No announcement yet.

2022 High School Baseball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And don’t weight train your kids unless you understand the athletic movements you are trying to accomplish. I am a gym ray of 30 years. Baseball kids need deceleration muscles and long lean quick twitch training. I have been lucky and been able to sit down with two great baseball muscle trainers and it was eye opening.

Comment

Son does parkour & informal gymnastics outside of baseball.

Outside of that; walking lunges, box jumps, and supervised seated leg press.

His diet is tops. Protein intake is always about 1.25grams/pound of body weight a day. He's ripped and other parents ask how he's doing it. His muscle fiber striations are visible from his shoulders to his core after exercise.

I'm watching it closely and adding more fats to his diet. Even extra bacon several times a week.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockValue View Post
        So you said "ask me how I know". I'm asking you what your background is as I've told you mine. You always seem to dodge this question when asked.

You obviously seem to be tied to the game but take every chance you get...particularly on the "Select Baseball" thread...to disparage the game and the parents that are only trying to brag on their kids and perhaps learn from others.

If you have ties to the game and presumably at least a former love for the game, why not try to help guide some of these 9U Dads with word of wisdom rather that negative garbage you always post?
        I have been around and coaching the game more then anyone here. And am around it almost daily in some capacity. And went to college for exercise science/sports medicine.

I didn't post any negative garbage. Just voicing opinions on something I know alot about. Sorry you don't like to hear it.

Actually I am breaking down film now on a pitcher. I speak from experience as I have been under the knife twice in direct relation to the topic of this thread, and have lived and learned alot on the sport.

Sorry if you don't agree some dads are idiots and think they know alot

Comment

first ever reply after years lurking on this site, reluctantly replying because it's my business but I do feel obligated to pass some thoughts along...27 plus years employed in scouting and player development for the same MLB team (with pitching as my speciality), and I'm also the father of a kid who pitched/played since 11U with a premium travel outfit and is currently on the roster of a perennial Top 10 collegiate team and College World Series participant 2 of the last 3 years...

What my experience and years tell me about arm care and it's relationship to training is simple...Most injuries occur due to either poor mechanics, a lack of strength, or throwing "too hard/too often" for his particular age, or overuse at a young age.

In this age where velocity and strength are king, alway keep in mind that nothing is a substitute for good mechanics and arm action...you can't continue to develop when poor mechanics or arm actions or overuse keep you off the field...

regarding travel ball, if you have a young player who is asked to pitch more than once a weekend or is used Thursday in pool play than again on Sunday, then you need to find another group...plenty of good options out there who do it right.

My son had internal brace surgery last Nov 1, and by September he was full-speed...it is a revolutionary procedure if done right and the throwing protocols are strictly followed (and done by a guy like his surgeon, Dr Keith Meister). In time it may replace the traditionally longer rehabbed Tommy John procedure...

Finally, regarding rest/arm buildup...I am not an advocate of completely shutting down throwing for any stretch longer than 2 weeks or so. I AM an advocate of shutting down 'competitive' throwing for a few months. The difference is the level of intensity of throwing...let your kids take a break from throwing bullpens or full-bore programs for a couple months post summer, but allow them to play light catch/simple 60 foot toss a 3 times week to keep their fingers on the ball and their basic throwing rhythm...

you ask 10 professionals about arm care, and you will get more than a few answers...it's more of an art than a science, but if I had one piece of advice for any youth parent or prospective young pitcher it would be keep the innings moderated until HS and focus early on clean and efficient mechanics and that alone will allow everything else to fall into place.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamiltonrancher View Post
            first ever reply after years lurking on this site, reluctantly replying because it's my business but I do feel obligated to pass some thoughts along...27 plus years employed in scouting and player development for the same MLB team (with pitching as my speciality), and I'm also the father of a kid who pitched/played since 11U with a premium travel outfit and is currently on the roster of a perennial Top 10 collegiate team and College World Series participant 2 of the last 3 years...

What my experience and years tell me about arm care and it's relationship to training is simple...Most injuries occur due to either poor mechanics, a lack of strength, or throwing "too hard/too often" for his particular age, or overuse at a young age.

In this age where velocity and strength are king, alway keep in mind that nothing is a substitute for good mechanics and arm action...you can't continue to develop when poor mechanics or arm actions or overuse keep you off the field...

regarding travel ball, if you have a young player who is asked to pitch more than once a weekend or is used Thursday in pool play than again on Sunday, then you need to find another group...plenty of good options out there who do it right.

My son had internal brace surgery last Nov 1, and by September he was full-speed...it is a revolutionary procedure if done right and the throwing protocols are strictly followed (and done by a guy like his surgeon, Dr Keith Meister). In time it may replace the traditionally longer rehabbed Tommy John procedure...

