Question For The Mechanics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have an older JD 4x2 lawn gator. It’s been bullet proof for several years. Always started and always run. Well the other day I ran it out of gas accidentally. I filled it up and ran it for a day or two. After it set it wouldn’t start. I checked the spark plug first and no spark. Thought it was a faulty plug so I replaced it and still no fire. While checking for spark I touched the plugged which was still connected to the plug wire to the frame. I got a spark when touching metal. I checked all the ground wires and everything seems fine. What else can I check? Could the starter be bad and another component? Thanks for the help.

If it's turning over its not the starter.

You do have spark or you do not have spark?

Comment

See it will “pop” on some starting fluid/carb clean.

Comment

The spark plug has to be grounded next to the motor to get spark. I would think carb.
        Last edited by kurt68; 05-16-2020, 09:01 PM.

Comment

It does try to turn over. When I hold the plug attached to the plug wire and hit the key I get no spark. When I do the same sequence and touch the plug to the frame it makes a spark.

Comment

The plug has to be grounded, you are simply grounding it. Move on your problem is not a bad ground.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

If it was cherry before running it out of fuel I'd assume it sucked up some trash.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
                If it was cherry before running it out of fuel I'd assume it sucked up some trash.

^this. Check fuel lines and carb.

Comment

So when you said it was not getting spark, did you have the spark plug grounded to the engine? You said you got spark when you had the plug grounded to the frame. The plug needs to be toughing something that is grounded to get a spark. You may have weak spark, which could be a coil, but I would not jump to that conclusion, until you are sure you don't have a good hot spark, when the plug is grounded to the engine.

Typically with small engines now days, when they don't run, it's a fuel problem, as a result of the crappy fuel we have now days. The ethanol in our fuel, will cause all types of problems. Any rubber parts that have been exposed to ethanol fuel, then let dry out and exposed to air, will crack or split. You can get corrosion on metal parts, that have been exposed to ethanol, then exposed to air. That damage takes a little longer than the damage you will see to rubber parts.

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post

Same thought. Change the fuel filter to see if that helps. Ran a Mule out of gas last season and plugged off the filter.

Comment

Hold the spark plug by the threads, rest your hand on the cylinder head and get someone to turn it over

Then report back whether you are getting fire or not

Sounds like some trash got in the pickup or maybe filter. I would bet it is fuel related
                      Long shot but might have damaged the diaphram in the pump running it dry if it was old

Disclaimer -- I am no mechanic but I will try and fix most things myself rather than pay someone else

Comment

Working...
                      X