Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post
    Let me re-phrase the question.

Has anyone on the GS ever drawn a premium NM elk tag?
    I know of two dudes that have drawn premium tags, one drew one of the good gila units the first year he applied. I can remember a couple of dudes on here that have drawn premium tags there as well.

Comment

One of my good friends drew back to back gila tags.

What do you consider a trophy?

Comment

I drew one of the best deer tags in the state, and arguably the best antelope tag in the state back to back.

Comment

I drew archery Unit 34 in 2018. Hoping for a repeat!!

Comment

We applied for Montana's General Big Game combo elk/deer. We have paid deposits with an outfitter friend. We are adding OTC black bear and wolf when permits open in Aug.

I've also applied for NM Mule deer in three regions. Looking forward to future adventures.

Comment

Good luck on the Montana drawing.

Where abouts does your friend guide?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sorry, my wording was wrong. Odds will get worse for LQ tags in Wyoming if the 90/10 allocation gets passed. Residents will get a hard quota of 90% of LQ elk tags and NR only 10%.
                However, more General elk licenses will be available due to a hard quota on total NR elk licenses set by state statute. The LQ tags taken away will roll over into general elk tags.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                  Sorry, my wording was wrong. Odds will get worse for LQ tags in Wyoming if the 90/10 allocation gets passed. Residents will get a hard quota of 90% of LQ elk tags and NR only 10%.
                  However, more General elk licenses will be available due to a hard quota on total NR elk licenses set by state statute. The LQ tags taken away will roll over into general elk tags.
                  So, should I be looking to use my 3-4 points in Wyoming or keep saving for the 7-8 point unit that has a little creep where I have an outfitter buddy that can put me on them.

Comment

Originally posted by Felix40 View Post
                    I have yet to draw a premium elk tag and I am a resident. I still get to hunt every year but the odds of a nonresident being successful on the hunts I've drawn is pretty low.
                    How many years have you been a resident? I would have thought that as a NM resident you could have a pretty good (maybe not premium) elk tag every year correct?

Originally posted by El General View Post
                    I know of two dudes that have drawn premium tags, one drew one of the good gila units the first year he applied. I can remember a couple of dudes on here that have drawn premium tags there as well.
                    Knowing it happens gives me hope. Enough hope to throw my $80 non refundable at them again I guess!

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                    One of my good friends drew back to back gila tags.

What do you consider a trophy?
                    Pretty much any free range elk is a trophy. Any bull over 330 is definitely a trophy. A premium hunt though, is a unit with lots of elk, good age structure of bulls and good bull/cow ratio. A premium hunt should also have at least a slim chance of a REALLY big bull 360+ gross.

Originally posted by jaker_cc View Post
                    I drew one of the best deer tags in the state, and arguably the best antelope tag in the state back to back.
                    Y'all talked me into it, again. Hate to donate money to those liberal weirdos but here goes, lol.

Originally posted by armadillophil View Post
                    I drew archery Unit 34 in 2018. Hoping for a repeat!!
                    Good Luck!

Comment

Submitted my donation last night to NM. Likely about the same as most of the Texas draw hunts if not better.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
                        So, should I be looking to use my 3-4 points in Wyoming or keep saving for the 7-8 point unit that has a little creep where I have an outfitter buddy that can put me on them.
                        If the 90/10 proposal passes then more General elk tags will be in the draw for NR and less LQ.
                        That 7-8 PP area may well go to 10+ to draw.
                        Next year will be telling for NR and our elk draw.

We may well end up with say 1,000 more NR general elk hunters across the state. That may well lead to us hunting wilderness areas for the first time to get away from the increased pressure, or we may draw that good LQ tag easier.

Comment

I drew a 16d tag the first year I put in for NM 2010

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                            Good luck on the Montana drawing.

Where abouts does your friend guide?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            We will be out of Missoula up near the Bob. We spent 10 days there this summer fishing the back country. It was amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by ELKAHOLIC View Post
                              I drew a 16d tag the first year I put in for NM 2010
                              Glad you got the tag. NR odds have gotten considerably worse since 2010

Comment

Y'all talked me in to it.

Hopefully I reference this post after the draw to brag about my Valles Caldera Elk Tag and Florida Mountains Rifle Ibex!

Comment

Working...
                                X