What would you build?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would you build?

I have a savage 30-06 donor rifle I want to build a new rifle off of, main purpose is to have a little more power than my short action rifles. More than likely the main use will be hunting Colorado mule deer and elk.

I’ve considered a 280ai carbon barrel. What other ideas do y’all have?

I'd just see how well it shot as a .30/06...Or the same barrel could be re-chambered to .30 Gibbs. But that's just me.. Nothing wrong with a .280 Ackley, either, I have one, with a Lilja barrel.
    Last edited by softpoint; 04-26-2022, 08:59 PM.

Comment

A fast twist 6.5-284 Norma would be a wicked round also.

Comment

Would a 30 PRC fit that action? Or one of the Noslers?

Comment

I'd leave it. If you're wanting to tinker I'd just put a barrel on it with a twist rate for whatever bullet you're wanting to shoot. A 30-06 will do anything you could ever want.

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
            I'd leave it. If you're wanting to tinker I'd just put a barrel on it with a twist rate for whatever bullet you're wanting to shoot. A 30-06 will do anything you could ever want.
            Already have another 30-06 and 2 308s I’m covered on 30cals unless I go big.

Comment

Until you said Elk my first thought was 25-06 AI pushing the 130 class bullets around 3000-3100. It would be a mule deer hammer. I have mine pushing the 131's at 3270. It hits like Thor's hammer on whitetail and pigs.

Comment

35 wheelen or 9.3x62

Comment

I'd say 280AI or 30-06 AI, that's about the most horse power you can get from that class of cartridge.

The 6.5x284 or straight 284 would also be good options.

We're it me, I'd go with a 280AI 26 inch 8 twist barrel. This would allow you to run any VLD up to about 180 grains and a copper solid up to the 160ish range.

Comment

I would do a 280AI set up to run the 160 Accubonds. Should be able to get that projectile around 2900 fps out of a 26" bbl. Would be a hammer on mulies and plenty stout enough for elk.

Comment

Whelen, or 338-06. Better bullet selection for 338, nostalgia and thump power to the whelen.

Comment

.280ai

Comment

Originally posted by freerhunter16 View Post
                          I would do a 280AI set up to run the 160 Accubonds. Should be able to get that projectile around 2900 fps out of a 26" bbl. Would be a hammer on mulies and plenty stout enough for elk.
                          I hammered a good mulie last year at 300 yards with a 22” 260 using a 130gr Accubond and it performed perfect not worried about mule deer. I know any medium cal cartridge will kill the biggest of bulls at practical distances that’s why I was leaning towards the 280ai and probably running the 150-160gr Accubond.

Comment

Originally posted by bearintex View Post
                            Would a 30 PRC fit that action? Or one of the Noslers?

PRC, no.

30 Nosler yes but doesn’t allow for full potential of the cartridge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I still see some of the 7mm STW ammo on shelves from time to time.
                              It's a bit more than 7mm Rem Mag and should handle heavy bullets some betterer. Would probably need a good muzzlebrake.

https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Kno...0%9D%20barrels.

Comment

Working...
                              X