is possum destructive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is possum destructive?

I've been getting some grass damage. I won't call it my lawn because it is down the slope closer to the river and beyond my irrigation system and St. Augustine grass but I still have to mow it. The rooting is enough to cause my ZT to bounce all over creation but is not as bad as hog damage and there is no hog sign. Thought I probably had armadillo issues but all I've had on camera now is a possum. Hmm?

Mole's?

Comment

Armadillos.

Comment

Yes. They will dig small holes to get to grubs and other bugs to eat.

Comment

Just put them some dog food out lol

Comment

It's possible it might be possums. Years ago, I kept seeing a possum in one area of the yard, during the day. I finally went and checked the area to try and figure out why the possum kept going to the same spot. Turns out it had dug a hole about 14" deep and filled the hole with it's babies. There was something like 9 possum babies in the hole. It looked about like someone used a post hole digger to make the hole, it was perfectly round, but no dirt on the surface. The hole was hard to find, because the possum left the carpet grass on the surface. The carpet grass was being used like a door, to cover the hole. Basically a flap of carpet grass over the top of the hole. It took me a while to find. I think the only reason I found the hole, is I stepped in it.

I have never heard of or seen, that before or since. But since then I do know possums dig holes, I thought they only climbed trees.

Comment

Definitely Armadillo's my father in law has the same issue in Pecan. Look into "The Armadillo Trap" they are expensive but they work wonders. I bought one for him and in the past 2 weeks he has caught 3 armadillos in his yard

Comment

Send me pictures 972 815 9064 ill tell you exactly

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                  It's possible it might be possums. Years ago, I kept seeing a possum in one area of the yard, during the day. I finally went and checked the area to try and figure out why the possum kept going to the same spot. Turns out it had dug a hole about 14" deep and filled the hole with it's babies. There was something like 9 possum babies in the hole. It looked about like someone used a post hole digger to make the hole, it was perfectly round, but no dirt on the surface. The hole was hard to find, because the possum left the carpet grass on the surface. The carpet grass was being used like a door, to cover the hole. Basically a flap of carpet grass over the top of the hole. It took me a while to find. I think the only reason I found the hole, is I stepped in it.

I have never heard of or seen, that before or since. But since then I do know possums dig holes, I thought they only climbed trees.
                  I have a hole like that but I would not say perfectly round. I've filled it in several times and it keeps getting dug back out but the odd part is there are no mounds of dirt around it. I just find a clean hole about 15" deep.

Comment

Time for a trail camera

Comment

There's a lot of things it could be. If it's a possum, they are really easy to livetrap. Any kind of scraps or pet food will work. Even fruit scraps. They will eat during near anything. Empty food cans work as bait also. They're nothing but a big rat.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

I'd vote for armadillo too. I had one rooting up my yard and tried a live trap but only managed to catch the neighbors cat. That said, he hasn't been around for a while, maybe I ran him off to happier lawns.

Comment

Originally posted by TexaRican View Post
                          I have a hole like that but I would not say perfectly round. I've filled it in several times and it keeps getting dug back out but the odd part is there are no mounds of dirt around it. I just find a clean hole about 15" deep.
                          I have the same deal but much deeper at the base of a tree that seems to spread around the root system. May have to set up a cam myself

Comment

Time for a six pack and sniper hog light mounted on a .17. Enjoy the peaceful darkness, sip on some brews and snipe a critter.

Comment

LOL I value my sleep and avoiding mosquitoes too much to sit out with a spotlight. If I thought hogs I might consider it. Heck, I guess I could put a motion light out and just watch from the house but have no desire to shoot a possum or dillo. I'll put a trap out and just relocate whatever it catches down to one of the neighborhood nature areas.

To somebody who said time for a trail cam, I have one out. It's just getting the possum and nosy deer.

Comment

Working...
                              X