Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So you want day time pictures??

Let me start by saying:
    I know the best supplemental feeding situation is to let all the deer eat all the supplemental feed they want whenever they want it.

But, if you're like me and:
    You only have "X" amount of dollars to spend on deer and deer hunting
    You only have "X" amount of days to hunt
    You want to maximize to the extent you can the antler potential of the deer you hunt...

Then you have to be effective with your feed strategy. I've come around to the big boy Boss Buck feeder, w/ Hammer Time timed release operation, and Coon Hoods. The deer feed when i want them to, and they eat a LOT. Basically no waste by coons, weather, or other. Not a single picture of a coon even trying to deal with the Coon Hoods. I've been very pleased with this set up. It's a little expensive, but the money saved in feed not wasted is huge. As is the fact that you get deer eating during hunting hours, not at 3 or 4 a.m.

I'm not a schill for any of these manufacturers, but the combo of the three is great. If you decide to go this route, you'll need to get some longer feeder legs built. I need to adjust my evening time ending to be closer to sunset. Right now it shuts off at 9:00, which is obviously way too late.You'll also need a tall ladder to fill. Just my experience.
    Attached Files

Thanks for the info on that feeder. I will be attempting something like this soon

I would like to hunt that fat 8 point in the third photo!

Comment

Very interesting, so corn only releases during set times? Spinner? They are trained on timing? I like it.

Comment

Good post. I’ve never tried those feeders that only allow access during set times. How’s the learning curve for the deer?

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
          Thanks for the info on that feeder. I will be attempting something like this soon

I would like to hunt that fat 8 point in the third photo!
          I'm on him.

Comment

Originally posted by bow4my2 View Post
            Very interesting, so corn only releases during set times? Spinner? They are trained on timing? I like it.
            Feed only releases during the times you set. That feeder is gravity fed. When the gate opens, the feed falls through, and the deer can eat all they want during that time period.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunteraudit View Post
              Good post. I’ve never tried those feeders that only allow access during set times. How’s the learning curve for the deer?
              They learn remarkably quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by mikemorvan View Post
                They learn remarkably quickly.

I agree with this. We switched to the Hammer system 2yrs ago. Best thing we ever did. We feed for about 20min in the morning and only open it to fill the tube in the evening. It goes off at the same time as the corn feeder so they learn pretty quick same as they learn when the corn feeder goes off. Im not going to say that it has saved us a ton on feed, but it has saved us money. I like the coon hood idea. I put a 3 strand electric fence around my pen for the coons.

Comment

Originally posted by bowaddict40 View Post
                  I agree with this. We switched to the Hammer system 2yrs ago. Best thing we ever did. We feed for about 20min in the morning and only open it to fill the tube in the evening. It goes off at the same time as the corn feeder so they learn pretty quick same as they learn when the corn feeder goes off. Im not going to say that it has saved us a ton on feed, but it has saved us money. I like the coon hood idea. I put a 3 strand electric fence around my pen for the coons.
                  I agree 100%. The deer will eat the feed. They just learn when to show up at the trough. They drained that feeder in about 3 weeks. I was shocked when i found it empty this weekend. But, there was no feed on the ground, and not a single picture of coons doing chin ups on feeder ports. The coons just don't even try. That's the most amazing thing. I feel better knowing that i'm feeding deer, and not varmints.

Comment

Originally posted by mikemorvan View Post
                    I agree 100%. The deer will eat the feed. They just learn when to show up at the trough. They drained that feeder in about 3 weeks. I was shocked when i found it empty this weekend. But, there was no feed on the ground, and not a single picture of coons doing chin ups on feeder ports. The coons just don't even try. That's the most amazing thing. I feel better knowing that i'm feeding deer, and not varmints.

Yea me too. I had about 15 coons every night until I put my electric fence up. Have zero now.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunteraudit View Post
                      They learn real quick. I have sat and watched them congregate around my feeder about 5 minutes before it opens. Standing there looking at it, they know exactly what time it opens.

Comment

Working...
                      X