have to call them tomorrow morning when I can sit on hold for a couple of hours to get this done.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by 91cavgt; 10-10-2022, 02:32 PM.

Comment

I closed my account. I rarely used it so not a big deal on my end. Hopefully they lose a ton of users.

Comment

Another company that tiptoed into the get woke go broke trap. What kind of doofuss comes up with a fine based on politically correct thought? Hopefully, the virtue signaling dweebs that came up with that silly idea have been shown the door.

Comment

Originally posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
                                Another company that tiptoed into the get woke go broke trap. What kind of doofuss comes up with a fine based on politically correct thought? Hopefully, the virtue signaling dweebs that came up with that silly idea have been shown the door.

Not likely. Keep in mind that these terms of service aren’t something that a couple of people put together. This is something that committees put together, it then goes to legal teams for any refinements, then it goes back to committees to be finalized. This was no “accident”. It was done purposely, but the backlash was a LOT bigger than what they thought it would be and they are now dealing with the consequences of their actions.

Comment

Working...
                                X