Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first deer kill! Grayson County Buck Down!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first deer kill! Grayson County Buck Down!

Hey everyone I’ve been lurking in the background here for some time and have enjoyed reading the hunting reports and pictures, so I thought I would share my first deer kill. 

I’ve been a hunter for about 5 years and my time is usually spent hunting hogs and ducks because I don’t own a bow and have a hunting spot in an archery only county (Grayson). I’ve killed a fair amount of hogs on my place, but have always seen a bunch of deer and have joked with my deer hunting buddies about how deer keep eating my hog corn. During our dialogs about them I would show them some of the bucks that had been showing up on my cameras and they’ve always expressed that I’ve got some big deer at my place, so after 2yrs of watching them and getting some extraordinary bucks on camera I decided it was time to try and take one down. Since I don’t own a bow I ended up borrowing a buddy’s crossbow (Tenpoint) and on Sunday Jan 4th the good Lord blessed me with one of the biggest days of my life!

I had hunted 2 days straight (Fri & Sat) by myself in the rain, cold, and wind and during that time I must have prayed a thousand times for God to show me something special (With my life and for a great buck). During that time I saw over 15+ deer and let a large 7pt buck walk both days because I knew he just wasn’t the right one for me. Well on the last day of the season I was accompanied by a good friend who had been hunting for over 20 years (He was going to make sure I didn’t let that 7pt buck walk again). After climbing into to my two man tree stand at 6am he shared with me that if that 7pt point comes in again that I need to decide right now that I’m going to shoot it and my response was “Man, I just don’t know. I honestly think God’s got something big planned today”, so me and my buddy through up one of those game changer prayers and right then and there I knew Jesus had some special planned and all I have to say is he went Big! At about 8am this monster walked in behind some button bucks that we’re sparring a few minutes earlier and the cat and mouse of me getting a perfect shot took about 30 minutes, but when the time was right everything went perfect. I was so excited and my poor buddy almost fell out the tree stand because he was hyperventilating! It was my first ever deer kill, with a crossbow that I only test fired once, on a buck I’ve only seen on camera a few times in 3yrs, on a low fence farm, and on the last day of the hunting season. You just couldn’t make it more perfect.

Thanks again for letting me post these pictures and for allowing me to share a small part of the story that took place that day! Oh and that “Thwack” sound that comes when the arrow hits its target is one of the coolest sounds I’ve ever heard!

Last edited by blide; 01-08-2015, 05:28 PM.

Wow. Big time congrats on a bruiser!!

Comment

Great story congrats

Comment

Great job!

Comment

Holy Cow! Great first deer! Great any deer!

Comment

nice

Comment

Good Lord that's a nice firs deer. Congrats and welcome brother.

Comment

Congrats that is one heck of a deer!

Comment

Wow your first deer is a deer of a lifetime for most people!!! Lots of points, lots of mass and a huge body.... Congrats on your trophy!!

Comment

Did you go to Sherman HS?

Comment

First one? Count your blessings....great buck!

Comment

Congrats awesome deer thanks for sharing

Comment

Congrats, he's amazing!

Comment

nice deer

Comment

great buck

Comment

Working...
                              X