Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 09-23-2020, 11:51 PM   #201
Whalerboy67
Spike

Hunt In: South Texas

I only had one hunter come across where I was hunting last year. But that was my fault ‘cause I set up on close to a road trying to sneak on a couple nilgai. Other than that, I only saw other hunters before and after the hunt. The number of hunters appeared to decrease significantly as the days went by. The last couple of days there were few of us out there.
Whalerboy67 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2020, 11:48 AM   #202
reaganandkristy
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: All Over, Often

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBludau View Post
2nd Draw and the A-Team returns!

I'm going to go ahead and call it now, I'm killing a bull this hunt!

So its me and my 11 year old son, possibly my 12 year old daughter - we were all on the application. First ever hunt here, but not our first Nilgai hunt. I've read a lot of your posts and others and it seems that even though there are 200 permits per hunt, there is a decent success rate. Any advice for a dad and his younger kids on this hunt? How often are hunters on top of each other?
reaganandkristy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2020, 12:37 PM   #203
GBludau
Eight Point

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Brazos, Milam, Grimes, Victoria Counties, Public land

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaganandkristy View Post
So its me and my 11 year old son, possibly my 12 year old daughter - we were all on the application. First ever hunt here, but not our first Nilgai hunt. I've read a lot of your posts and others and it seems that even though there are 200 permits per hunt, there is a decent success rate. Any advice for a dad and his younger kids on this hunt? How often are hunters on top of each other?
Great that you got drawn. I don't know what you consider as a "decent" success rate. I've calculated it from total animals harvested each hunt in comparison to total permits per hunt/# of hunters present. I consider the success rate to be very low. Less than about 10% success rate for any animal (doe, buck, nilgai, hog). 10% success rate would mean at least 20+ hunters were successful if all 200 were present, not including hunters who harvested more than 1 animal. Less than 1% success rate for a mature buck or mature nilgai with a bow.

I'm not a father, so I can't back up any advice for a father and younger kids for this hunt other than that I would personally would not take kids that age on this hunt. Some have before, and I know of 1 that was successful. Archery hunting LA is not a simple task with kids, I imagine. Heck its not simple solo as an adult, and if you do actually kill a deer/nilgai it is very challenging to retrieve the animal with a team of 3 or more adults. I don't see kids being any easier.

There has been several days where all my hunts were interrupted by other hunters. Some days were very frustrating because I couldn't shake other hunters and not have a disturbance. Part of the challenge.
GBludau is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2020, 01:41 PM   #204
Spoiled_TN_boy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public Land

Quote:
Which dates did you draw?

If it's the Dec 4-8, I'm game to help with the kiddos.
I have a 12 yr old boy, although he didn't apply for this hunt. Helping a youngster have fun would be worth donating my time and scouting efforts.
Spoiled_TN_boy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2020, 01:55 PM   #205
FlyGuyy
Four Point

Quote:

Thatís awesome that you will be taking your kids with you! They will be in for quite an adventure! I donít know their ability level (or yours) but I would just set expectations around having a great time together outdoors. The place is amazing and really cool to see so much wildlife. The success rates are pretty low for archery, pretty good for rifle tho. But you should still have opportunities and see lots of waterfowl, all kinds of migratory birds (even pink flamingos), deer and Nilgai, bobcats (I think I saw 3), tortise, hogs, lots of javelinas... you or your kids may not get drawn back but I bet it will still be an awesome experience for them to have with their Dad. And if any of you are successful then it just gets even better.

Iíve never hunted with kids so I may not be the best to give advice... but...

I imagine your best bet is going to be corralling them into a pop-up blind to hide the fidgeting and muffle the kid noise. If you see something far away that you can stalk you may be able to leave them there in the blind while you make an attempt? Cell phones work pretty decent out there so you should be able to stay in contact with them.

if they have bikes then I would bring them too as you can all get a little further out. Or it may help just to ride bikes around on the main roads some if they get bored during the hunt. If they all have binos you can ride and glass and keep them busy for a while. Just stay to the main gravel roads and youíll be ok. If you get out onto the dirt you are going to be repairing flat tires all day.

Also, they would probably enjoy hanging out by the check in station to see the critters get weighed in and hear the stories. Worth a stop on your way in/out.

I think itís something your kids will truly enjoy and remember for a lifetime, and hopefully fosters that hunting mindset.
FlyGuyy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2020, 07:45 PM   #206
CentralTXHunter
Six Point

Accessories from Sherpa arrived today. Really am impressed with the fit and finish of this. Only issue I have now is apparently tubeless bike tires are a pain in the rear to get in. Hopefully my local bike shop gets them in before November.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CentralTXHunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2020, 08:30 PM   #207
SMS
Nubbin' Buck

That’s a pretty nice setup there. I’m looking for a used bike to pick up before this hunt hopefully.

