Snapper gear recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I’ve been out of the big water game for years and my FIL just bought a 26’ Aquasport. So it looks like I’ll be spending less time in wading boots this summer and more time back on deck. My little bay boat will be sad.
    Most of my big water gear is pretty out dated. I’m looking to pick up a couple rod/reels that will be good all around. I want to be able to jig for snapper and still troll/drift for kings and ling. And recommendations for a good set up?
    Also what’s everybody dropping for snapper rigs now? The season is almost here. I plan to hit it hard this year.
    Thanks in advance for any help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's your budget Justin?

Comment

Probably the best bang for the buck is just a good ol shimano tld 20 with a decent rod. We bottom fish with them, cut off the bottom rig, put on a wire and a live hardtail and troll with them. Not fancy, but will def get it done.

Comment

I like snapper slappers or squid for bait.
        I usually use my Jx raptor, but last year I had a lot of fun using spinning gear.
        Vm275 on a 7’ heavy rod

Comment

I like avet MXL. Relatively cheap and fairly bulletproof and made in Murica. 65lb braid and you can catch all the snappers. I have several each of the single speeds and two speeds but by and large I default to the single speeds. I let my boys use the two speed version as they like to put it in low when they have a big fish on.

For rods I use shimano trevala jigging rods. 6 or 6.5’. They’re also relatively cheap and do a good job. These set ups are light weight and easy to maneuver around the boat if you have multiple fish on. Also big enough to catch AJs. I’ve used everything from large live baits to jigging spoons on these set ups

I’d stick with braid for bottom fishing snapper. These braid specific reels can put out chingles of drag in a very small package. On this tiny little guy I have 40lb braid and have caught 18-20 lb snappers with it. Very sporty.
          Last edited by kyle1974; 05-16-2019, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
            I like avet MXL. Relatively cheap and fairly bulletproof and made in Murica. 65lb braid and you can catch all the snappers. I have several each of the single speeds and two speeds but by and large I default to the single speeds. I let my boys use the two speed version as they like to put it in low when they have a big fish on.

For rods I use shimano trevala jigging rods. 6 or 6.5’. They’re also relatively cheap and do a good job. These set ups are light weight and easy to maneuver around the boat if you have multiple fish on. Also big enough to catch AJs. I’ve used everything from large live baits to jigging spoons on these set ups

I’d stick with braid for bottom fishing snapper. These braid specific reels can put out chingles of drag in a very small package. On this tiny little guy I have 40lb braid and have caught 18-20 lb snappers with it. Very sporty.

Nice setup, looking to get a couple similar setups.

Comment

That one in he picture is a siegler SGN. it’s a nice little reel but I still prefer those avets.

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
                That one in he picture is a siegler SGN. it’s a nice little reel but I still prefer those avets.

I ordered a couple avet LX 6.0's and a couple trevala 6'6" MH. Should get the job done without breaking the bank.

Comment

Good call, the Seiglers are nice as well. What port will y’all be fishing out of?

Comment

Originally posted by JSAPP View Post
                    I ordered a couple avet LX 6.0's and a couple trevala 6'6" MH. Should get the job done without breaking the bank.
                    My first rig was a ambassador 7000 on a 6”6 fire stick Med action ( still working great after 30years) my arsenal has gotten more technical over the years
                    Used penn 309 also basic but affordable and affective
                    A cheap fighting belt is a big help

Snapper slappers with a bait trailer are my favorite snapper / drop bait
                    Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 05-17-2019, 07:38 AM.

Comment

yeah on the snapper slappers... I don't know if there's a better snapper rig than a squid tipped slapper. in reality, there are so many endangered red snappers right now you can catch them on a bare hook.

Comment

I see you have already ordered, but for my 2-cents, I like something with a line guide.
                        For this I choose Okuma brands with a line counter. The line counter helps me set back my line at a certain distance from the boat when trolling. Also when dropping for snapper, I let weight hit bottom then reel up 20-30 feet from bottom for the bigger snapper. Small ones tend to stick to the bottom.
                        Snapper slappers are sometimes on sale clearance at Academy. Also any heavy jig lure works well for that stray grouper or AJ that might be down there. Knife jigs work well and you can bait them up as well to entice.

Happy trails.

Comment

I use Daiwa Sealine X50SHA spooled with 30 lb mono on uglystiks for trolling. Mainly for kings and a rare dolphin. I had the same reels since 2010 and still work fine. For snapper, I personally swap between an Okuma Metaloid on a uglystik jigging rod and a Quantum Boca 60 spinner on a trevela jigging rod. I will drop bait down of those too. The combos I keep on the boat for guests have Abu 6000's. I put 50-65LB braid on the snapper rods.

Comment

I normally use a triple or quad rig with circle hooks and cut squid. Drop down, catch 3, throw a small one back. Drop down, catch 3, throw a small one back. head on home. That is in state waters of course. The Federal snapper are endangered so I let those be. Slappers work too and can usually snag a bigger one.

Comment

Originally posted by rvd View Post
                              Good call, the Seiglers are nice as well. What port will y’all be fishing out of?

We'll be in Port O Connor all summer. Do you make it down that way?

Comment

Working...
                              X