A New Carbon Fiber Barrel Option.....Maybe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A New Carbon Fiber Barrel Option.....Maybe

We have been working on some pretty exciting stuff around here lately, and thought I would give you guys a first peek at one of those things. Carbon fiber barrels have been known to present certain challenges for builders and customers since they were introduced. I’m pretty sure we’ve tried them all at this point with results ranging from excellent to pure crap. No product is perfect, but we see more variance in CF barrels than in any other build component.

One popular product is generally pretty danged good, and has been even better recently, but still has a higher cull rate than most steel barrels and the bores often runout significantly early in the blank(like right where the throat is going to be). And getting one you want in the length and twist rate you need may take some significant time. Another product that we have had great success with in the past, and swore by has been yielding less than optimum results as of recent. Both examples show the ebb and flow of carbon fiber barrel performance as we see it on our end. There are other brands that we have tried, but always ended up back at the original two alluded to earlier for a host of reasons. Neither are cheap!

One of the big issues we see with CF barrels, especially in some of the lesser known versions we have tried is the tendency to exhibit POI shift after the first few rounds. This can be caused by several different factors, but it boils down to stresses residing somewhere in the barrels themselves. Not trying to start a debate on cut vs. button rifling here as I am a fan of both, but buttoning does induce more stress into the blank than cut does by its very nature. Given all of the potential stress inducing steps in turning down and then wrapping a CF barrel, it seems like a good idea to start with a cut rifled tube to begin with. That would eliminate many of the current options if you chose that criteria, but might be a step in the right direction when trying to create a stress free end product. Which brings me here….

While visiting with a friend who owns another company in the industry about our recent CF barrel issues, he divulged that he had been prototyping and testing a CF wrapping process over the last year with great success. We talk weekly, so I gave him some crap about holding out on me, but understand that he wanted it to be “right” before letting the cat out of the bag. Knowing he had total control over the wrapping process solved about ½ the potential issues right off the bat. The other ½ would be sourcing good blanks and figuring out profiles that worked well with the process.

I contacted one of our cut-rifled barrel makers that has been dead-nuts consistent on quality and delivery times to pick his brain and gauge his interest in being involved with this project. That was the best call I could have made. Not only was he on board, but he had some pretty deep involvement with some of the early efforts by a couple of companies in the CF barrel market. He saw what worked, but more importantly what did not. After some back and forth ideas between the 3 of us, specs were drawn up and test barrels were cut and delivered and sent out for carbon fiber. Those barrels were returned to our shop and were immediately chambered last week. I shot the first one earlier today and liked what I saw……a lot. I plan on doing my best to kill them over the next month or so. If they pass the test, they will open up some doors for CF builds moving forward.

The goal was not to build the lightest CF barrel out there, but to build the most stable, most affordable, most consistent CF barrel that can be had in any length and twist rate desired, while being delivered in a reasonable timeframe. If this works out, maybe they can make an appearance in the 2019 TBH special?

Thanks,
    Robert
    Alamo Precision Rifles

Awesome news, can't wait for the 2019 TBH special!

Comment

Sounds great

Comment

Yes F-in please!!!!!!

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Yes!!!

Glad to see it finally make the green screen! Been waiting!

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
            Yes!!!

Glad to see it finally make the green screen! Been waiting!
            Seems like it's taken forever!

Comment

On average how much metal is left before the wrap if you can say at this point?

Comment

In.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I’m a newbie in the custom gun world but will definitely be getting in on the ‘19 special.
                  What are the advantages of CF if there are that big of variances in the performance of CF barrels? Why would someone risk it with a CF barrel versus a proven standard barrel maker?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by makotex View Post
                    I’m a newbie in the custom gun world but will definitely be getting in on the ‘19 special.
                    What are the advantages of CF if there are that big of variances in the performance of CF barrels? Why would someone risk it with a CF barrel versus a proven standard barrel maker?

