Tornado shelter question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tornado shelter question

My son's phone just did a tornado watch for our area so I asked him the question of where would you go. He had the right thinking but was different than my answer. Just want to see what some of yall think. I honestly don't know which is better.

I live in a second story apartment. No floor above me so have roof above. Do have a stairwell on an external wall and front door that leads to a garage on the first floor. Would you in case of a tornado go to:
    1. Ground level in garage (external cheap garage door)
    -I'm worried about tools and sharp things flying around if that cheap door doesn't hold
    2. Interior room on 2nd floor (roof above)
    - have 2 interior rooms that would work. Laundry and bathroom but laundry is more interior and pretty much in the middle of the whole building

Son said 1, I said 2. What do the experts say?

BTW the last tornado to hit in Round Rock was a half mile away. I was drinking whiskey and cooking when they hit and didn't know about them until after.
    Last edited by BigL; 05-05-2022, 02:42 PM.

Wish there was a #3. Being an apartment I don't get the warm and fuzzy feeling with those options

Comment

Comment

Neither one of those feel good to me either but if I had to, I would probably say 1.

Comment

Interior room. Probably bathtub.

Comment

No really good option among those two. I'd pick ground floor though, if there is some kind of closet or under stairwell space down there.

Comment

3. Front pasture, lawn chair, cooler

Neither of those are ideal options, but I'd probably go with #1
              Last edited by cj7zrcool; 05-05-2022, 02:28 PM.

Comment

You need to get in the smallest room of the dwelling.
                Growing up in Kansas, I've sat out a few.
                Basement is the preference. Not sure I've heard of a Basement in Texas.

Comment

Lower level is where I'd be.

Comment

Originally posted by Txhunter3000 View Post
                    Wish there was a #3. Being an apartment I don't get the warm and fuzzy feeling with those options
                    I don't like the options either but it is what it is

Originally posted by Hills of Texas View Post
                    Interior room. Probably bathtub.
                    Yea master bath is possible as it doesn't have external wall or window.

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                    No really good option among those two. I'd pick ground floor though, if there is some kind of closet or under stairwell space down there.
                    No space. Have about a 4' entry with 2 doors next to it. Front door and door to garage.

Originally posted by Bluesman View Post
                    Smallest room would be the laundry room which is also the most interior room. But it's on the second (top) floor.
                    Last edited by BigL; 05-05-2022, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesman View Post
                      Basements are fairly common in the Panhandle, as foundations have to be deeper than the frost line. They're pretty rare in the rest of the state though.

When I was growing up in the Panhandle, everybody either had a basement or a cellar. I hate cellars. Too many spiders and snakes!

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Evil View Post
                        Lower level is where I'd be.
                        Ok that's the garage for this set up.

Comment

For those saying garage, what about the garage door? I don't think it will hold if the wind gets too high. If it doesnt hold, then tools like hammers, screw drivers, etc could be blown around.

Can yall convince me this is better than an interior room upstairs?

Hopefully this is all a what if scenario and I don't need to test out any option. But better to be prepared.
                          Last edited by BigL; 05-05-2022, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BigL View Post
                            For those saying garage, what about the garage door? I don't think it will hold if the wind gets too high. If it doesnt hold, then tools like hammers, screw drivers, etc could be blown around.

Can yall convince me this is better than an interior room upstairs?

Hopefully this is all a what if scenario and I don't need to test out any option. But better to be prepared.
                            The garage door wouldn't hold. And if there's no other protection down there, it doesn't sound good. 2nd floor doesn't sound good either, but whatever part of it is the most protected and sturdy would be the best to go with if there's nothing good on ground level. Best option, IF time allows with enough advance warning, would be to leave and go somewhere else.

Comment

Do you park your car in the garage?

Comment

Working...
                              X