No announcement yet.

Texas surf shark fishing thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m not to sure what is measured. I was on a family vacation with some one kinda new to salt. I know when the reel started clicking the fight was on and it drew a big crowd. I was in a big hurry to get the hook out and a picture and back to the water. It did take me and 2 other guys to pull it up on the sand and it was heavy. The fight was awesome

Comment

Then the one that got away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by joevillars View Post

Then the one that got away.

What size cable you running? That is also a very nice ray

Comment

We were in Matagorda all week and caught all the legal blacktips you could want.

Kept the kids entertained.

Comment

Very few things compare to the surf. I've been going with Canoe a few years and we're getting better lol
            I also use steel cable tied to 20+ feet of 500+lb mono for my deployment rigs. For cast outs, I prefer 4 feet of 2-400lb mono and 2 feet of cable. Cast out rigs have a 10-14/0 cirlce hook, deployment 18-24/0 depending on bait.
            If you feel that they aren't picking up your cables baits, try using single stand wire. Kingfish leader material.
            For bait, I really like Jacks. I've never had a run on stingrays. First thing I do when I pick a spot is cast out small gear to catch fresh bait. Whiting, pompana, drum and sheepshead work and can be caught just about anywhere. Bluefish, bonita and skipjack and sand trout are great baits also, but are very soft. Recommend sticking them in a panty hose to keep them out longer.
            More than anything, it's persistence. Been doing it about 10 years and have only recently started catching them.

Btw, those kids are from a random family that drove by as we hooked up. They stopped to watch and I asked if they wanted to fight it. All 5 or 6 kids took a turn and THEY caught a 5.5 foot black tip. They then helped me tag and release her.
            Good luck

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
            Last edited by gatorgar; 07-18-2020, 08:16 PM.

Comment

That's cool. Too bad the beach is closed.

Comment

How is Matagorda looking? Still open?

Comment

Enjoyed the pictures

Comment

Do yall attach your steel leader to your mono with a swivel?

Comment

Originally posted by Muzzy100 View Post

The mono leader

Comment

Since the shark thread has turned into a ray thread, here is a ray I caught in the late 90s near SLP. I was shark fishing with a large sand trout as bait.
                        Last edited by ken; 09-29-2022, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Canoe1 View Post
                          August can be very good, well for others, I can't seem to catch anything anytime anyways

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

My schedule is changing to me having some more time off.... let’s go drew!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Yes, however for any normal sharking from the beach I highly prefer straight 400lb or 550lb mono leader with circle hooks. Get a lot more bites like that and circle hooks very reliably hook into the corner of the mouth and don't need steel anyway.

Comment

When tying mono to steel, always use a swivel. Cable will saw thru mono and wire will slice it like a knife.
                              At the end of your mono leader, use a longline clip. That way, changing out steel leaders will be as simple as clipping on a new leader. Use a float to mark your line. If you get a run or your bait has been out a long time, you can kayak a new baited leader out and not have to reel in your line and start over

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Wade fished the surf in Galveston this weekend for trout and saw no less than 300 sharks in my 45 minute wade.. lol no giants but all around 3 foot spinner sharks.

Comment

Working...
                                X