The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post
    Anybody else already thinking/dreaming/planning for next Elk Season already?
    Of course.
    We had no luck in 2nd rifle season, although did see one 6 point from over a mile away, then jumped him in some thick stuff. He never offered a shot though.

Just got back from third rifle hunt, took a fall on the mountain yesterday and sprained my ankle pretty bad. Can hardly put any weight on it so looks like my season is over.

Comment

Sorry to hear about the ankle man.

Good Luck in Nevada M16!

Two Elk hunts Jon Paul??? Lucky You!!!

Comment

Anybody else already thinking/dreaming/planning for next Elk Season already?
        Always planning for Elk however this time of year(whitetail rut) is pretty much the only time I'm not obsessed with it. I think I am gonna make another run at New Mexico next year. App season is really not that far away. WY Elk Apps will be due at the end of Jan.

Comment

Thanks.

After every season I look at what I used, what I didn't, and what needs to be changed and upgraded,and why? Sometimes it is cost prohibitive to upgrade, other times it is just insane not to.

Also trying to plan what hunts and where, whether I will cash in my points or continue to hunt OTC.

Any of you guys have items on your wish list for next year yet?

Comment

An elk its on the top of my list for next year doors that count?

Comment

Heading out on the 22nd for late archery season in Arizona!

Comment

Originally posted by Floor Man View Post

Had a little luck in Colorado.
                Yea, I'd say so! Awesome elk and congratulations.

Comment

I have a cow hunt in the Gila for my 10 year old son and his buddy around Christmas time. Ready for that one too.

Comment

Good Luck in Nevada M16!

Two Elk hunts Jon Paul??? Lucky You!!!
                    Yes after this year a week is not long enough for me. I am going to put in for AZ, NM(will get LO tag if needed again) and thinking about trying to set something up in CO at the celo vista(just a thought)

Comment

Originally posted by a3dhunter View Post
                      Thanks.

After every season I look at what I used, what I didn't, and what needs to be changed and upgraded,and why? Sometimes it is cost prohibitive to upgrade, other times it is just insane not to.

Also trying to plan what hunts and where, whether I will cash in my points or continue to hunt OTC.

Any of you guys have items on your wish list for next year yet?
                      Hope your ankle heals up quick.

I am pretty good on gear other than i need a lighter weight compact tripod mine is nice but it does not pack well. I still would like to cut some more weight but i have not figured out where other than my tripod, most every thing else is pretty essential.

I am trying to patch up one of my tag game bags as a mountain lion tryed to pull it out of a tree with one of my elk quarters in it, it finally gave up pulling on it and chewed the corner off the bag. I hung them up where the bottom was about 6 feet off the ground to keep it away from the coyotes did not consider a cat.
                      Last edited by Kolpin10; 11-05-2013, 10:03 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by Kolpin10 View Post

I am pretty good on gear other than i need a lighter weight compact tripod mine is nice but it does not pack well. I still would like to cut some more weight but i have not figured out where other than my tripod, most every thing else is pretty essential.

Thanks.
                        I have the Velbon Ultra Max tripod and have been very impressed. I don't use mine when standing up, so I don't need a heavy duty tripod with extra length/extra weight. This tripod handled a 65mm spotter just fine this year.
                        The Velbon was also reviewed on Rokslide.com if you want to read about it.

Comment

only 300 days (+/-) until 2014 Elk Season.

Comment

Originally posted by Kolpin10 View Post

I don't use a spotting scope much...so of course I have 2. For pack in I have a Cullman Nanomax 250 which only costs $60 and works fine but I don't like it as much as my Slik Sprint Pro EZ. I see a lot of guys that use a Slik Sprint Mini.

Comment

285 more days until elk season, what's your plan?

the addiction continues.......

Comment

Originally posted by a3dhunter View Post
                                285 more days until elk season, what's your plan?

the addiction continues.......
                                For me, and my brother (millman) this year ain't over yet! We head to AZ on the 22nd for late season archery! I am working on a 3 year drought ( my longest ever ) that I need to STOP! We don't know much about the area, or exactly what tactics will work, so I am not feeling overly picky on quality of bull. Of course that may change once we get there and evaluate things.

Comment

Working...
                                X