NV versus Thermal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NV versus Thermal

Well, I have a Pulsar Apex XQ50 thermal scope and wanted something smaller I could use as a hand-held scanner instead of constantly swinging the rifle with the thermal on it. I saw the Sightmark Photon RT 4.5x42S Digital Night Vision Riflescope. At $500 not cheap, but less costly than a thermal.

Went for a hunt last night and only took me one sit to realize NV is not for me--thermal has so much more range and clarity. I was barely able to see the fenceline 200yds away with the NV and with the thermal, I can pick out small critters such as skunks at twice that distance without problems.

Now, as a rifle-mounted scope for shooting at up to maybe 125-150 yds, the NV will get it done as I had no problem seeing deer at that range, and seeing a pig under a feeder at 75-100 yds would be easily done.

So---anyone in the market for a Sightmark Photon RT 4.5x42S Digital Night Vision scope at 10% under market price, check the classifieds.

Did you try another IR light with it or just the factory one?

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
      Did you try another IR light with it or just the factory one?
      The IR light on the Sightmark RT is ligit.

Comment

no comparison between digital nv and gen 3. gen 3 is the sh$T.

Comment

Seems to me the obvious solution to your problem is a QD mount.

You:
          • Already own one good thermal
          • Want to scan with thermal
          • Don't want to spend a bunch of money
          • Hunt from a blind

Spending $250 on a DLOC mount (ask Jason) will give you the ability to use your existing thermal as your scanner. The DLOC has returned-to-zero thousands of times for some folks. Personally I can attest to several hundred take-offs with perfect RTZ. Since you hunt from a blind, the 1.5 seconds it takes to throw it back onto your rail is a non-issue.

Comment

have you looked at the Leopold lt tracker? i havent researched it but it looks small

Comment

Thermal is 100x better

Comment

I can't say enough how thermal is light years better than NV. There just isn't any guess work any longer. When your out in the woods, unless the wildlife have figured out how to shield their warm blood, thermal will pick it out like somebody walking through the forest with a flash light on. It's just nothing short of amazingly awesome.

Comment

I run thermal. I use a thermal handheld flir to scan, and a flir pts536 on the gun.

Comment

How does the thermal y’all are using work in high heat? We have a drone at work with thermal but the contrast is nearly non existent when it’s hot. Just curious if it’s a setting issue or if that is simply a weakness of thermal.

Comment

Originally posted by twostepct View Post
                      How does the thermal y’all are using work in high heat? We have a drone at work with thermal but the contrast is nearly non existent when it’s hot. Just curious if it’s a setting issue or if that is simply a weakness of thermal.
                      if you get a good one, heat isn't an issue seriously i looked through one yesterday in the humidity after the rain and i could see the bars on the fences as well as window, window pains thing was fricken awesome! cant describe the joy i got from looking through that thing

Comment

Obviously in the day, you will see things warmer. But compared to the warm blood of an animal, you’ll still see a stark difference. I’ve said this before. When I’m up in the stand, it’s almost boring. I used to look carefully with binoculars wondering if what I seen was anything. Now, when I see red moving, I’m scoping lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Blitz View Post
                          Obviously in the day, you will see things warmer. But compared to the warm blood of an animal, you’ll still see a stark difference. I’ve said this before. When I’m up in the stand, it’s almost boring. I used to look carefully with binoculars wondering if what I seen was anything. Now, when I see red moving, I’m scoping lol.
                          which thermal do you run?

Comment

That makes sense. I used it today when the ambient temperature was about 95-96 degrees and the contrast between grass and human was not great at all.

Comment

Originally posted by twostepct View Post
                              That makes sense. I used it today when the ambient temperature was about 95-96 degrees and the contrast between grass and human was not great at all.
                              which thermal? The one i looked through was pretty darn clear

Comment

Working...
                              X