Chap - Anyone hunted this pasture ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chap - Anyone hunted this pasture ?

Has anyone hunted this compartment...#21 ?

it is in the lower part of south Jay. on the east side. I will be there next week for the archery hunt. any tips, helpful hints? I've never hunted that pasture.

I thought someone had commented on the area before but can't find the thread.
    Attached Files

Maybe check with Sideler. I remember him hunting S Jay when I was here last.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanx,

I'll search his post and reach out to him.

Comment

We ended up in Compartment 5 would love any information it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

i hunted there a long time ago. I'll get with you in a bit. trying to tie up loose ends at work.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
            i hunted there a long time ago. I'll get with you in a bit. trying to tie up loose ends at work.

Sounds great! Thank you!

Comment

I hunted there during an archery hunt several years back. I saw some good bucks and missed one as well. The first afternoon I ended up sitting in the youth blind that sits in the middle of that third road from the bottom. Watched where deer were crossing and after the morning hunt the next day, brushed in ground blinds in a few areas I had seen bigger bucks. We also brought several tripods and I put one up against the biggest mesquite about 200 yards east of the high fence on that same road. Ended up missing a good buck at 40 yards from it. A friend was hunting the area on the bottom road. It was the thickest part of the compartment. He saw a decent buck but never got a shot at anything.

Comment

The buck I missed from that compartment.

Comment

I hunted 19 4 or 5 years ago on a management hunt. No management deer spotted but a few good deer spotted.

I believe your pasture has some tanks and or drainage on it. Plus it's really big. Lots to scout and I'd put out a camera or two.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
                    Has anyone hunted this compartment...#21 ?

it is in the lower part of south Jay. on the east side. I will be there next week for the archery hunt. any tips, helpful hints? I've never hunted that pasture.

I thought someone had commented on the area before but can't find the thread.
                    PM sent!!!!

Comment

They should do all draw hunt compartment selection like this going into the future instead of waiting until you are there, maybe this year will change that it will really increase the success rate at places not as game filled as chap.

Comment

Originally posted by futureagg View Post
                        We ended up in Compartment 5 would love any information it.

The youth blind under the 5, my brother was in it and said he saw a lot of bucks enter the sendero 4-500 yards to the west, go down a ways and turn south. I set up a pop up for him closer and he shot a buck. There is a drainage that runs parralell north of the sendero.

I think this is the same sendero as ATXarcher mentioned.

I hunted the north youth blind with no luck and went to the bottom. saw lot of bucks in there.

there is a "old" road that connects the lower sendero to the SW corner of the pasture, check it out.
                        before the first sendero on the SW side is a drainage area. There used to be a tripod in there.

Comment

For futureagg, I would suggest the bottom sw corner of that compartment on that sendero. I would recommend a short 4-6 ft tripod tucked into the brush. If you use a pop up tuck it under a mesquite tree and brush it in.

Comment

Originally posted by Schubert6689 View Post
                            For futureagg, I would suggest the bottom sw corner of that compartment on that sendero. I would recommend a short 4-6 ft tripod tucked into the brush. If you use a pop up tuck it under a mesquite tree and brush it in.

Thank you!! I appreciate it. Well it looks like I’m going to be sitting the hunt out. My dad is still going. Dr recommended to give it one more week instead of pushing it to get back in the field. Put in for the hunt for 13 years and now can’t go. 2020 Luck

Comment

Working...
                            X