Scope question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scope question

I am not too familiar with scopes, but I was trying g to sight in my rifle at 100 yds today and I am still an inch and a half low, but I ha e no more room to turn the turret. It is pegged out. I took it to the shop at Alpine and they said it had 42 MOA travel distance and that seemed "awfully low" and I needed to call Sig to find out what to do.

Scope is Sig Sierra 3 BDX 30mm, 6.5-20x52. No rail, bass pro said i didn't need it and installed rings onto the receiver.

What are my options? Is it something bass pro did when bore sighting or installing? Is it the scope itself?

Any help is much appreciated.

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

Google says scope has 40 moa per spec.

That should be enough... any chance you have a canted rail or scope base on backwards? Or super high rings?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

You need shims in the front, waiting for a 2nd opinion but, my vote is needing to shim under the base , lots of wasted MOA , about .002 would add 20 inches
      A beer/ coke can will work
      Learn how to shim a rifle scope. This is often done in a pinch and should only be a temporary fix until you can perform scope maintenance.
      Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 11-05-2021, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Scope question

If I had to guess, there’s some kind of mounting issue. I wouldn’t trust Bass Pro employees to mount a scope on a Nerf gun.
        Last edited by Raider4044; 11-05-2021, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Raider4044 View Post
          If I had to guess, there’s some kind of mounting issue. I wouldn’t trust Bass Pro employees to mount a scope on a Nerf gun.
          Yup. This was pretty much my thinking. I’d be pulling everything off and starting from scratch.

Comment

Shim seems like such a Jimmy rig when I paid good money they should have known what they were doing. I don't like bps...but section was hard to find.

Comment

Any more info you could provide on the rifle and type of rings?

Comment

This is the rings they picked out and installed. Placed directly on receiver.

Rifle is tikka t3x lite veil wideland in 6.5 prc

Comment

Sometimes you just get tolerance issues...try reversing the rings as I've had that work before. Slop in the action, bases & rings in the right places can add up. Be glad it's vertical & not horizontal. I've had it so bad that the Burris posi-line rings w/ insert set up was the only option.

If it does the same with another scope then time to try another set of rings...sometimes shimming is the only option. Brownells has a kit.

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
                    Shim seems like such a Jimmy rig when I paid good money they should have known what they were doing. I don't like bps...but section was hard to find.

Yeah, there’s no way I’d put shims on one of my rifles. Something isn’t right and needs to be fixed/replaced.

Comment

Yeah, there’s no way I’d put shims on one of my rifles. Something isn’t right and needs to be fixed/replaced.
                      , shimming has been done since scopes went on rifle and pistol
                      It the idiots @ bass pro that have no clue how to tune a firearm is my guess! answer is get your **** tuned my real gunsmith who knows how to shim , bed & center a rifle,

P.s word from a old school competitor shooter never leave a shop
                      Till your rifle and scope is tuned and centered with a quality bore site

Comment

Scope question

Originally posted by S-3 Ranch View Post
                        , shimming has been done since scopes went on rifle and pistol
                        It the idiots @ bass pro that have no clue how to tune a firearm is my guess! answer is get your **** tuned my real gunsmith who knows how to shim , bed & center a rifle,

P.s word from a old school competitor shooter never leave a shop
                        Till your rifle and scope is tuned and centered with a quality bore site

I’m sure it works fine for 90% of hunters who never take a shot past 100 yards, but tolerance stack is no bueno for any precision item, whether it’s a firearm, or other tools, parts, etc. and needs to be avoided whenever possible. I dang sure wouldn’t use a beer can unless I was in a bad pinch.

I can see doing it on an older rifle, but in a situation like this on a newer rifle, there’s no way I would be ok doing something like that. Like I said, there’s an equipment issue of some kind, whether it’s the scope, rings/rail, or the rifle. Adding shims is just putting a bandaid over the real issue that needs to be addressed by replacing or remounting rings/scope or sending the rifle back to Tikka if it comes down to it.
                        Last edited by Raider4044; 11-05-2021, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Adding shims is just putting a bandaid over the real issue that needs to be addressed by replacing or remounting rings/scope or sending the rifle back to Tikka if it comes down to it.
                          For what it is worth i was happy with the rifle's performance. The last group, bullets 8, 9 and 10 down the barrel were nearly covered by a quarter. I am sure I could have done better with proper equipment. It was the first time I was using sand bags...I think with a lead sled I am dialed in. That said, I was happy but not about to send $3 down range every shot when I can't get the scope sighted in perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by S-3 Ranch View Post
                            You need shims in the front, waiting for a 2nd opinion but, my vote is needing to shim under the base , lots of wasted MOA , about .002 would add 20 inches
                            A beer/ coke can will work
                            https://gungoals.com/how-to-shim-a-rifle-scope/
                            Just because it’s been done for years doesn’t mean it’s wise. Shimming with a Coke can piece is one of the dumber things I’ve seen suggested.

OP, post pics of the set up. What rings etc.

Comment

It sounds like a mounting issue, please post pics..
                              Look for similar mounting setups
                              On YouTube from reputable sources
                              Like Gunwerks videos..

Comment

Working...
                              X