Shooting help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shooting help please

I'm trying to get really proficient with my recurves because I really want to hunt with them some day. Hopefully next season.

I have a Samick Sage with 30# & 40# limbs. I also have Martin X200 50#. Been spending a lot of time shooting the past month. Started with the 30# limbs then went up to the 40#. I thought I was getting pretty good and took out the 50# a couple days ago. Only shot a couple times but i was accurate. Tried the 50 again today and I'm all over the place. I get a little shaky after holding the 50 at full draw for a few seconds. Maybe it's still a little too heavy for me to shoot well.

However even with the 40# Sage I have a lot of trouble being consistently accurate. Sometimes the arrow flies right where I'm looking and that's really fun. But still, sometimes it doesn't go where I want it to and I'm not sure why.

I think part of my problem is plucking the string. Even when I try to focus on a smooth release I end up plucking the string. I'm sure I have other form issues but I think right now this is the worst of them. Any suggestions on improving my release?
    Last edited by TXbowman; 03-13-2022, 05:39 PM.

Also, is it possibly counter productive to shoot too much when you're starting out?

Comment

Shooting a lot is important. Shooting when fatigued leads to bad form. You have time till hunting season.
      When you have trouble with consistency get close and work on blank bale. Not focusing on where you hit, just form.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Sent you an email.

Comment

Don't assume that you have to work your way up to heavier draw weights. My own experience caused me a lot of grief and pain. I started at forty-five pounds and worked up to fifty-five. My fingers started locking up on me (trigger finger) and the only solution was to back off seven or eight pounds. That fifty-five-pound bow was really topping sixty at my draw length. My suggestion is to take those bows to someone with a good drawboard and scale and have them weighed at your draw length. Most of my Sages fail to draw as heavy as marked and many of my Howatts and Martins trend to the heavy side.

Comment

Might play with diff arrows spine/length/material /fletching/rest/points...Poundage ain't everything..twisted limbs even slight, can be issue..

Comment

If the goal is to hunt by the fall, I'd highly recommend getting some coaching. You can fast track the learning process and avoid a lot of pitfalls.

I bought the Solid Shot Mechanics online course a couple years ago, and wish I'd done it 4 years sooner. There's good free info online, but they don't come with unlimited questions for a certified coach.

Comment

Shoot one arrow at a time during your practice sessions to delay getting fatigued. Work on one form thing at a time.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback!

Comment

Working...
                  X