The advantages are indeed mostly in weight savings, but they do also provide a beefier shoulder for muzzle devices as compared to standard barrel profiles of the same weight. There is simply more risk to accuracy potential as the barrel goes through more processes and physical changes with each one having a chance to induce some level of stress. I don't think it has been hard to get decent accuracy from most CF barrels. A few have certainly proven capable of the match level accuracy that we all want. I think the challenge that all have faced is bringing that accuracy level to the table and having the stability to hold it over repeated fire......... and the consistency to do THAT from barrel to barrel. It is interesting stuff, and where material is left vs. where it is removed seems to play a bigger role than how much is taken off as a whole. It has been a fun project.

I wish I knew why one of the good brands has gotten better, while one of the best brands has gotten worse. Something has obviously changed in the process of both companies. We see a pretty good sample size of each in a pretty steady flow throughout the year. Easily enough to identify trends, and they're obvious in this case. I figure going down this path, we will have a known quantity to start with and a process in place that is static. If anything changes we will know "where" and "why".

Who knows, the only advantage we may find in this whole deal is pricing and availability. It is looking very promising that it will check all the boxes at this point though.

Comment

Originally posted by Stick1 View Post
                      The advantages are indeed mostly in weight savings, but they do also provide a beefier shoulder for muzzle devices as compared to standard barrel profiles of the same weight. There is simply more risk to accuracy potential as the barrel goes through more processes and physical changes with each one having a chance to induce some level of stress. I don't think it has been hard to get decent accuracy from most CF barrels. A few have certainly proven capable of the match level accuracy that we all want. I think the challenge that all have faced is bringing that accuracy level to the table and having the stability to hold it over repeated fire......... and the consistency to do THAT from barrel to barrel. It is interesting stuff, and where material is left vs. where it is removed seems to play a bigger role than how much is taken off as a whole. It has been a fun project.

I wish I knew why one of the good brands has gotten better, while one of the best brands has gotten worse. Something has obviously changed in the process of both companies. We see a pretty good sample size of each in a pretty steady flow throughout the year. Easily enough to identify trends, and they're obvious in this case. I figure going down this path, we will have a known quantity to start with and a process in place that is static. If anything changes we will know "where" and "why".

Who knows, the only advantage we may find in this whole deal is pricing and availability. It is looking very promising that it will check all the boxes at this point though.

Thanks for the info. I read through the ‘18 special thread. Y’all definitely know y’alls stuff. Can’t wait to see the results and get that ‘19 order in!

Comment

Originally posted by Stick1 View Post
                        ... I wish I knew why one of the good brands has gotten better, while one of the best brands has gotten worse. Something has obviously changed in the process of both companies. We see a pretty good sample size of each in a pretty steady flow throughout the year. Easily enough to identify trends, and they're obvious in this case..
                        Here's my opinion based on shooting benchrest competition, talking to several barrel makers, and building custom rifles for the last 25+ yrs. Barrel steel is not an exact science, and at times can be unpredictable while leaving you scratching your head. Barrel makers for the most part are able to acquire good batches of steel. Occasionally they run across a bad batch due to imperfections in the metallurgy process.

The only way to know what quality of steel you have is to shoot the barrel. Skilled benchrest shooters can tell within 20 rounds down the bore if they have a "hummer" (capable of shooting a 1 hole group) or just an average shooting barrel. One of my benchrest shooting friends who does his own gunsmith work would order 25 match grade barrels at a time. He would chamber them all in 6PPC and start shooting for group size. He confirmed that on average 1 in 10 barrels (10%) was a true hummer. Barrels that did not meet his accuracy expectation were sold at a discounted rate to other shooters. These culled barrels were still very good (sub 1/4"), just not capable of winning Championship matches.

