Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mule deer study

pretty interesting read on mule deer.

Issuu is a digital publishing platform that makes it simple to publish magazines, catalogs, newspapers, books, and more online. Easily share your publications and get them in front of Issuu’s millions of monthly readers. Title: Texas Wildlife - Quality Mule Deer Understanding Antler Progression - December 2020, Author: Texas Wildlife Association, Length: 56 pages, Page: 1, Published: 2020-11-23

Give me the cliff notes-I cant see the print on the link well enough to read. Getting old I guess.

Comment

Very informative article, I've never hunted Mule Deer but that study directly contradicts things I've heard people tell me about them. Very interesting.

Comment

Nice article, great study, and thanks for sharing. I can’t say it changed my mind or thoughts towards MD as I’ve always thought of antler development to be just like any other deer species. Peaking somewhere in the middle to 3/4 of their life span and then regressing.

One of those pics looks exactly like a buck in west Texas I was lucky enough to encounter and put a stalk on but when I got within bow range he had gotten out of his bed to never be seen again, luckily I have pics and video of him to always enjoy and share with others.

Comment

Up here they really start regressing at about 6 1/2 -7 1/2. By 8 1/2 we get shorter tines and little extras, kickers. On the ranch we work they tend to crown out on G2 and G3s .

Comment

Looks like a good read for the afternoon hunt today.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Comment

I've been on the Apache and it is indeed a unique piece of property.

Big Smith- the Cliff notes:

-Don't cull spikes or young bucks as it's not a good predictor of later in life antler growth
              -Culling 4 yr olds was most effective at eliminating inferior growth on later years- assuming high end potential growth occurred around 6.5 yrs
              -Most "educated' wildlife managers guessed wrong on aging bucks from pics **
              -Culling won't likely change genetics but will remove that specific inferior buck from the pool

Comment

Originally posted by buck_wild View Post
                I've been on the Apache and it is indeed a unique piece of property.

Big Smith- the Cliff notes:

-Don't cull spikes or young bucks as it's not a good predictor of later in life antler growth
                -Culling 4 yr olds was most effective at eliminating inferior growth on later years- assuming high end potential growth occurred around 6.5 yrs
                -Most "educated' wildlife managers guessed wrong on aging bucks from pics **
                -Culling won't likely change genetics but will remove that specific inferior buck from the pool
                In other words, about the same as whitetails. More proof that God knew what he was doing and man has a hard time catching up !

Comment

I hunted north of the Apache Ranch for close to 30 years. Misty Sumner, the TPWD biologist for the area at the time (not sure if she's still there) did a study and it was published I believe on the travel routes of desert mulies. She collared them and tracked them and the farthest one travelled was 50 miles if I remember correctly.

This article says the same things we used to tell everyone in our group.

Comment

Cool read thanks

Comment

Interesting article. My wife shot a tagged mule deer last year. It is another study they are doing closer to Alpine on the same antler studies. He was tagged in 2013 on a ranch nearby and we watched him from 2015 to 2019 because that orange tag was always easy to spot on him.

Click image for larger version

Name:	07CCD65E-D3DB-4427-9B8C-D1BB44B01363.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	793.3 KB
ID:	24638439

Comment

Tagged for later.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Comment

Great read, thanks for sharing

Comment

Good read, thanks for sharing

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                              In other words, about the same as whitetails. More proof that God knew what he was doing and man has a hard time catching up !
                              Oh I like that.

Comment

Working...
                              X