Comment

Major fish kill I’m afraid!!!

Comment

Dang, that sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by GoBears870 View Post
          This is not good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You've posted that graph twice now... first time "asking" about the fish kill... and not being a "smartarse"... now posting as if you know what you're talking about...

Not sure what your desired outcome is, but that graph is no predictor of bad things for the fish...

The '83 and '89 kills, the temperature dropped like that in 24-36 hours... as that graph shows, this was a prolonged event over a week... the fish very likely migrated to deeper water and that should help. Not saying all the fish will be OK, but it won't be like the earlier freezes... in the 80's freezes, many fish were trapped in holes that they ran to when the temps started dropping, but they weren't deep enough... With this prolonged but gradual drop, they likely were able to get to deeper water safely.

Leemo makes his living in our coastal waters.... I'm listening to him.

If I recall, the most devastating kills came on mullet and shad and that's likely what will start to show up first... Like Leemo posted the mangrove snapper and snook being tropical fish, could be wiped out here... dang shame too since both had made such a great comeback.

Freshwater lakes that have tialpia will see them hit bad too... They can't take anything below 50-55 degrees, shad too...

Comment

That's not the same graph. It's updated two days later with temperatures that are nearly 10 degrees lower. Please calm down.
            Last edited by GoBears870; 02-15-2021, 09:37 AM.

Comment

This event is child's play compared to 83 and 89.

Comment

I hope so. It ain't over yet. I did see on my phone's weather that Port A was going to be back to 49 deg tomorrow, problem is its 18 right now!!! I hope they are right and it jumps back up that quick! Even 49 is still low there. Sat they show 62.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                  That’s cool if you like 12” trout

Apples and Oranges considering the different ecosystems.

I’ll take my 25 fish limit home and keep catching until my arms wear out over catching 2-3 fish a day. Some days are better on the TX coast, but i absolutely suck in Matty even throwing live bait.

Back home in Terrebonne Parish, it’s a different story. And plastics only

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                    This event is child's play compared to 83 and 89.

Wow that’s crazy. Can’t even imagine how bad that must have looked.

Comment

Originally posted by GoBears870 View Post
                      Wow that’s crazy. Can’t even imagine how bad that must have looked.

I grew up next to Bastrop Bayou in Angleton. In 83 I could walk over to Richwood on the Bayou. Froze several inches thick, no problem at all. And I could do it 4 or 5 days straight. We tried fishing the next summer and it was a complete waste of time.

In 89 the Bayou froze over solid but not enough to walk across. We skipped rocks across it instead. Lasted about 3 days.

There will be a fish kill but those 2 storms were brutal.

Comment

The weather got colder slower. Weather temps have been falling last two weeks. 89 i think it went from 70s to teens overnight. This trapped alot of fish in those pockets that are 5 foot etc. With this event im hoping fish had time to get in deep canals such as the ICW and therefore able to survive. Mother Nature is the only one that knows.

Comment

Found this article in the Victoria Advocate:

Comment

Matagorda has been without Power since about 3:00 am ....water temp went from 43.9 yesterday evening to 35.6 awhile ago, blowing like hell down here, the “bar” ditches headed toward the beach we’re still full, but on the north side of the canal getting a little skinny, in the event there is a kill, probably won’t see any floaters until this weekend on the account that the water too cold to making them start floating immediately...... I’ll keep y’all posted as much as I can, but cell service, I net is limited right now

Comment

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
                              Matagorda has been without Power since about 3:00 am ....water temp went from 43.9 yesterday evening to 35.6 awhile ago, blowing like hell down here, the “bar” ditches headed toward the beach we’re still full, but on the north side of the canal getting a little skinny, in the event there is a kill, probably won’t see any floaters until this weekend on the account that the water too cold to making them start floating immediately...... I’ll keep y’all posted as much as I can, but cell service, I net is limited right now
                              THANKS Leemo!

Comment

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
                                Leemo, Are barges still moving?

Comment

Working...
                                X