I believe CF barrels are more finicky and less accurate than stainless steel barrels because lots of metal is being removed, then CF material is being wrapped around the turned down barrel. This disrupts the barrel harmonics and accuracy. CF barrels were never created to shoot 1 hole groups as their intention was to reduce barrel weight while maintaining the same contour or profile as a Sendero / Varmint Special barrel. For the hunting customer looking to save 2 lbs. they accomplish the purpose. With advancements in technology and more manufacturers - researchers dedicated to the concept, I believe accuracy can be increased yet it will come at a cost. Not everyone wants to pay $700 for one rifle barrel when you can buy 2 select match grade barrels for the same price. These CF barrels will still be more accurate than the average Joe who wants to build his dream hunting rifle and does not handload. If the consumer has the $$$ and wants a CF barrel, then go for it

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                          Here's my opinion based on shooting benchrest competition, talking to several barrel makers, and building custom rifles for the last 25+ yrs. Barrel steel is not an exact science, and at times can be unpredictable while leaving you scratching your head. Barrel makers for the most part are able to acquire good batches of steel. Occasionally they run across a bad batch due to imperfections in the metallurgy process.

The only way to know what quality of steel you have is to shoot the barrel. Skilled benchrest shooters can tell within 20 rounds down the bore if they have a "hummer" (capable of shooting a 1 hole group) or just an average shooting barrel. One of my benchrest shooting friends who does his own gunsmith work would order 25 match grade barrels at a time. He would chamber them all in 6PPC and start shooting for group size. He confirmed that on average 1 in 10 barrels (10%) was a true hummer. Barrels that did not meet his accuracy expectation were sold at a discounted rate to other shooters. These culled barrels were still very good (sub 1/4"), just not capable of winning Championship matches.

I believe CF barrels are more finicky and less accurate than stainless steel barrels because lots of metal is being removed, then CF material is being wrapped around the turned down barrel. This disrupts the barrel harmonics and accuracy. CF barrels were never created to shoot 1 hole groups as their intention was to reduce barrel weight while maintaining the same contour or profile as a Sendero / Varmint Special barrel. For the hunting customer looking to save 2 lbs. they accomplish the purpose. With advancements in technology and more manufacturers - researchers dedicated to the concept, I believe accuracy can be increased yet it will come at a cost. Not everyone wants to pay $700 for one rifle barrel when you can buy 2 select match grade barrels for the same price. These CF barrels will still be more accurate than the average Joe who wants to build his dream hunting rifle and does not handload. If the consumer has the $$$ and wants a CF barrel, then go for it
                          Blake,

I think your points are spot-on. I also think what we are seeing has more going on than just variations in steel. And you are not joking when talking about the inconsistencies in today's current steel market. We had a small batch of steel barrels come through a while back that were just incredible from an accuracy standpoint, but all were done for in 6-700 rounds. That with mild BR based cartridges. That same lot of steel also affected another maker, which shows how tight the supply for good barrel steel really is.

After seeing the test results of just a few different epoxies alone, it is apparent that there are challenges hidden around every corner. Then throwing the material removal (How much and from where) in the mix and the changes that result from that....there are a lot of moving targets to hit. That said, a very few of the most accurate and stable barrels we have seen were actually CF barrels. So I have to believe it can be done, somehow. Today's range session was not as promising as yesterday's, but I'm really hoping it was a scope issue. We'll see next week.

One thing I feel confident in is identifying the issues from some of the examples with the most erratic performance, as there seems to be a common theme there. They are indeed the ones with the most material removed, and in a couple cases just turned down to a uniform diameter for most of the length and wrapped with no thought given to the structural side of the blank's job. That has to wreck harmonics and induce way more movement at the muzzle than needs to be. Kind of like taking the foundation out from under it. I find this stuff to be so interesting, mostly because of all of the variables.

Comment

Another tbh custom order?......Momma’s gonna be MAAAD!!! [emoji16]

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post

I had a guy that shoots competitively tell me the same thing about how only 10% of the barrels met his expectation. At the time I found it hard to believe but I have now heard it from so many people that it must be true.

Comment

Working...
                              X