Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 09-27-2020, 10:38 PM   #51
ByronB
Ten Point

My avatar pic is from the Aransas Wildlife Refuge. You can see all of the caliche dust on our vehicle. When I was a kid I hunted with my Dad out there.....ages 10-18. I can tell you this......I can still hear the humming noise of the mosquitoes from that place. I have seen guys running down senderos trying to get back to their vehicles because of the mosquitoes. They just were not aware of the situation. It’s like nothing you will ever hunt I can promise you that. I would go back but the mosquitoes keep me away from that place. Did I mention mosquitoes?!?!?!? Like others mentioned.....mosquito netting....lots of mosquito spray. Bring several cans. If you do not put spray on your eyelids they will bite you there. I am not kidding. Enjoy the hunt.
ByronB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2020, 11:25 PM   #52
Romulan
Four Point

Hunt In: Public Lands

Wow! I'll be definitely looking into a mosquito net and plenty of ThermaCell - I'll also bring my guile suite and Hawk Quad Pod (10 foot)
Romulan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2020, 11:35 PM   #53
ByronB
Ten Point

I have to admit I always looked forward to the hunts when I was a kid. We found a deer lease when I turned 19. I went soft after that. LOL
Old 10-03-2020, 06:33 PM   #54
warrenm0624
Four Point

Hunt In: Campbellton

This place is humbling. Anybody doin any killin?
warrenm0624 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2020, 03:40 PM   #55
warrenm0624
Four Point

Guess not. I’m gonna kill a buck tonight.
Old 10-04-2020, 05:03 PM   #56
SoTXAg06
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca Co. TX, Arkansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenm0624 View Post
Guess not. Iím gonna kill a buck tonight.

How bad are the mosquitoes? At least I have until December to find out. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SoTXAg06 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2020, 05:29 PM   #57
warrenm0624
Four Point

They are pretty rough. But between off, thermacell, and wind, it’s manageable.
Old 10-04-2020, 05:30 PM   #58
SoTXAg06
Ten Point

Quote:
They are pretty rough. But between off, thermacell, and wind, itís manageable.

Good to know. Kill a big one.

Old 10-05-2020, 08:53 AM   #59
Bonehead2314
Eight Point

Hunt In: Anywhere

How are things going in skeeterville.
Bonehead2314 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2020, 10:13 AM   #60
RifleBowPistol
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazeofCory View Post
Would you recommend a climbing tree stand, ground blind or neither?

Sometimes you can find trees you can climb and hunt out of, but bringing a tripod about 8ft. to 10ft. high is, usually your best bet. In many areas, the oak brush is very thick, the grass can be fairly high also. I have used a pop up blind once, with the grass out there, it was hard to find a spot to get it sit properly, without cutting a spot bare by hand. I did not see much from the ground blind, when I set it up. I think I saw a couple of deer, but did not have much of a shot, because of the height of the grass.

A lot of the area, is soft sand, so expect tripod legs to sink. Basically bring some boards to put under the legs of the tripod. There are areas, that are hard black clay, towards the west side of the place, but we did not hunt those areas a whole lot, but we did hunt some of those areas, and saw both deer and pigs.
RifleBowPistol is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2020, 10:20 AM   #61
RifleBowPistol
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaiahcruz16 View Post
Hoppers landing is the place. They have hook ups for rvs and campers, places to pitch tents by the water, the bar may or may not be open, and they have cabin you can also rent but they to may or may not be in use.
Yep, that's the name of the place. We rode out a hurricane in a tent there one night. Was pretty crazy deal, all we could do was laugh, once we realized what we got ourselves into.

We liked the place, I would go back and camp there, hang out there.
Old 10-05-2020, 10:26 AM   #62
RifleBowPistol
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronB View Post
My avatar pic is from the Aransas Wildlife Refuge. You can see all of the caliche dust on our vehicle. When I was a kid I hunted with my Dad out there.....ages 10-18. I can tell you this......I can still hear the humming noise of the mosquitoes from that place. I have seen guys running down senderos trying to get back to their vehicles because of the mosquitoes. They just were not aware of the situation. Itís like nothing you will ever hunt I can promise you that. I would go back but the mosquitoes keep me away from that place. Did I mention mosquitoes?!?!?!? Like others mentioned.....mosquito netting....lots of mosquito spray. Bring several cans. If you do not put spray on your eyelids they will bite you there. I am not kidding. Enjoy the hunt.
You have been there. Can't understand what that place is like, till you have spent about three or four days there. I started hunting that place back in 1986, hunted it almost every year, till sometime in the mid to late 90s. It's tough, will really test your ability to deal with biting bugs. It was always a fun adventure.
Old 10-05-2020, 10:33 AM   #63
RifleBowPistol
Ten Point

