Looking for a red dot style optics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a red dot style optics

For a while now, I have been looking at a lot of red dot style optics. Got a few different guns I would like to put a red dot style optic on.
    Here is a list of things I want in a red dot style optic. I want something that is durable, that can handle heavier recoil. I would like to find an optic, with at least 3X magnification, upwards of 5X. 2-5X variable magnification would be perfect. So far, I have found zero variable power red dot style optics. I would like something that is somewhat compact, but realize it will have to have some size to be able to have magnification. For a couple of years now, I have looked at the Burris AR 332 and the AR 536. I like it, but it's not going to work on two of the rifles I was hoping to use it on, because the eye relief is too short. I have looked at a lot of different holographic sites, red dot sites, for about two years now. I never bothered to look at the eye relief.

It turns out that by the time, I get the AR 536 mounted on two of my rifles, it is far enough forward, that I would have to lean way far forward. It would be very awkward, to shoot either gun.

I can find a lot of optics that have 0 magnification, and long eye reliefs. But I would really like to have some magnification. Because both guns could easily be used out past 100 yards, but most of the time, shots would be under 100 yards.

Also I don't want to use a multiplier. One gun has a long enough Weaver style scope base, I could probably mount a Sig Romeo 4 or 5 and one of their multipliers. But I think it would be a bit odd. Then some of the Sig Romeo 4s and 5s, can be mounted low for guns other than ARs or use a high mount for a AR. For the guns I have, I would use the low mount. But from what little info I have read, on the Juliet magnifiers, is they are designed for the higher AR mounts. They do come with different spacers, but all of those spacers are fairly high. I don't think the Juliet would work with the Romeo optics with the low mount. I may be wrong on that, but but what little info I have found, that sounds like the case.

Then my other gun, the Weaver style base is too short to use something like a Romeo 4 or 5, then a Juliet magnifier.

I have looked at a lot of stuff, just not finding what I want. I started looking at shotgun scopes/optics. I figured I would find something for a shotgun that would do what I want. But really did not find much. I did find a Leupold shotgun scope that seems like it might be a good choice. But if it's a regular size and shape scope. I would not need a longer eye relief.

The Burris AR 332 and the AR 536 or the Vortex Spitfire optics are all very close to what I am looking for, other than the short eye relief.

Any ideas. As for the guns, one is my T/C Contender carbine, the other is a Savage Model 24, that I would like to be able to use as a rifle and shotgun. I would guess, I probably need around a 5" to 6" eye relief with either gun, if I used something like a AR 536.
    Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 05-15-2022, 12:41 PM.

I also have another question, similar subject. I decided I want to put a holographic sight on one or two of my pistols. From everything I am seeing, it looks like the slide has to be machined to install the mount for the sight. I was hoping there is some company that would make a holographic sight that would use the existing dove tail groove in the slide for the stock rear sight.

I am guessing that mounting a holographic sight on top of the slide would put it up too high, is the reason, that is not done? I can machine the slide pretty easily, but I would rather not have to do so. Unless I could find another slide, so I could put it back to stock.
    Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 05-15-2022, 12:43 PM.

Comment

I have looked for something similar, unsuccessfully. I have a Savage Model 42, that’s a .22 mag over a .410. I wanted a 3x red dot with long eye relief so one could shoot it with both eyes open as a shotgun, looking “around” the optic, or aim precisely with magnification for rifle shots.

An illuminated scout scope would work, but nobody offers one that I’ve found. Leupold makes some 1.5-4x scopes with illuminated dots, I have one on an AR and just verified that the dot is visible with unlimited eye relief, even if the image isn’t clear through the scope. This means you could use it in rapid, awkward positions like a charging hog.

The other option for a prism optic would be an extended rail like this.

The NightSnipe Sightmark Wraith Extension Mount adds an additional 3.5 inches of rear extension! Perfect for a natural shooting position.

I ordered a long picatinny rail and was going to try something similar with the Savage, but it has a hammer I need to keep easy access to.

Not sure what you mean on the “holographic” pistol sight, I’ve only seen red dots on them. The slide milling not only allows it to cowitness with suppressor height sights, but provides a recoil lug. An optic riding on top of a slide sees a lot of abuse, and many that were screw mounted ended up breaking. FWIW I wouldn’t consider anything but an RMR for a carry gun.

Comment

What I found, is the optics like the AR 536, being shorter, mainly on the rear side. So the rear lens is quite a bit farther forward. That's where the eye relief becomes a problem. The eye relief on both the Burris AR 332, 536 and the Vortex Spitfires are all around 3" from the rear lens. So your face will wind up near the hammer of the gun, on either the Contender carbine, or the Savage 24. That is not going to work for me.

But if I use more of a normal shape, size scope, where the rear lens, extends back a normal distance for a scope. Then a common eye relief is fine. At that point the rear of the scope would be back beyond the hammer. So I could rest my cheek on the stock in a normal location.

I found there are multiple tactical/AR scopes that have a 30mm tube and usually a 24mm front objective. I don't like that small of a front objective, because it would not have as good of light gathering ability as it could, with a much larger front objective. But those scopes look like the best option. Depending on what part number, I can get a 1-4X, 1-6X and 1-8X. All with various design reticles. Some have more complex reticles than I would want, for a shot gun I am trying to shoot flying birds with. But I found a couple that are much simpler reticles, that look like they would work for fast shooting. So I think I am going to buy one of those and try it out on either the Contender or the Savage. If I like it, I will buy one for the other gun.

I keep trying to convince myself to just buy something like a Sig Romeo 4 or 5, and put that on the Contender. That would make that gun noticeably smaller over all. Most likely, I would not use that gun for much more than 70 yard shots. But I know the 445 is good for quite a ways farther, but not sure about hitting targets very accurately with the Contender carbine, much past 100 yards, reliably. I was very good with Contenders well past 100 yards, when set up as a 14" barrel pistol, but the short barrel carbine, just does not give me much confidence for much past 100 yards.

I plan on buying a couple of Sig Romeo 5s, for a couple of ARs. I should probably just buy one of those and one of the AR scopes. Try both of them out on the Contender carbine and the Savage, and see which I like better.
        Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 05-15-2022, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X