Shop Upgrade (My First Cabinets) Pic Heavy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shop Upgrade (My First Cabinets) Pic Heavy

So I wanted to share my latest shop build with you guys. I have been going further and further down the woodworking rabbit hole for the last 4-5 years and have slowly been collecting tools and building the things I need. Well, this year I told myself, "Self, we need to get a new workbench/cabinet built". All of the measurements were pulled from my head and the panel designs came from several youtube videos.

First thing we had to do was clean up the area a little bit. This drywall is going on 40 years old and soaked up paint like it was going out of style. This transformation took a whole gallon of exterior white paint 4 coats thick.
    Before Paint:

After Paint:

The upper cabinets are made of four 24"x24"x15" (WxHxD) individual boxes placed side by side. These were put together with Kreg screws and butt joints. I also used the Kreg shelf pin jig for the pin holes. (I made some similar to these for my grandpa’s garage)
    First Box done:

All of them hung up:

The base cabinets were a bit trickier as I have never made anything like these before. The base is made of up 2 carcasses. Carcass #1 is 36”Dx46”Wx32”H. This was is a bit bigger than the other as eventually it will house my X-carve CNC by Inventables. Inventables sent me the dimensions needed for their machines and I went from there. Carcass #2 is a little bit thinner as it will be my general worktop. This carcass came in at 20”Dx56”Wx32”H. Instead of making individual boxes for these I tried to use single panels with stretchers between to save on plywood (and I believe this is how they are supposed to be done?)
    Carcass #1

Carcass #2

Test fit

Once we got all of that put together we stained it with a water based white stain. It was a major pain in the butt cause we had to keep stopping and stirring it up and the white would settle pretty quickly. However the white came out nice and resembled “Birch” plywood once it was dry. Since the floor of my garage is not flat I used leveling feet to make sure I could get my cabinets level without to much hassle. Once we got it leveled and installed we secured them to the wall.

The tops of the cabinets are 2 layers of ¾ plywood using “Birch” plywood as the top layer. We screwed them together and then secured the tops to the stretchers on the carcasses. We also left the tops with a 3” overhang on the front of the cabinets. The doors to the cabinets are made using the same “Birch” plywood.

Carcass #1 top

Carcass #2 top

Installed on base cabinets

Set of upper doors

I still have a lot of work to do and am still working on the doors for the uppers. I still need to finish the edge banding, put a finish on the doors and I need to put some form of edging on the top of the base too. I did start playing with the hinges and I must say I like they way it is coming along. I will be doing another build when I get to making the drawers for the base cabinet so I will let y’all know when I get that started (may be a while).

All in all I have used:
    4 sheets of “Sanded” plywood
    2 sheets of “Birch” plywood
    12 6’ 1x4s
    16 European style soft close hinges
    12 Heavy duty leveling feet
    8 Door handles
    And a big bucket of screws.

This build took my dad and I 8 straight days of starting and crack of 10am and working till about 5pm (ish). I learned a lot about the tools I have and the once I now want. And most importantly I had a blast working with my dad.

Thank you for sticking with me as I ramble 😊

Drew

Nice work, you’ll enjoy having that. Great way to spend time with your dad as well.

Comment

Very nice, I got a buddy that has a youtube channel for small wood working shops. He does some nice work and is kind of entertaining. I like getting ideas from other people.
      [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5JvA8tIHKQ&t=24s"]Ultimate Workbench Build - The Start! // Part 1 - YouTube[/ame]
      Ths link won't post for some reason but he has one for a shop table with a vacuum system in it.

Comment

Originally posted by deerplanter View Post
        Very nice, I got a buddy that has a youtube channel for small wood working shops. He does some nice work and is kind of entertaining. I like getting ideas from other people.
        Ultimate Workbench Build - The Start! // Part 1 - YouTube
        Ths link won't post for some reason but he has one for a shop table with a vacuum system in it.
        Shop nation? I actually visited with him via his website about building my cabinets. His vids are what got me excited about doing this. Please show him my pics, I don’t have a way to do so and he was a big help.

Thanks for the comments :-)

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
          Nice work, you’ll enjoy having that. Great way to spend time with your dad as well.
          Thanks Jes, it was a great time and full of memories.

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Originally posted by Drewboy22 View Post
              Shop nation? I actually visited with him via his website about building my cabinets. His vids are what got me excited about doing this. Please show him my pics, I don’t have a way to do so and he was a big help.

Thanks for the comments :-)
              Travis used to be my engineer until he moved on to better things, he's a great guy.
              I'll figure out a way to text it to him or something your pictures.
              Last edited by deerplanter; 04-18-2019, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Travis told me to tell you that the cabinets looks great and glad you found some useful information from the videos on Shop Nation.

Comment

Originally posted by Nock This View Post
                  Nice!

Originally posted by deerplanter View Post
                  Travis told me to tell you that the cabinets looks great and glad you found some useful information from the videos on Shop Nation.
                  Thanks for passing that along!

Comment

Nothing better than spending quality time with your dad, and a outstanding end product.

Comment

^

Comment

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
                        Nothing better than spending quality time with your dad, and a outstanding end product.
                        Amen!

Comment

Man those doors look like some high dollar wood! I realize they are plywood just saying they look amazing!

Comment

Originally posted by Rubberdown View Post
                            Man those doors look like some high dollar wood! I realize they are plywood just saying they look amazing!
                            I know right!! I originally was not going to use the Birch Plywood but I could not turn that down.

Comment

Working...
                            X