Hey, if anyone that is down there right now, wants some info on actual spot to hunt, with high likely hood you will find something, send me a PM. You might have to walk around a gator or two, but I have never been to that spot, without seeing a nice buck or a pig. You will need a tripod to hunt the area, that or just walk it and be fast on the draw, we did that a few times. There may be a oak tree or two you might be able to climb up in, that you could hunt out of. You should look the place over in the day. Then get up and on your way out there by 5:00 am at the latest, it's a long drive down there.
Old 10-05-2020, 10:51 AM   #64
Strummer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: At Gary's place ,and the backyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
Hey, if anyone that is down there right now, wants some info on actual spot to hunt, with high likely hood you will find something, send me a PM. You might have to walk around a gator or two, but I have never been to that spot, without seeing a nice buck or a pig. You will need a tripod to hunt the area, that or just walk it and be fast on the draw, we did that a few times. There may be a oak tree or two you might be able to climb up in, that you could hunt out of. You should look the place over in the day. Then get up and on your way out there by 5:00 am at the latest, it's a long drive down there.

Sounds like point pasture road area .
Strummer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2020, 11:07 AM   #65
RifleBowPistol
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipeliner1 View Post
I doubt you’ll get any shots close to 800yds,they purposely keep the gun hunts in the thick part of the refuge so people don’t shoot each other.The open parts of the refuge around the coastal area are also where the Whooping Cranes are for the winter so they keep people away from there.
No, the deal is and has been forever. For the rifle hunts, they close down any area that is close to the intercoastal side, south shore line. I think even the west shore line. It's because the whooping cranes are in those areas, starting in November, they don't want you anywhere near the whooping cranes. You want to hunt the place in October. All of our good spots are closed off, during November and December.
Old 10-05-2020, 11:09 AM   #66
RifleBowPistol
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
Sounds like point pasture road area .
I forgot, you are from Victoria area, you have probably been there a few times.
Old 10-05-2020, 12:34 PM   #67
warrenm0624
Four Point

Dern, full draw this morning on a nice 8 at 10 yards but he was coming at me. Saw me and bolted. I’m gonna kill one tonight.
Old 10-05-2020, 07:36 PM   #68
SoTXAg06
Ten Point

Quote:
Dern, full draw this morning on a nice 8 at 10 yards but he was coming at me. Saw me and bolted. Iím gonna kill one tonight.
Ugh, that sucks. Good luck, kill a big one!
Old 10-08-2020, 08:13 PM   #69
RifleBowPistol
Ten Point

I was going to say, all you can hear on this post is the crickets, but I am guessing that sound is mosquitos, I hear. Sounds like the mosquitos won again.
Old 10-08-2020, 08:49 PM   #70
Strummer
Pope & Young

Quote:
I forgot, you are from Victoria area, you have probably been there a few times.

I hunted it for about 7 or 8 years with Thumper .
Old 10-08-2020, 09:06 PM   #71
RifleBowPistol
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
I hunted it for about 7 or 8 years with Thumper .
If you hunted it that many years, you know what walks out there.

I was just thinking about that the other day, guys that post up there are no deer in this place or that place. Or they claim the locals have poached all of the deer, so there are none left. My thoughts are, so why do the locals keep going back to that place, if the deer have all been killed off? I think it's a case of the locals have figured the place out and the out of towners have not.

Basically, we kept going back to the Mosquito refuge for a long, time, it was not because we liked feeding the mosquitos.
Old 10-08-2020, 09:12 PM   #72
Strummer
Pope & Young

Quote:
If you hunted it that many years, you know what walks out there.

I was just thinking about that the other day, guys that post up there are no deer in this place or that place. Or they claim the locals have poached all of the deer, so there are none left. My thoughts are, so why do the locals keep going back to that place, if the deer have all been killed off? I think it's a case of the locals have figured the place out and the out of towners have not.

