Pecan Trees, I need info.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pecan Trees, I need info.

I have a small lot near a wet weather creek that holds good soil and moisture. So, I have thought about planting Pecans. I will be able to water them.

What variety is the best for south central Texas and what distance apart? Is there a any disease or insect I need to worry about?

Thanks.

Following

Comment

what county are you in?

Comment

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
        what county are you in?
        Wilson

Comment

30 foot on the spacing, should be good with a Cheyenne, Pawnee, Choctaw nut. Pecans trees don't like wet feet.

Comment

Unless you like picking up limbs constantly I would not plant pecans unless you are trying to raise them to sell. I have two in my back yard and it is a constant battle.

Now if you don't anticipate having to shred or anything around them it would be ok.

They may not like wet feet but they do consume lots of water.

Comment

I have a bud with a 700 tree orchard. Limbs take him weeks a year to pick up.......

Comment

Did not know about limbs falling all the time. I had thought about Texas persimmons but not sure on that either

Comment

Plant Burkett. Great tasting nut and grow about as well as anything. Just think in 15 years you won't be able to reach both hands around them. Your grandkids will love them though.

Comment

Working...
                  X