Need advice on RV trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need advice on RV trip

Ok my wife and I are seeing an RV trip a little different and wanted yalls opinions on it. We travel with 3 boys a lot and enjoy it. We take a trip to Southern Colorado every summer and try to do one other trip with the boys. My wife is really wanting to rent an RV for our next trip, and I think it sounds horrible. So those of you that do it regularly or have done it in the past whats your thoughts. I cant see how it would be better than renting a room or a cabin to stay in. Seams like it would take longer to get wherever your going, and then all 5 of us would be staying in a small room would not be pleasant. I guess you also have to rent a car to get around, run to town, etc. Only advantage i see would be possibly getting a prettier camping spot to park in. My wife thinks the drive/ride in the rv would be awesome, cause shes not driving it. Do you let the family wander around while your driving, or do you keep them buckled up like in a car? What am I missing here that would make it great? We dont have an RV so we would have to rent one. Not sure what I am leaving out but you get the gist of what were talking about. Thanks for weighing in.

Need advice on RV trip

We really enjoy traveling by RV, yes family can move about, lay around, watch movies or fix sandwiches etc while traveling.

That said, if you and your family are not experienced with an RV the learning curve of all the different controls, setting up etc will add tons of stress to the trip.

I would suggest an RV lifestyle but I would not suggest a rental RV trip unless it was a test to see if y’all wanted to purchase an RV

Comment

Sounds like yall are thinking of motor coaching it. We pull a 30’ trailer with a F250 and its nice to take the nest with you. Walmart parking lots are our typical stopping points for overnight. Works out well. I really enjoy pulling over whenever I find a wide spot in the road and grabbing a snack from the trailer or using the bathroom...versus hauling 4 kids into a nasty truck stop full of sick people and the kids touching every dang toy in the place.

We rented a smaller coach before we bought a trailer and it was a v10 chevy engine...I was impressed with the engine performance.

Cranky Ape .com has alot of good deals on used/repoed RVs.

Comment

We dont like taking trips where we dont like taking the camper (not a motor coach, but a bumper pull trailer). We do like Brian said pull over when needed in a big spot and use rest room eat lunch ect
        But there is no way I would rent one. Theres not a camper built thats is good quality in the last 20 years. I like to think im prepared for most minor annoyances/repairs that come up a trip. I cant see that being the case for a motor coach rented out to hundreds of people who dont take care of stuff. If you could take a couple of short trips to get used to it and the issues before hand maybe then. If not all i see is the movie RV with Robin Williams.

Comment

Yes she wants to take a motor coach. I mentioned the bumper pull trailer and her defense is the motor would be more fun to travel in, I disagree since I will be be driving. She is wanting one of the small motor coaches, which would be easier to drive, but i am scared it would just be crowded.

Hahah i didnt know Robin Williams was in a movie called RV will have to watch it now.

Comment

I think the rental rates would turn me off. When we go, we put on lots of miles. About a dollar for every three miles was the lowest rate I found, and we ain’t even talked about fuel yet. Add to that renting a car or being tied to the places a motor home can park I’m out.

Comment

Never have to eat out wifey can cook every meal.

Comment

I would advise against renting a rolling ****. We rented one for us and my best friends family to go on a trip to New Mexico. We didn’t rent it for sleeping, we had a house there, but for the convenience of the trip(bathroom, food, tv for the kids, ect). It was horrible. We didn’t really know the quality of it till pick up. It was the worst driving experience we have ever had. Loudest, bumpiest, slowest drive EVER! My buddy and I both have extensive RVing experience as we both have 5ers.
                If we did it again, we’d just drive separately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I will not go on another trip in one. Some people like tem. Limited on where you can go and slow and horrible to drive. Ill fly and rent or just drive there if that is not an option.

Comment

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Comment

I rented a class A and went to New Mexico two summers ago. I drove while all the teenagers slept lol. It was fun but nothing I would want to do all the time.

Comment

We travel a lot. A trip to the Adirondacks and back every year along with trips to Florida, Missouri and Wisconsin. We bought a motorhome 3 years ago and love it. Pull into the campgrounds and 10 minutes later you are sitting outside with a cold one. No unpacking or going back out to eat. Yes it costs a little more for fuel, but is still cheaper than hotels and eating out. We travel about 8,000 miles a year. We have a 26' Class C RV. My wife drives it as much as I do. Other than parking, it isn't much different to drive than our F150 SC. We do rent a car when we are in one location for a longer time, but with a little planning going back out is seldom.
                        We tried a travel trailer first and neither of us like pulling it. We drive or RV 75 - 80 mph on a regular basis.
                        Like stated earlier, renting isn't cheap.

Comment

Working...
                        X