Basically, we kept going back to the Mosquito refuge for a long, time, it was not because we liked feeding the mosquitos.

Yup . People really donít know the potential of the place .
Old 10-08-2020, 09:54 PM   #73
Colorado87
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas, Colorado

Quote:

Iím headed down for the December hunt. Iíd love any spots, tips or advice you have to offer.

Colorado87 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-08-2020, 10:43 PM   #74
RifleBowPistol
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado87 View Post
Iím headed down for the December hunt. Iíd love any spots, tips or advice you have to offer.

I wrote a book, I sent to some guy, a couple days ago. I get his name, see if he can send you the book I wrote. Once I got started, I kept thinking of things, it turned into something like 8 messages.
Old 10-09-2020, 02:11 AM   #75
fish4food
Ten Point

If it can get passed around, I’ll be down there in November.
fish4food is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-11-2020, 10:34 PM   #76
frogfuz
Nubbin' Buck

This was my first hunt at Aransas NWR. I did my research, took advantage of early access for scouting and met some great guys that hunt there a lot.
I'd like to poll the group.
Would you hunt a taped area?
I know at least one of you that, if honest, says 'yes'.
Seems that when I had to head home after it appeared the high winds Thursday tried to win a wrestling match with my tent, that missing an evening and a morning hunt makes it fare game. Good job dude on your 3 hogs. And thanks for leaving before my return. But maybe if I was able to meet you, I could have helped retrieve the other two hogs as my game cam only has you dragging one hog by my 2nd stand area.
frogfuz is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2020, 09:53 AM   #77
fish4food
Ten Point

Kinda iffy as this was the first hunt down there. Last time I got drawn down there we were told by the refuge officer to use a certain color tape. If it was not that color tape it was because it was left from a previous hunt.

I did hunt a taped area. (Not the color of hunt I was on) No other hunters were around as it was from a previous hunt. Your situation obviously different.
Old 10-12-2020, 10:11 AM   #78
warrenm0624
Four Point

I hunted around tape quite often. Every right of way was taped off and those are essentially the only way to get around. So I just walked right on past those.
Old 10-12-2020, 08:00 PM   #79
Sideler
Ten Point

I don’t like seeing tape on public land.
Sideler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2020, 09:19 PM   #80
ByronB
Ten Point

When did they start allowing tape to be put on sendero’s out there? No dog in the fight but I think that is crazy. You pretty much have to walk the sendero’s to get to where you want to go. I have hunted a lot of areas there. Many I do not even remember. I do remember hunting quite a bit around Bergentine Lake. Always saw deer around there. There were some places we would walk and we would never see any other hunters. My Dad and his buddies hunted that place for so long they knew their way around some of the better areas. They drug some deer and hogs off that place and it wasn’t easy.
Old 10-15-2020, 11:55 PM   #81
ppeeks59
Four Point

Permethrin soak all of your clothing, head net (screw the warnings), gloves. Permethrin is your friend. It worked extremely well last year -- the beasts die on contact. Anything not covered with Permethrin-treated clothing, use more DEET or PICARIDIN than you think is safe or smart, and at least you won't die of loss of blood to the skeeters.
ppeeks59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2020, 01:37 PM   #82
RockTippedStick
Ten Point

Hunt In: Liberty, Tyler, Polk

Some of the tape was put up by the refuge. It marks off areas where no vehicle or bike can cross. They blocked off a couple of the small interior roads. They also mowed more right of ways and senderos to help the hunters. The other tape allowed to be used by hunters, has to be biodegradable and a certain color. Example, White for the archery hunt. You can mark your trail to help navigate but are supposed to pick it all up at the end of the hunt. I am curious to hear how the hunting ended up with the new senderos and closed roads. Numbers of animals taken and how hunters liked it from years past.
RockTippedStick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-29-2020, 10:45 PM   #83
Txcatsailor01
Six Point

Hunt In: North Texas

I hunted the early Oct hunt and it was a great hunt. It was my first time there even though I was raised in CC. I used a 10’ tripod and am convinced it’s the way to go. I harvested a 2.5 yr 8 point and a 60# hog. The mosquitos are a beating. I always wore 2-3 shirts, snake boots, head net, hat, & 25% up to 98% deet repellant. You simply have to work the wind. I can’t say that it was over run with deer, but I saw a fair amount.
Since they are doing a lot of rebuilding of the facilities there was no cleaning station, water, or cooler. I literally gutted and quartered the animals at the truck and tossed the meat in the ice chest in the field.
It was an incredible week. Since they are utilizing the back gate it made the drive to Goose Island SP a breeze. Goose Is is about 20 mi and Hoppers landing was about 10 mi. Both have plenty of awesome camping and fishing. I didn’t see any snakes or gators.
The Cons: no cooler available, ppl seem to over use the bio-tape and have multiple hunting spots, there was lots of tape on trails near mine but I never saw hunters at the areas. And lots of skeeters!

