Comfort Texas area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comfort Texas area

Looking at getting a spot on a 1500 ranch in between Fredericksburg and Comfort.

Talk to me about realistic expectations. Closest I've ever hunted to that area was between Bandera and Hondo

Should be great for exotics, axis, and average for whitetail quality. Good numbers on whitetails but not huge size body or racks.

Comment

If you don’t want it; I’ll take the spot! Love that area

Comment

Originally posted by bsills View Post
        Should be great for exotics, axis, and average for whitetail quality. Good numbers on whitetails but not huge size body or racks.
        Well said. I would suggest you find some taxidermists in the area and try to find out what some of the NATIVE white tail look like.

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
          Well said. I would suggest you find some taxidermists in the area and try to find out what some of the NATIVE white tail look like.

appreciate the response(s)….While I will most assuredly kill a big bodied, big antlered deer if an opportunity presents itself, I am more about mature deer and the meat. I understand about the Hill Country sized deer, You can boil them horns all dang day and they don't even make good soup. I am hoping for a decent number of axis or other exotics

Comment

Originally posted by K. Lane View Post
            appreciate the response(s)….While I will most assuredly kill a big bodied, big antlered deer if an opportunity presents itself, I am more about mature deer and the meat. I understand about the Hill Country sized deer, You can boil them horns all dang day and they don't even make good soup. I am hoping for a decent number of axis or other exotics
            I would say the closer to comfort the better for exotics

Comment

Born and raised here. Certainly plenty of axis around although as stated, closer to Comfort the more there are. Whitetail get better every year. People are managing and feeding and it is showing. Ten years ago, a 120” buck raised eyebrows. Now they are almost common and there are 135” + deer showing up more and more. You around Steiler hill on 87?

Comment

I’ve lived outside of Comfort for 3 years. Lots of deer, and lots of axis. Our place is pretty hilly so the axis just pass through. They love the big pastures. We have 20 acres here and I’ve been looking for a lease in the area that holds more axis.

Comment

Originally posted by bklem View Post
                  Born and raised here. Certainly plenty of axis around although as stated, closer to Comfort the more there are. Whitetail get better every year. People are managing and feeding and it is showing. Ten years ago, a 120” buck raised eyebrows. Now they are almost common and there are 135” + deer showing up more and more. You around Steiler hill on 87?

looking at it this weekend so I'm not sure where Steiler Hill is but the place according to google maps looks to be about 8-10 miles north of Comfort and about 2-3 miles east of 87

Comment

Originally posted by K. Lane View Post
                    looking at it this weekend so I'm not sure where Steiler Hill is but the place according to google maps looks to be about 8-10 miles north of Comfort and about 2-3 miles east of 87
                    Sounds like the Giles (Hilingdon) ranch or Dreis ranch (bycicle ranch also). Not just a ton of 1500 acre places left around here but those two definitely are. Actually that whole area is made up of bigger properties. Some of that country is extremely rough terrain.

Comment

Great area for Axis for sure. Not trophy whitetail though. I would take a spot in that area in a heartbeat

Comment

I hunted that area (Between Comfort & Frederickburg off of Old 9 Rd) a few years ago. I finally found a place that I was truly happy with everything, and after 2 years the land owner decided not to lease it any longer. Maybe one day, I will get a chance to get back over there

Comment

Working...
                        X