Finally, regarding rest/arm buildup...I am not an advocate of completely shutting down throwing for any stretch longer than 2 weeks or so. I AM an advocate of shutting down 'competitive' throwing for a few months. The difference is the level of intensity of throwing...let your kids take a break from throwing bullpens or full-bore programs for a couple months post summer, but allow them to play light catch/simple 60 foot toss a 3 times week to keep their fingers on the ball and their basic throwing rhythm...

you ask 10 professionals about arm care, and you will get more than a few answers...it's more of an art than a science, but if I had one piece of advice for any youth parent or prospective young pitcher it would be keep the innings moderated until HS and focus early on clean and efficient mechanics and that alone will allow everything else to fall into place.
            Bingo! Thanks for the response a lot of good info here.

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
              I have been around and coaching the game more then anyone here. And am around it almost daily in some capacity. And went to college for exercise science/sports medicine.

I didn't post any negative garbage. Just voicing opinions on something I know alot about. Sorry you don't like to hear it.

Actually I am breaking down film now on a pitcher. I speak from experience as I have been under the knife twice in direct relation to the topic of this thread, and have lived and learned alot on the sport.

we have heard all this before, but who do you coach for, or work for now?

Comment

Seriously?

Originally Posted by gingib View Post
                The select world is such a joke now! Parents will spend that money and everyone searching for a ring, that will be thrown away years from now. All an ego game for the parents. Some know what they are doing, most don't.

Ask me how I know dealing with 14 select teams at all levels.

So I've assumed you have an extensive background based on your comments however I've never seen you lend any positive advise. I love the back and forth and opinions shared in these threads even if some is garbage. But no one learns or gains from someone that just runs everyone else down.

Maybe offer up some of your knowledge next time instead of just saying parents don't know anything, select ball "pay for play", etc. There is a glimpse of that in this thread probably due to you addressing other coaches. I'm sure some would welcome your input.

Or not...whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamiltonrancher View Post

Good stuff! What are your thoughts on position players, particularly high school kids? Same type protocol on not really shutting down for extended periods?

Comment

I have been around and coaching the game more then anyone here.
                    Pretty bold statement, considering post #49 following yours.

● There are multiple guys who played in the majors and in the minor leagues on this site;
                    ● There is a current AAA Pacific Coast League hitting coach on this site;
                    ● There is a NJCAA National Champ head coach on this site, and multiple college coaches.
                    ● There are multiple MLB scouts that are on this site;
                    ● There are many, many coaches at the high school level on this site...not just you.

I didn't post any negative garbage.
                    I know this is the high school baseball thread, but you are toxic in the select baseball threads. People call you out constantly and you don't have the cajones to comment back, or like someone else said in that thread, you may just be a moron. Rather than give support or advice in the select threads, for kids having fun playing a game that they and we all love, you just bring it down because of "your vast knowledge"

And on that same note, there are A LOT of coaches at the high school level that are idiots as well. I hope that you don't carry yourself as the arrogant simpleton you do on this site with your players, and **** sure hope you don't in the classroom.

I can go on about this subject if you'd like, but I don't want to derail the 2022 HS baseball thread anymore than it has been.

Good luck to all the boys out there in our great state this year! I will be following along, love HS baseball as much as I do the Friday Night Lights.

Comment

my thoughts on position players regarding arm care/buildup is the same...especially with catchers/SS/3b/2b who do high volume throwing...a break is needed from high intensity throwing for some recovery...During the season, careful monitoring of the throwing load from catchers/INF (who throw everyday in practice) is often overlooked...in a good HS program that works hard in the week maybe a lighter throwing day from time to time is helpful

Comment

Originally posted by Cardinal View Post
                        I know this is the high school baseball thread, but you are toxic in the select baseball threads. People call you out constantly and you don't have the cajones to comment back, or like someone else said in that thread, you may just be a moron. Rather than give support or advice in the select threads, for kids having fun playing a game that they and we all love, you just bring it down because of "your vast knowledge"
                        Spot on. He strikes me as the type of guy that would **** in the chili pot, just to tell everyone you can't make good chili.

I've lurked on all the BB threads, as my 11u son is showing a lot of promise. I'll participate moving forward. Our local HS squad looks to have some promise this year... we know a few of the seniors and my boy is looking forward to going to watch them play.

Comment

Getting close! We (FM Marcus) play our first scrimmages this weekend and fly out to California for a tournament in 4 weeks. Lost 19 seniors last year so a lot of opportunity for some new guys to step up. THSBA put out their preseason poll. We lost to Southlake in the regional semifinals last year and they are loaded again this year. Good luck to y’all’s boys as things start to heat up!

Comment

Originally posted by Full Throttle View Post
                            Getting close! We (FM Marcus) play our first scrimmages this weekend and fly out to California for a tournament in 4 weeks. Lost 19 seniors last year so a lot of opportunity for some new guys to step up. THSBA put out their preseason poll. We lost to Southlake in the regional semifinals last year and they are loaded again this year. Good luck to y’all’s boys as things start to heat up!

i know the heath folks LOVED seeing rockwall above them haha

Comment

I’m ready for it to start but not looking forward to it much. We only have 4 returning starters. I guess we will see how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
                                i know the heath folks LOVED seeing rockwall above them haha

Yea. Rockwell is loaded this year. Barry Rose and his son Mac have been with us the last few summers.

Comment

Working...
                                X