To wrap up, I’d definanlty hunt there again. Lots of land on a week long hunt and no antler restrictions! Take the week and get plenty of hunting and fishing in ��!
Txcatsailor01 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2020, 10:26 AM   #84
Romulan
Four Point

Appreciate the summary of your experience - I’m going in this December for the rifle hunt - I’m super excited
Old 10-30-2020, 10:28 AM   #85
SoTXAg06
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulan View Post
Appreciate the summary of your experience - Iím going in this December for the rifle hunt - Iím super excited

Same here. Iím planning to drive in everyday since I live in the area.

Old 11-21-2020, 07:08 PM   #86
ppeeks59
Four Point

Took this nice 8 point this morning, first day of Rifle Hunt 2. Mine was the fifth buck brought in by 11am. Ranger said Rifle Hunt 1 was the most successful hunt in the Reserve's history, and Rifle Hunt 2 was starting off with a bang, too.
https://imgur.com/I8uv0RB
Old 11-23-2020, 01:08 PM   #87
caalexander4
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppeeks59 View Post
Took this nice 8 point this morning, first day of Rifle Hunt 2. Mine was the fifth buck brought in by 11am. Ranger said Rifle Hunt 1 was the most successful hunt in the Reserve's history, and Rifle Hunt 2 was starting off with a bang, too.
Congrats! I went to my spot last year and didnt have any movement the first day(had to leave at 1 for a wedding). Went back last night and had 2 different guys shoot within 500 yards of me so I feel a little better about it, but I am gonna change up spots for tomorrow night and wednesday.
caalexander4 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2020, 01:49 PM   #88
fish4food
Ten Point

I was on the first hunt. Wish I had taken a pic of the board.

First day had 18 bucks taken. Largest an 11 point.
Every day after had more deer than pigs taken. At least that’s what the board showed. Lots of shots heard.

Planning on doing a write up soon.
Old 11-24-2020, 05:44 PM   #89
SoTXAg06
Ten Point

Quote:

Awesome, congrats! Did you hunt off of a tripod?

Old 11-27-2020, 07:52 AM   #90
ppeeks59
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoTXAg06 View Post
Awesome, congrats! Did you hunt off of a tripod?

Yes, hunted from a tripod set up at half height (that is, modified to work without the bottom half of each leg), tucked tight into a gap between two mesquite trees. I also have the chair curtained with blind canvas down to below my feet so it really just looks like part of the tree foliage, even when I'm up in it. Saw deer every day (not always shootable, sometimes driving out), shot a big sow on Tuesday morning, after which I had to head for home. Number of hunters and number of deer shot were surprising low throughout the hunt, given the start last Saturday, and the harvest tally was especially surprising given how many deer I saw. I guess others didn't see what I saw. Also, there are huge gators in the water holes -- I stayed away from water.
Here's the pig: https://imgur.com/RABMJIt
Old 11-27-2020, 08:00 AM   #91
ppeeks59
Four Point

By Tuesday midday (when I had to head for home), the big buck of Rifle 2 was still a 10 point taken early last Saturday. But on Monday afternoon I SAW the biggest Texas buck I've ever seen, an absolute monster with horizontal main beams and enormous tall vertical tines, at 230 yards in fading light and high wind. I was not confident in my ability to (1) kill him at that distance in high wind or (2) even if I somehow made a perfect shot, find him in the darkness. He could have gone down in extremely thick brush 20 yards in any direction from where he stood and I would have never found him before the vultures and coyotes got to him. So I watched him walk and told another hunter about him to hopefully get a good shot on him on Tuesday afternoon, after I left. I couldn't hunt on Wednesday.
Old 11-27-2020, 09:52 AM   #92
SoTXAg06
Ten Point