If anyone going for the 11/6 archery hunt is interested in splitting a rental in Laguna Vista I am interested. Flying solo here and will be driving from Austin area.
SMS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2020, 09:31 PM   #208
Huntindad
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerr county & TP&W

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralTXHunter View Post
Accessories from Sherpa arrived today. Really am impressed with the fit and finish of this. Only issue I have now is apparently tubeless bike tires are a pain in the rear to get in. Hopefully my local bike shop gets them in before November.

Why do you want tubeless? Are they better? I am gonna put tire liners in mine. Hopefully, if something pokes thru the tire the liner will stop it. If not I will have the military grade slime in the tube.
Huntindad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-24-2020, 09:59 PM   #209
CentralTXHunter
Six Point

Default Laguna Atascosa 2020

Tubeless with slime is what Iím going for.

Old 09-24-2020, 10:20 PM   #210
Spoiled_TN_boy
Ten Point

You can also get the solid tubes.
Old 09-24-2020, 11:41 PM   #211
Huntindad
Pope & Young

Quote:

I'd be interested to see how that turns out. fat tire ? That is what I have on my Ebike.

If you have to patch a tire on the trail, how do you get the tire to seal to the rim? C02 cartridge? I am all for keeping it simple. this flat preventive stuff adds up in cost.
Old 09-24-2020, 11:48 PM   #212
FlyGuyy
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntindad View Post
Why do you want tubeless? Are they better? I am gonna put tire liners in mine. Hopefully, if something pokes thru the tire the liner will stop it. If not I will have the military grade slime in the tube.

I had liners last year and it was a joke. Didnít do a thing to stop the mesquite thorns. Tubeless is the way to go.
Old 09-25-2020, 01:47 AM   #213
Falling
Six Point

How tall is the grass out there this year?
Falling is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2020, 08:07 AM   #214
TXOUTLAW
Eight Point

Quote:

There are a lot of rattlesnakes here. Be very careful with kids

TXOUTLAW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2020, 10:37 AM   #215
piercebronkite
Four Point

Hunt In: South Texas, West Texas, Colorado

Quote:
I personally wouldn't take my kids on this hunt. Its a long hike in and like GBludau said the success rates are very low. If you're in a blind over a feeder then sure by all means. I couldn't imagine keeping my 10 yr old son quiet and still for an all day hunt over the course of a few days. He would surely get bored.
piercebronkite is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2020, 11:59 AM   #216
Falling
Six Point

If I had kids I'd bring them -- rattlesnakes, swarming killer bees, swirling gators, attacking pumas, ravenous ocelots, raging boars, blood sucking insects -- if they survive there will be some legendary tales to be told.

I'd not 100% focus on actually hunting per say, more about the opportunity / adventure if you are bringing them.

You would need to go slower/keep a watchful eye but overall if you did I think the truck ride to the place is more dangerous than actually getting into the muck.
If you wanted to bring them and are 100% focused on hunting then yeah it would be bad for both you and the kids (think this is true for all hunting events) -- if that is the case, sure leave them at home.

Everything you do each day has risk, if you leave them at home, there is a dozen things they can do, or others to them, while you are gone that would end just as badly, arguably with higher probability. We don't know the future.
Old 09-26-2020, 02:16 PM   #217
gburk
Four Point

I think it depends on the kids. If they aren’t accustomed to low success rates, dealing with mosquitoes & chiggers, and watching where they step, it could be a mistake to bring them. I brought my boys (10&12 now 11&13) last year and theyre very excited to go back and get a shot at the big blue bulls they saw. Unfortunately we’re on a streak of three hunts without drawing blood but that does have the benefit of managing their expectations. Its not like they’re going from sitting a feeder to something totally different. Of course bringing kids will limit how hard you can go but as a father that’s part of the game! As said above the hunt is secondary to the rest of the experience.
We’ll be there for the mid November hunt and nothing gets a pass this year!
gburk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2020, 10:34 PM   #218
RichExotics10
Six Point

Hunt In: Val Verde

Who will all be there for the 13-17th Hunt??

