Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Montana Fly Fishing Lodge/Fishing suggestions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Montana Fly Fishing Lodge/Fishing suggestions...

Looking for an all inclusive trip w/ my son this summer on a Montana fly fishing trip.

Don't want to mess w/ meal prep if possible.

Any lodges out there that anyone suggests?

Private cabin would even be better, with potential meal at gathering place with other guests.

Missoula would be ideal.

Looking at Helena or Billings area as well.

In a perfect world, a couple days w/ a guide on a float trip. Then a day or two w/ the ability to venture out on our own a fish some small creeks if possible.

Thanks for your help in advance.

For all inclusive fly fishing lodges in that area (Missoula), you are pretty limited unless you want to spend big bucks (Ranch at Rock Creek, Paws Up etc). There are several outfits that will put you a package together with local lodging, but you are still on your own when you aren't fishing. Also a lot of these will put you up in hotels/lodging in town because Missoula is a great middle ground to fish many different areas depending on conditions. It makes sense, but you are missing out on awesome evenings with views.

My opinion is to book a house/cabin on Vrbo or Airbnb and book a guide yourself (have suggestions if you go this route). They will provide lunch. I know you don't want to mess with meals, but there's no sales tax so you can get away with a week's worth of groceries for all other meals for pretty cheap. Missoula and the surrounding area is awesome for float trips and DIY on small creeks and rivers (can give suggestions on this as well).

Just an FYI, summer is a busy time and most guides and lodging are booked depending on area. If you can swing it, I highly suggest going in September or October.

Feel free to PM me with any questions.
    Last edited by Clay C; 05-02-2022, 04:11 PM.

Comment

I wouldn't leave out Bozeman either. I have never stayed in a lodge fishing up there, but two that I have always been curious about are Kelly Galloup's Slide Inn on the Madison and the Stonefly Inn in Twin Bridges.

The Slide Inn is definitely situated for you to do some fishing by yourself.

This isn't in Montana, but a friend of mine has a lodge in Wyoming that has all that you want including the cabins. I don't know about the walk in fishing in that area, but the Miracle Mile and Grey Reef on the North Platte have great fishing.

Island Park, ID would be another place to look. Trouthunter has motel style rooms and a cafe that serves pretty good food.
      Last edited by El General; 05-02-2022, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Are you willing to consider Wyoming?

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
          Are you willing to consider Wyoming?
          Yes. Assuming airport travel to destination isn't a full day trip.

Comment

Originally posted by Clay C View Post
            For all inclusive fly fishing lodges in that area (Missoula), you are pretty limited unless you want to spend big bucks (Ranch at Rock Creek, Paws Up etc). There are several outfits that will put you a package together with local lodging, but you are still on your own when you aren't fishing. Also a lot of these will put you up in hotels/lodging in town because Missoula is a great middle ground to fish many different areas depending on conditions. It makes sense, but you are missing out on awesome evenings with views.

My opinion is to book a house/cabin on Vrbo or Airbnb and book a guide yourself (have suggestions if you go this route). They will provide lunch. I know you don't want to mess with meals, but there's no sales tax so you can get away with a week's worth of groceries for all other meals for pretty cheap. Missoula and the surrounding area is awesome for float trips and DIY on small creeks and rivers (can give suggestions on this as well).

Just an FYI, summer is a busy time and most guides and lodging are booked depending on area. If you can swing it, I highly suggest going in September or October.

Feel free to PM me with any questions.
            Great info. Unfortunately have to fit it in during the summer. Thank you for great information!

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
              I wouldn't leave out Bozeman either. I have never stayed in a lodge fishing up there, but two that I have always been curious about are Kelly Galloup's Slide Inn on the Madison and the Stonefly Inn in Twin Bridges.

The Slide Inn is definitely situated for you to do some fishing by yourself.

This isn't in Montana, but a friend of mine has a lodge in Wyoming that has all that you want including the cabins. I don't know about the walk in fishing in that area, but the Miracle Mile and Grey Reef on the North Platte have great fishing.

Island Park, ID would be another place to look. Trouthunter has motel style rooms and a cafe that serves pretty good food.
              Thank you. Checking this out now.

Comment

Stonefly outfitters has an all inclusive package with lodging. I’ve fished with rooster a few times and we’ve had a great trip every time.

Four Rivers Fishing Co also hosts trips like you are looking for.

I’d second the north platte with Ugly Bug out of Casper if you were to do Wyoming. Some giant fish coming out of the mile right now.

Comment

Originally posted by jaker_cc View Post
                  Stonefly outfitters has an all inclusive package with lodging. I’ve fished with rooster a few times and we’ve had a great trip every time.

Four Rivers Fishing Co also hosts trips like you are looking for.

I’d second the north platte with Ugly Bug out of Casper if you were to do Wyoming. Some giant fish coming out of the mile right now.
                  2 solid suggestions jaker_cc

If you can cast good go hopper fishing with Four Rivers. Hard to beat any of the guide services that serve the North Platte out of Casper, WY.

Comment

Originally posted by TreeNap View Post

This is an outfitter we used about seven years ago. Can’t remember the name but have their literature somewhere. Once I get my hands on it, I’ll send info your way.

The lodge, as I recall, was just north of Cheyene. Not sure about convenient flights because we made the trip by car.

Comment

I’ve fished the North Platte out of Casper a handful of times, as well as fished around Missoula. You won’t find any better trout water than the North Platte, and I’d second The Ugly Bug for a fantastic drift trip.

Comment

Originally posted by TreeNap View Post
                        You can be in Casper within 3 hours from Denver.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                          3 hrs could be pushing it with the I-25 traffic from Denver to Ft Collins these days.

Call on the Platte water this year so flows may be different than normal.
                          Huge browns in the Platte and you would be near more great fishing, maybe walleye on Glendo.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                            I always fly to Casper.

Comment

Another vote for Island Park Idaho. Stay at Trout Hunter (a couple other places that do meals as well) but fish with Henry’s Fork Outfitters. Fly into Idaho Falls.

Comment

Working...
                              X