Existing Gravel Road Build Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Existing Gravel Road Build Up

I have an existing gravel road around 500’ that I want to top with white rock. The existing road is crowned and built pretty good. It does have a few small pot holes but nothing too bad. Should I put down limestone base first or can I go with something larger since the base is already there?

Depends what the soil structure is underneath. Where are u located? Is the road flat or is it steep?

Comment

i guess i dont know what white rock is
      if youre just going to dump and blade in a loose aggregate than i wouldnt worry about laying new base down first.
      if youre talking about chip sealing your road then yes, i would lay a small lift of base down to clean up your finished surface before you pave.
      and different suppliers will have more than 1 grade of flex base

Comment

Originally posted by TXraiderTK View Post
        i guess i dont know what white rock is
        if youre just going to dump and blade in a loose aggregate than i wouldnt worry about laying new base down first.
        if youre talking about chip sealing your road then yes, i would lay a small lift of base down to clean up your finished surface before you pave.
        and different suppliers will have more than 1 grade of flex base
        Some people call it caliche, I call it white rock, mmmhmm

Comment

Following

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
            Some people call it caliche, I call it white rock, mmmhmm
            What you are talking about is base, so was your gravel, just a different kind. If your existing road is clean, no debris, and stable, you can put your white rock, limestone or caliche right on that surface. It might be better to LIGHTLY scarify it first. Two different materials sometimes don’t bond well if the bottom one is hard and slick. When you’re setting the top layer up, if you’re compacting it, it might slide. When I used to do road work the state would make us scarify the first course of base right before we put the second course on. Sounds complicated, but the thinner your top layer is, the more you need to scarify.

Comment

Thanks for the info. The existing road is stable and seems to have a good base. It is on flat ground.

Comment

What about bar ditches? Do storm flows go parallel to road or go perpendicular/across road?

Comment

If it's only small pot holes I wouldn't worry about, layer it all with white rock

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                  X