RichExotics10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2020, 10:42 PM   #219
MasterOfNothing
Ten Point

Hunt In: Starr county

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichExotics10 View Post
Who will all be there for the 13-17th Hunt??
I'll be there for that hunt.
MasterOfNothing is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2020, 10:49 PM   #220
ByronB
Ten Point

My Dad began taking me to the Aransas Wildlife Refuge for that Archery hunt when I was ten. Went through all kinds of stuff. Deep water, snakes, gator-infested waters, etc. He would put me in a tree with a whistle/bow and he would go hunt. LOL. Some kids can handle this stuff. By the time I was 12 or 13 I was good to hunt on my own. We always split up. Been lost a few times out there as well. Reaganandkristy.....I would at least take one of them.
ByronB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2020, 12:23 PM   #221
Benson
Four Point

Hunt In: Starr, Brooks, Cameron, Zapata

Quote:

Doesn't that Sherpa cart come with "Flat-Free Wheels"?
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2020, 12:24 PM   #222
CentralTXHunter
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Doesn't that Sherpa cart come with "Flat-Free Wheels"?

It does. Iím talking about for my bike though.

Old 09-28-2020, 12:26 PM   #223
Benson
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falling View Post
How tall is the grass out there this year?
Hurricane Hanna brought a lot of water. Everything is lush green around here as we have had many sunny days since. Aside from Hanna, we have had lots of rain and sun. So yes the grass is tall. Mosquitos are bad too because of it.
Old 09-28-2020, 04:07 PM   #224
JackRyan
Six Point

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Hurricane Hanna brought a lot of water. Everything is lush green around here as we have had many sunny days since. Aside from Hanna, we have had lots of rain and sun. So yes the grass is tall. Mosquitos are bad too because of it.

You arenít joking. Weíve gotten more rain this year down here than any year in recent memory. And yes, everything is very green and the mosquitoes are horrible. So plan accordingly.

JackRyan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2020, 06:55 PM   #225
Huntindad
Pope & Young

With it being real green, would the Nilgai be more inclined to feed out in the open grassy areas?
Old 10-01-2020, 03:26 PM   #226
CentralTXHunter
Six Point

Millennium came in this week. Got it assembled and tested mounting and hauling it on my game cart. Made a few tweaks to the game cart. I added some cheap foam pipe insulation to cushion the cart from the tripod. Couple of straps and it pulls great! Relatively quiet as well with the addition of the foam. Still plenty of room to stow my backpack and whatever else. Carries much better with the seat removed from the tripod. Itís an easy reinstall and i can unpack and assemble the stand in under 3 minutes. Still need dang tires, but we are 90% there.

Old 10-04-2020, 06:34 PM   #227
Huntindad
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogStalker View Post
I would absolutely recommend spare tubes, tube liners, tools, and a pump as stated earlier. Ebikes are awesome till they get a flat. Then youíre pushing a really heavy bike. Those fat tires also come off the rim when flat and rub the fork making it even worse.
yes sir...you are correct. I did have a little juice left to help push the bike. But I was 4 miles into unit 2. Rear tire went flat and 2 CO2 canisters and it would not hold air. LONG WALK back.

I had liners & the high dollar slime. I may pour a butt load of slime next go around.
Met up with Benson and rode around. I took us into some bad stuff. Water/marsh was deeper than I thought. Sorry Ben. I know where NOT to go. my ebike needs a good cleaning.

The good news ...They mowed/shredded the trails/roads. The bad news ...they mowed/shredded the roads. the roads were covered in thorns from bushes and mesquites that were shredded.
Old 10-05-2020, 11:02 AM   #228
Benson
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntindad View Post

I had liners & the high dollar slime. .....The good news ...They mowed/shredded the trails/roads. The bad news ...they mowed/shredded the roads. the roads were covered in thorns from bushes and mesquites that were shredded.
Thanks Huntindad. I enjoyed the tour. It was challenging to say the least. I learned a lot about myself and the area. Mostly how physically unprepared I am. LOL! This hunt will definitely challenge you physically. I was toast by midday when we parted ways.

Liner and slime appears to be a weak solution. I too ended up with a flat tire the following day. I haven't done the forensics on the tire but suspect there will be a thorn hole some where on the side wall missing the liner.
Old 10-09-2020, 06:57 PM   #229
FlyGuyy
Four Point

I was told by a buddy that there would be no in person orientation mtg this year due to covid? Can anyone confirm this? Is there something online instead or just a rumor?
Old 10-09-2020, 06:59 PM   #230
mudmauler
Eight Point

Hunt In: Refugio, Tx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KY_a...ature=youtu.be

mudmauler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2020, 08:20 PM   #231
Spoiled_TN_boy
Ten Point

That did not mention tarping your truck or cattle fever ticks.
Old 10-09-2020, 08:22 PM   #232
mudmauler
Eight Point

There was a separate email for that type of stuff. Basically, just take the MEAT ONLY out of the field and you donít need to do any extra steps.

