No announcement yet.

Knife sharpening stones??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don’t know much about the latest sharpening systems, but if you want a short read you can search a post I did here a few years back for one of the bow hunting magazines. I lean toward dry stones and keeping it simple = shaving.

(I’d probably enjoy a fancy system though if I had the extra cash so I’m definitely not knocking them at all)

If you just need touch ups I’d just strop on leather first to see if that gets you where you need to be...or the top of your trick window for small touch ups
    Last edited by Leon County Slayer; 12-01-2020, 08:45 PM.

Comment

I looked and I think the post was too long ago. You can pm me a cell if interested and I can send it. Here’s a screenshot but probably not large enough
      Attached Files

Comment

Get some inexpensive water stones off eBay to learn on. If that clicks with you you can move up to the expensive stuff.

Comment

Tagged

Comment

Just thought I’d double back fwiw and add that the jist of what I learned researching edge refinement told me not to use oils or water on stones. While it goes “against the grain” of what you’d think is involved, those liquids retain metal shavings that then ruin a fine edge and creates lots of chips on your edge. Thought I’d add this to the conversation as it’s often not understood.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon County Slayer View Post
              Just thought I’d double back fwiw and add that the jist of what I learned researching edge refinement told me not to use oils or water on stones. While it goes “against the grain” of what you’d think is involved, those liquids retain metal shavings that then ruin a fine edge and creates lots of chips on your edge. Thought I’d add this to the conversation as it’s often not understood.
              Tried dry and had better results with wet stones...

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
                Tried dry and had better results with wet stones...
                They’ll both certainly get them cutting sharp. If it’s a high dollar knife I’d prefer dry stones and wipe them off. Under a microscope you can tell a huge difference, though that probably doesn’t matter for most folks. Main thing is to maintain a constant angle on each approach that matches the grind fo the final cutting edge angle.

Comment

KING KW65P 800/4000 Grit

I use king stone. It is a Japanese water stone and does a great job. I enjoy sharpening knives and like to sharpen my knives as sharp as I can. This is a cool thread.

Comment

I use the Spyderco tri-angle sharpmaker on my hunting and kitchen knives. It is the best I have found so far. I work in kitchens so have used all kind of stones.

Comment

Working...
                    X