Quote:
Yes, hunted from a tripod set up at half height (that is, modified to work without the bottom half of each leg), tucked tight into a gap between two mesquite trees. I also have the chair curtained with blind canvas down to below my feet so it really just looks like part of the tree foliage, even when I'm up in it. Saw deer every day (not always shootable, sometimes driving out), shot a big sow on Tuesday morning, after which I had to head for home. Number of hunters and number of deer shot were surprising low throughout the hunt, given the start last Saturday, and the harvest tally was especially surprising given how many deer I saw. I guess others didn't see what I saw. Also, there are huge gators in the water holes -- I stayed away from water.
Here's the pig: https://imgur.com/RABMJIt

Awesome, thanks. How were the roads?

Old 11-27-2020, 06:21 PM   #93
ppeeks59
Four Point

Quote:
Awesome, thanks. How were the roads?

It was before the rains came, so they were rock hard bone dry dusty washboard, everywhere. If there's anything loose on your truck, or in your teeth, it would fall out from the rattling. Though it wasn't as bad as 160 miles of worse washboard on logging roads in Northern Quebec, after the pavement ended. So that's how I compare. Some guys think that they should go slow on the washboard, but I think just the opposite. You gotta find the sweet speed where your tires sort of fly over the ridges -- it is right "around" the legal 35 mph limit for my particular truck. Then just watch out for the sand holes and you're good! This weekend's rain will turn the place to mud, for sure, and the dry water holes might actually fill with water, I'd guess.

Last edited by ppeeks59; 11-27-2020 at 06:26 PM.
Old 11-27-2020, 07:29 PM   #94
fish4food
Ten Point

Might just go out next weekend for a standby spot.
Old 11-28-2020, 07:18 AM   #95
ppeeks59
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish4food View Post
Might just go out next weekend for a standby spot.
Do it. There were 18 standby spots available for Rifle 2 and I'm sure they were not all taken. Sunday had the most hunters at 75. First day of hunt (Saturday) was 73, Monday was 66 or something like that, and I left Tuesday afternoon so I didn't see the board totals for Tuesday or Wednesday. That last day was surely not well attended being the day before Thanksgiving. When I checked out on Tuesday midday, though, I was the only guy to have put an animal in the clipboard harvest log for that day.
Old 12-04-2020, 11:29 PM   #96
SoTXAg06
Ten Point

Bump.

A few questions for those who have been. Whatís a good height tripod? Are there places you can sit on the ground in case the tripod isnít working out?

Old 12-06-2020, 02:02 PM   #97
Romulan
Four Point

From what I understand - just depends on where you're located - I have heard that around 10' to 12' - I have a Hawk Quad Pod I've used at laguna Atascosa NWR and it worked great. I have drawn and paid for my permit, but I might not be able to go due to work and school - if things work out I might be able to go for a day .... maybe (probably not haha. Good luck to you and everyone else!!
Old 12-06-2020, 02:22 PM   #98
Romulan
Four Point

I'm sure you can find a place to sit on the ground - you probably know this but I'll just reiterate - just make sure not to silhouette yourself and back up next to a tree or some seriously thick brush - that place is pretty "marshy" find some "islands" within the marsh - I'll be there in the spring for some picture taking!
Old 12-07-2020, 12:50 PM   #99
SoTXAg06
Ten Point

Bump. Anyone scouting Friday? Iím planning to, but Iím not exactly sure when I will make it out.

Old 12-07-2020, 03:27 PM   #100
Towboater
Four Point

Hunt In: Cameron & Willacy County

Quote:
Bump.

A few questions for those who have been. What’s a good height tripod? Are there places you can sit on the ground in case the tripod isn’t working out?

I was there for the last hunt, and the only places that I found to hunt off the ground was near watering holes, fire breaks, boundary lines, and some of mowed lines they created. If you want to hunt these you better be in line early during scouting day. Hunters seem pick those spots first. I arrived at the refuge at 1200 on Friday, and these spots were already marked off. I used a 6 ft tripod which works ok to see over the tall grass and brush. Unless you have help or a light tripod it will a pain trying to setup going thru the high grass and brush. Most of the watering holes I hunted had only small puddles if that. They have waist high grass around them with some skinny reddish brush right on the edge of the watering hole. Which makes it difficult to shoot anything near the water.
Towboater is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top