No announcement yet.

Stock Markets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ve taken close to a $2000 dollar haircut today. Oh well. Think I’m still positive for the week. Budweiser down 6% and chevron down 4%

Comment

Originally posted by SaintBlaise View Post
      The TOS my have a different app for the desktop. The TOS phone app is extremely limited, compared to the desktop version. They have a tool on the screen that is called "active trader". This allows you to see the bid/ask action and execute with the a click. You can find several videos of them on youtube, or you can call for a TOS session for expert help on your setup. My TOS guy did something to speed up the TOS interface for me. I only know a few in's and out's on the TOS, but it's loaded with features. On the pay service I use, the trader running the calls uses TOS. During those calls, he really knows how to get around that thing and show us a ton of helpful data.
      The desktop is fantastic for me. That's why i can't wait for my work from home periods. It's so much easier to get in and out, and monitor multiple stocks on the active trader. I keep 4 stocks up at once and can move on any quick. The app is useless in comparison, but works for holding in terms of hours or more.

Sent from my SM-T837A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TwoHighways View Post
        I’ve taken close to a $2000 dollar haircut today. Oh well. Think I’m still positive for the week. Budweiser down 6% and chevron down 4%
        Friday's are always bad days. But i like them for getting into positions that will rebound on monday morning excitement.

I was holding out for a good entryminto chegg before earnings next week, but I'm thinking about another play on sportsmans wharehouse and smith and wesson. I keep buying those on dips and sell a day or 2 later when they rebound. Cheap enough that i get a nice profit percentage. Probably going to jump on SPWH, and probably still do chegg, but these outdoor supply names have been consistently good to me lately!

Comment

All my Oil stocks are tanking.

Comment

AAPL and FB up on earnings still hanging onto them since 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by AJMag View Post
              Cat and merck report tomorrow morning. Actually i would like to see merck miss earnings, buy in the IRA and wait for the next bigs news event to sell. Cat has been looking nice so i bet they beat, but it's too high for me to make a play. I like stuff under $50 so i can buy more and make higher percentages on my return.

My 2 nice plays this week were BGFV and HOME, both under 10 a share at the time. The earning shot them up enough that i made over 50% return on each. Risky, but that's what stops are for

How does a lower share price equate to making higher percentages on your return?

You can have $1,000 to invest. One stock sells for $1,000 a share so you buy 1 share. One stock sells for $50 a share so you buy 20 shares. Say each share price increases 10%. You sell your one share of the first stock for $1,100 or you sell your 20 shares at $55 each and still end up with $1,100. It’s a 10% return either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post
                How does a lower share price equate to making higher percentages on your return?

You can have $1,000 to invest. One stock sells for $1,000 a share so you buy 1 share. One stock sells for $50 a share so you buy 20 shares. Say each share price increases 10%. You sell your one share of the first stock for $1,100 or you sell your 20 shares at $55 each and still end up with $1,100. It’s a 10% return either way.

I look at it as the percentage i make, not the percentage increase on the stock. That's the actual return on investment. With that 1,000, you could buy 5 shares of Microsoft. It goes up $10, you made 50 on 1,000 investment. Put that same 1,000 in a $10 stock that goes up $1, you made $100. So 5% return vs 10% return. It's the same reason day traders like to scalp penny stocks. You can't look at return on investment the same as a stocks increase. Totally different calculations. Hope that makes sense.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post

What you just used as an example is absolutely correct. What I think he is trying to say is the cheaper stock that are well ran companies generally make larger percentage runs than the larger priced growth stocks.

That has at least been my experience with my IRA. My smaller investments have made higher percentage gains than the larger investments that I have. This is not always the case though.
                  Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Comment

Originally posted by No-Tox View Post
                    Exactly.
                    Last edited by Reel cajun; 08-02-2020, 08:32 AM. Reason: *

Comment

I look at it as the percentage i make, not the percentage increase on the stock. That's the actual return on investment. With that 1,000, you could buy 5 shares of Microsoft. It goes up $10, you made 50 on 1,000 investment. Put that same 1,000 in a $10 stock that goes up $1, you made $100. So 5% return vs 10% return. It's the same reason day traders like to scalp penny stocks. You can't look at return on investment the same as a stocks increase. Totally different calculations. Hope that makes sense.

Lol ok.

So the percentage you make on a stock is not the percentage increase on the stock. Got it.

Comment

It doesn't.

Comment

I tend to agree that “cheap” stocks typically run up (and down) faster than more expensive stocks, but the percentage a stock appreciates is the percentage a stock appreciates. 3% increase is a 3% increase. $1000 stock that appreciates 3% is $1030, for a net gain of $30. 20 shares of a $50 stock that increase to $51.50 is a 3% gain. $1.50x20 shares is a net gain of $30. I can’t believe there is confusion about this.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoHighways View Post
                            I tend to agree that “cheap” stocks typically run up (and down) faster than more expensive stocks, but the percentage a stock appreciates is the percentage a stock appreciates. 3% increase is a 3% increase. $1000 stock that appreciates 3% is $1030, for a net gain of $30. 20 shares of a $50 stock that increase to $51.50 is a 3% gain. $1.50x20 shares is a net gain of $30. I can’t believe there is confusion about this.
                            No, you do have it right, I'm just thinking too technical for the conversation. What I fail to convey in my case, is if I get in on a daily dip below the open price, and cash out much higher, my percentage is not going to be that close to the daily run on the overall stock price. So when I say they are different calculations, I'm trying to refer to the daily percentages the markets reports, but that's never where we buy in or sell. For me it's swing trading with the occasional day trade, so I'm looking for the lows and highs regardless of what the market percentages are. Hence where my return on investment differs, in some cases substantially. It's not always easy to explain the message in my head. I blame it on being an accountant and just having a different train of thought. It works in my head but I'm not giving the same picture in what i say.

Comment

No, you do have it right, I'm just thinking too technical for the conversation. What I fail to convey in my case, is if I get in on a daily dip below the open price, and cash out much higher, my percentage is not going to be that close to the daily run on the overall stock price. So when I say they are different calculations, I'm trying to refer to the daily percentages the markets reports, but that's never where we buy in or sell. For me it's swing trading with the occasional day trade, so I'm looking for the lows and highs regardless of what the market percentages are. Hence where my return on investment differs, in some cases substantially. It's not always easy to explain the message in my head. I blame it on being an accountant and just having a different train of thought. It works in my head but I'm not giving the same picture in what i say.
                              I have no idea what you just said.

To emphasize Throwing Darts' point, look at Berkshire Hathaway Class A shares (Brk.A) @ ~$293,000 per share...and their class B shares (Brk.B) @ ~$195 per share. Compare the two stocks price movements for whatever period, and you will see the % moves are consistent.

Comment

Friday's are always bad days. But i like them for getting into positions that will rebound on monday morning excitement.

I was holding out for a good entryminto chegg before earnings next week, but I'm thinking about another play on sportsmans wharehouse and smith and wesson. I keep buying those on dips and sell a day or 2 later when they rebound. Cheap enough that i get a nice profit percentage. Probably going to jump on SPWH, and probably still do chegg, but these outdoor supply names have been consistently good to me lately!

Chgg was a good play. If it starts to pull back ill take profits and renter if it runs back up. Trading at 85 in premarket.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X