Old 10-09-2020, 08:45 PM   #233
FlyGuyy
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudmauler View Post
There was a separate email for that type of stuff. Basically, just take the MEAT ONLY out of the field and you donít need to do any extra steps.

? I only got the one email with my permit attached and the rules (which says mandatory orientation at 9am).
Old 10-09-2020, 08:50 PM   #234
mudmauler
Eight Point

Iím sure Sergio will send out another email with your new requirements like they did with us. Weíre hunting now and we just got the updated emails with rules and procedures on Wednesday

Old 10-09-2020, 09:02 PM   #235
RLUM
Eight Point

Hunt In: Montgomery, Walker, Leon and Kimble counties. RSA

I’m here now. Shot a big bull this morning. The orientation is online and if you bring hide out it has to be treated or frozen for 24 hours before it can leave the property. When I went to the check station I caped out my head and the tick lady took my hide, tagged it and put it in the freezer with the tarp I used to keep the animal off the ground while I dressed him. It’s really not that big of a deal but I would bring a couple tarps.
RLUM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2020, 10:53 PM   #236
BigRed323
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Missouri

Mudmauler and rlum, what hunts are you guys hunting right now? None of the archery hunts started till November?
BigRed323 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2020, 09:02 AM   #237
Benson
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLUM View Post
.... Shot a big bull this morning. The orientation is online and if you bring hide out it has to be treated or frozen for 24 hours before it can leave the property.
I spoke to a gentleman at Laguna Atascosa. He said this was not obligatory, but optional for research. He mentioned that there would be no check in or check out.
I was asking about archery dates though.
Old 10-10-2020, 10:36 AM   #238
RLUM
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed323 View Post
Mudmauler and rlum, what hunts are you guys hunting right now? None of the archery hunts started till November?
The exotic rifle hunt from last April got postponed until this weekend.
Old 10-10-2020, 10:40 AM   #239
RichExotics10
Six Point

Well thatís a load of crap for us archery hunters! I understand things get postponed and moved but why right before the archery hunts? Good luck on the rest of your hunt!

Old 10-10-2020, 10:40 AM   #240
Zjesse22
Six Point

Hunt In: Hidalgo County

Quote:
How was game activity? Iím doing rifle hunt Iím January
Zjesse22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2020, 10:58 AM   #241
AWildSwanger
Nubbin' Buck

Iím putting in for the Laguna Atascosa Archery & Muzzleloader, and the Lower RGV NWR East lake and Teniente centerfire January/February. Hopefully can find a tag with one of these, and thankful for the options. Has anyone been on all 3? Preference for one location over the other? Is a .270 130/150grain enough for a Nilgai?
AWildSwanger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2020, 11:19 AM   #242
BigRed323
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Missouri

Quote:
Awesome. Post up some pics.

And thatís plenty of time between this hunt and the first archery hunt.
BigRed323 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2020, 12:00 PM   #243
CentralTXHunter
Six Point

Quote:
Iím here now. Shot a big bull this morning. The orientation is online and if you bring hide out it has to be treated or frozen for 24 hours before it can leave the property. When I went to the check station I caped out my head and the tick lady took my hide, tagged it and put it in the freezer with the tarp I used to keep the animal off the ground while I dressed him. Itís really not that big of a deal but I would bring a couple tarps.

Lets see this big bull!!!!

Old 10-10-2020, 01:09 PM   #244
RLUM
Eight Point

Quote:
Lets see this big bull!!!!

Donít know how on mobile.
Old 10-10-2020, 03:14 PM   #245
Falling
Six Point

Someone post up the board
Old 10-10-2020, 06:50 PM   #246
FlyGuyy
Four Point

Had no idea there was a hint going on! Yíall keep us updated on activity! Looks like I wonít be getting much work done this week, HaHa!
Old 10-10-2020, 07:10 PM   #247
RLUM
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falling View Post
Someone post up the board
No board this hunt but there have been 5 bull taken as of 3 and his afternoon.
Old 10-10-2020, 08:44 PM   #248
FlyGuyy
Four Point

Is this rifle or archery?
Old 10-10-2020, 09:49 PM   #249
RichExotics10
Six Point

Well the hunt going on now is rifle, due to the fact the hunt from last April was postponed. Does anyone if they did a survey yet for deer/Nilgai count? They normally do.

Old 10-11-2020, 01:18 AM   #250
RLUM
Eight Point

Another big bull down.