Real deer hunting cost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ddcainjr View Post
    I don't need this type of negativity in my life!

Mods, please delete this thread before my wife sees it!
    This did make me chuckle even though this thread has some valid points/aspects

Comment

[emoji2359][emoji2359][emoji2359]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I calculated the per pound cost of deer....never again

If prices go up any more I may be out on hunting. I enjoy it but may not be able to justify the price.

If you assume 1-2k lease and 1-2k gas/trips/etc. throw in 300-500 in for animal processing. You can easily get up to the make thousands of dollars

Comment

I’m glad I have family land to hunt. We don’t feed yr round etc... If I had to pay for a lease and all the other stuff I would probably bow out of hunting. Heck I’m almost there now. We are MLD and I have no desire to hunt. About the only time I will go is when they are coming to the horns. Sitting in a box staring at a feeder bores me to death now days.

Comment

Originally posted by TxLonghorn View Post
            I calculated the per pound cost of deer....never again

If prices go up any more I may be out on hunting. I enjoy it but may not be able to justify the price.

If you assume 1-2k lease and 1-2k gas/trips/etc. throw in 300-500 in for animal processing. You can easily get up to the make thousands of dollars

Good post here...don’t think any of us will ever be able to justify the cost for sure. We all do it because we love the things involved with hunting. It’s the cooking, friends, having a few adult beverages at the camp. You only live once, enjoy this and enjoy the outdoors, family and friends.

Comment

An addiction can be a good thing....taken in moderation of course

Comment

I don’t keep receipts for anything I buy. I don’t want to know the total of what I have spent this year.

Comment

I ain’t never seen an armored car backed up to a grave. Who will spend your money when you pass on? I’m gonna hunt as long as I am able. You have to have some quality of life. Do what “pleases you” while you can, as long as you don’t put your family in jeopardy. My attitude has changed since I was diagnosed with prostate surgery, had a hip replaced, and am scheduled for heart surgery next month. And, I am going to the lease with my son and grandson next week and plan to spend as much time in a stand as my wore out old butt will stand it. Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Payne346 View Post
                    Good post here...don’t think any of us will ever be able to justify the cost for sure. We all do it because we love the things involved with hunting. It’s the cooking, friends, having a few adult beverages at the camp. You only live once, enjoy this and enjoy the outdoors, family and friends.
                    I agree with every thing except you only live once. You only die once...you live everyday make it count

Comment

I am blessed to have two really sweet family places and a free hog hunting area. It only costs me corn and time. I understand how lucky I am to be able to have opportunities at pretty good animals each year, and I thank the Lord for them.

Comment

I went from a lease to buying my own place. What I used to spend per year for a lease, I now spend every 3 weeks owning my own place. And you know what, f it. I love to deer hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Nelson View Post
                          So I ran the hard math this morning to see what my $ was per year on deer hunting. Super scary for a person like myself that makes a good living to have almost 19% of my income go to deer hunting. I have been hunting for 40 years and to tell you the truth it doesn't have the appeal as when I was 20 or 30 or 40. Been their done that. I love firearms and will always shoot but the cost is weighing heavily on me to retire within the next 30 years.

First year sense I was 16 that I didn't bow hunt except for a co elk trip. First year I went to fill feeders which we have 18 with no help last weekend. Every year everyone invites their self to opening weekend of rifle.

It's hard to keep a place with everything going without passion.
                          Been there done that. Cost me 10 years of zero hunting. Just now starting to hunt again. Ran a big lease in the Hill Country for 21 years. I just lost it and wanted nothing to do with hunting.
                          When you pull up to the gate and see nothing but work on the other side it is time to switch gears.............

Comment

I am lucky but at what cost do you say your sanity and well being is worth what you are spending?
                            I have a very small lease fee and only 1 1/2 hour drive so I am lucky but what would most if you do if you did not hunt like you do now? Venison is very expensive in comparison to anything you get from a grocery, but why look at it that way ESPECIALLY if you are introducing your kids to the benefits if the outdoors.

Comment

Deer hunting is cheap.

I've never spent a penny on feed.
                              I've never spent a penny on a trail cam.
                              Have had my stands for 30 + years.
                              I hunt in whatever clothes I happen to be wearing.
                              I've owned two 4 wheelers. Bought them used, kept them several years and sold them for more than I paid for them.
                              The last time I was on a lease was almost 30 years ago(I hunt on land we develop/build, land I own or public land).
                              I bought a lifetime hunting/fishing license a long time ago.
                              Have a bunch of guns that I would own whether I hunted or not.

Basically the only thing I spend money on for hunting these days is fuel to get there and back, vacuum bags for cutting them up, Permanon, and arrows/broad heads/ammunition every few years.

I do need a new bow. I'll get one next year. I'm not looking forward to dropping that kind of coin on a stick and a string, but I figure that bow should last me 10-15 years and that's about how long I'll last if I'm lucky.

Comment

Amen on the can't take it with you. I will always cherish the time I get to spend with my son and grandkids at the hunt camp. The experiences and time together is worth more than any inheritance I could leave them.

Comment

Working...
                                X