The proper way to measure pipe.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The proper way to measure pipe.

One of my pet peeves that has stuck with me since my downhole tool days, is properly calling out pipe sizes.

Every time I hear someone say " 2 3/8 pipe or 2 7/8 pipe" its like fingernails on a chalkboard.

I just thought some of you might be interested in this info.

Most pipe is roughly measured in I.D. at standard thickness up until 14" pipe. I say roughly because you wont find a 2" pipe measuring 2" anywhere, but all 2" pipe is 2 3/8 OD.

If you find a peace of pipe that doesn't match this chart, then you have a peace of tubing, not pipe.
    Attached Files

I still call it 2 3/8 and 2 7/8 but everything else is ID

Comment

I'm in the pipe design business for ExxonMobil and your chart is correct. We use NPS (Nominal Pipe Size) We don't call out 2 3/8" OD pipe. It's simply called out as 2" pipe. 14" pipe and above is actually 14" OD, etc. as per your chart.

Comment

Not an oilfield guy but I’ve always referred to pipe size by NPS, Schedule, material (i.e., 2” Schedule 40, carbon steel).

But whoever came up with the convention for pipe sizes deserved a kick in the shin, I’ve read a few bits on how it came to be but it still makes me scratch my OCD head for being so oddball.

Comment

My nails on chalkboard is spelling. It’s piece of pipe, not peace……….

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
            If you find a peace of pipe that doesn't match this chart, then you have a peace of tubing, not pipe.
            This is awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
              My nails on chalkboard is spelling. It’s piece of pipe, not peace……….
              I guess one correction deserves another. LOL

Comment

I'm in the utility business, which builds, operates, and maintains many times more pipe than the energy sector ever will, and that whole chart is essentially meaningless in my world!

Comment

Indians smoke Peace Pipes.

Comment

every type of pipe I've ever called out was classified by OD, then wall thickness and grade. drift where applicable.

OD matters when it's inside an annulus.
                    Last edited by kyle1974; 12-01-2021, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Well I'll be. I've been doing it wrong all this time. I would always use these points for measuring. Thanks
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
                        OD matters when it's inside an annulus.
                        That's what she said.

Jokes aside, my uncle would get legitimately angry with folks (whom he thought should know better) about this, way beyond OP's pet peeve. I get it.

Comment

Originally posted by drycreek3189 View Post
                          my nails on chalkboard is spelling. It’s piece of pipe, not peace……….:d
                          :d

[ATTACH]1072451[/ATTACH]

Comment

Thanks. Very helpful after I retire!

Comment

2 3/8 pipe , 2 7/8 pipe it’s still just a pizza pipe.

Comment

Working...
                              X