CO spring turkey advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CO spring turkey advice

Colorado is making you purchase a spring turkey or small game license in order to apply for elk tag this year so debating on going up in May to try my hand at a Merriam. Anybody have any advice on spring turkey in southern Colorado public land?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally posted by makotex View Post
    Colorado is making you purchase a spring turkey or small game license in order to apply for elk tag this year so debating on going up in May to try my hand at a Merriam. Anybody have any advice on spring turkey in southern Colorado public land?

Get in shape and as always, find the less pressured areas. If it’s calm and you aren’t hearing them from the limb before daybreak, you’re not in the right spot.

Comment

Good luck Mako.

Comment

Originally posted by Beards&Spurs View Post
        Get in shape and as always, find the less pressured areas. If it’s calm and you aren’t hearing them from the limb before daybreak, you’re not in the right spot.

Thanks I’m working on that for sept but now realize I need to get on the fast tract. Any certain altitude they’re at that time of year? Do they go from high to low or low to high? I elk hunt around 9k but haven’t seen many turkey around in September

Comment

Originally posted by makotex View Post
          Thanks I’m working on that for sept but now realize I need to get on the fast tract. Any certain altitude they’re at that time of year? Do they go from high to low or low to high? I elk hunt around 9k but haven’t seen many turkey around in September

Finding good habitat is more important than hunting a particular elevation. They like to roost in ponderosa pines in secondary canyons with nearby surface water and open areas/meadows. I'd advise studying some maps, getting up on a high ridge well before daylight and listening. Look for fresh tracks obviously along with scratchings. They utilize old logging roads quite a bit, but can flat out climb up or down a mountain. I wouldn't bother trying to drop down on a bird or go after one on the next ridge. It's not worth chasing them up and down the face of a mountain. Just keep pressing forward on the ridge you are on until are able to get on a bird.

You can find them in some of the less rugged terrain/foothills too. As long as there are trees to roost in and a water source, there will be some around.

Comment

Originally posted by Beards&Spurs View Post
            Finding good habitat is more important than hunting a particular elevation. They like to roost in ponderosa pines in secondary canyons with nearby surface water and open areas/meadows. I'd advise studying some maps, getting up on a high ridge well before daylight and listening. Look for fresh tracks obviously along with scratchings. They utilize old logging roads quite a bit, but can flat out climb up or down a mountain. I wouldn't bother trying to drop down on a bird or go after one on the next ridge. It's not worth chasing them up and down the face of a mountain. Just keep pressing forward on the ridge you are on until are able to get on a bird.

You can find them in some of the less rugged terrain/foothills too. As long as there are trees to roost in and a water source, there will be some around.

Appreciate the info. I’ll be west of Durango first of May.

Comment

I hunted turkey all the time in New Mexico, I found the best way was to get a crow call and get in the truck and drive and about every 1/4 mile or so stop turn off the truck and hit the crow call a few times, if you don't hear anything drive down the road and do it again, Sooner or later one will sound off when he does wait about 15 seconds hit it again and try and pin point where he is and then move on him. This system works best in the morning. I have also put hundreds of miles walking the mountains and have killed a few that way also. Good Luck

Comment

Originally posted by Bassdeer View Post
                I hunted turkey all the time in New Mexico, I found the best way was to get a crow call and get in the truck and drive and about every 1/4 mile or so stop turn off the truck and hit the crow call a few times, if you don't hear anything drive down the road and do it again, Sooner or later one will sound off when he does wait about 15 seconds hit it again and try and pin point where he is and then move on him. This system works best in the morning. I have also put hundreds of miles walking the mountains and have killed a few that way also. Good Luck

Preciate it. Definitely be giving this a try so I can cover some ground

Comment

Working...
                X