Question for the Solar gurus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What kind of setup would i need for a stand up freezer? Explain it to me like you would a 5 year old [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by drop dead fred; 05-12-2022, 02:11 PM.

Plug it in at your house for 2 weeks with a kill-a-watt meter so you know exactly how much power you need.

Comment

Battery, Panels, charger/controller, inverter and some wire.
      Will these be the freezers only means of power?

Comment

Good push MrFred, coming and going.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post

Possibly

Comment

I'm about to order the renogy 800w kit to do just that (will power other things as well), but the real kicker is sizing your battery right. 800w will power a fair amount of stuff while the sun is shining, but if there are things that have to run at night (like an AC), you run up the cost quick.

Lithium iron phosphate batteries can be fully discharged, while AGM and lead acid are only good to 50% depth, so consider that.

Chest freezer I have uses 296kwh a year, or 810wh a day. I figure a 100 ah 12v battery will carry it through night time and cloudy days (3 -4 hours of sunlight can take it back to fully charged), since push come to shove the freezer doesn't need to run for 24 hours before it starts to thaw. I'll plug it in to my house as needed, but like the idea of having food preservation capability not reliant on the grid or gasoline availability.

Comment

I’m assuming this is the only means of power for this upright freezer. You’ll need enough that it can handle the big draw it’ll have upon start up. Environment around the freezer and how full the freezer is will determine how often the compressor runs. You’re going to have to figure out how much draw that freezer has. My best guess would be the following:

600W of Solar panels

20-30 Amp MPPT Solar charge controller

400 amp hours of battery storage. I prefer the deep cycle sealed AGM batteries. Probably need two 200AH batteries for this.

1000 Watt pure sine wave inverter

All the wire/terminals/in-line fuses to complete all the connections

Numbers may change some depending on the voltage, amp draw, and starting amp draw of the upright, but that should get you there.

Connect your two batteries in parallel. (Jumper from positive of one battery to positive of the second. Additional jumper connecting the negative.)

Connect your battery to the charge controller. (I have my charge controller installed in weatherproof junction box with a clear access door. I also installed a piece of wood angled above it to shade it.)

Mount the solar panels facing south at about a 60° angle. (From vertical)

Run your positive and negative wires from the solar to the charge controller.

Connect your inverter to one of the two batteries.

Plug in your freezer to the inverter.

Last edited by CentralTXHunter; 05-12-2022, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by matagordian View Post
                Plug it in at your house for 2 weeks with a kill-a-watt meter so you know exactly how much power you need.
                Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                These two post are a great start. Make sure you simulate the temperatures where the freezer is going to be located to get accurate power usage results….

Also, consider that most freezers and refrigerators will spike the initial power required at start up and some inverters will “false detect a short circuit condition” if the spike is big enough…

Post list above is great as well…
                Last edited by Pedernal; 05-12-2022, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Here’s pics of our install at the ranch north of Del Rio. It’s a much smaller setup because it’s only running our 12V water pump (so no inverter needed). All the same concepts though. Figured pictures might help better than words.

Comment

These are the units and batteries I've been using at remote locations.
                    Aims are good people, and they have been on point since the beginning.
                    They got it almost anyway you wanna do it.

If solely dependent on solar & battery you're gonna need a lot of battery if you're keeping stuff in the freezer that you're worried about .

Comment

Thanks guys

Comment

I plugged my chest freezer into a kill a watt around 7 am, and it has used .43 kwh since. That would be a third of a 12v 100 ah lithium battery. I’m thinking ambient should drop at night and use less overnight, but we will see. I’m not looking for a battery bank that can run it for several days though, just overnight.

Probably a lot less power needed to keep frozen stuff frozen vs trying to freeze stuff though

Comment

Originally posted by txbowman12 View Post
                          I plugged my chest freezer into a kill a watt around 7 am, and it has used .43 kwh since. That would be a third of a 12v 100 ah lithium battery. I’m thinking ambient should drop at night and use less overnight, but we will see. I’m not looking for a battery bank that can run it for several days though, just overnight.

Probably a lot less power needed to keep frozen stuff frozen vs trying to freeze stuff though

Please keep me posted…

And any an everyone please take pics of your setups, i do great with pictures [emoji16]

Comment

Freezer information

Comment

Tagged! What’s the price tag on these setups?

Comment

Working...
                              X