2021-22 east texas season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post
    They were about 4 ft to 6ft tall when I started leasing the property 10 years ago so I figure about 2 years old maybe. First thinning this year which was every 4th row and in 5 years they will come and take out every 2nd row and then cut the remaining and plant again in 10 years. The lease has been great just really thick until now. The forester said the next 10 years will be the best with it getting better and better each year. I look at those pics and its crazy to imagine those trees were 5ft tall on average 10 years ago.
    Appreciate the info.
    Thanks

Comment

We did make it out to the lease this weekend and got my rifle and bow blinds set up in one spot and my wifes bow blind set up. The deer have been hitting her spot as well but the camera took a crap and didn't take any pics but you can tell under the feeder. The tripod feeder had deer hitting it 2 days after I set it up a month ago. I just put a muddy manifest cellular camera on my spot this weekend and will pick another one up for my wifes.
      Attached Files

Comment

We did make it out to the lease this weekend and got my rifle and bow blinds set up in one spot and my wifes bow blind set up. The deer have been hitting her spot as well but the camera took a crap and didn't take any pics but you can tell under the feeder. The tripod feeder had deer hitting it 2 days after I set it up a month ago. I just put a muddy manifest cellular camera on my spot this weekend and will pick another one up for my wifes.
        Looks good.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
          Yes sir.
          Was in there Saturday evening. We love it

Comment

Made a run out to check cards after getting home from vacation. Two weeks, 1350 pics. Lots of doe and tiny fawns along with one buck, a 1 1/2 yo 7 point. Small group of young pigs passed through late last week and never came back. Just that alone tells me there is way more food available and the mature bucks will likely steer clear for a while. We don’t typically start getting pics until 1st or 2nd week of Oct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Checked mock scrap where I had “Main Event” last few years. I’ve never seen him in velvet in his 8+ years. August 29 last year is when I came back… so hoping he grew as much as the others! The 9 that I passed countless time exploded this year! He I at scrape daily and often in daylight. He will be a hard pass if “M.E.” Is a no show or damaged somehow. Exciting to start seeing this older class of deer finishing up!!!

Comment

Looking good Mike

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
                  For some odd reason my bachelor groups have been non existent and very good at hiding. I’m assuming it’s because of all the browse they’ve had this year. I can account for maybe three 1 1/2 year old bucks all summer long. In the past I never see any target bucks show up until they are in hard horn but always have younger groups at the protein feeders. But not many of them this year. I have no problem feeding year round even though the bucks aren’t benefiting the does are so their in good physical condition for fawning season and after. But I’m sure glad others are starting to post pictures of some good bucks though cause I’ve been starving over here. All in all I’m fortunate to know that they are still around and they will show up all in the same week. It’s like someone flips a switch. The last 2 seasons I have watched a good 4 1 /2 year old that just needed one more year. Each time that particular buck will stay and be very visible all season long and making a gluten out of himself on the protein. But in late January they will always leave regardless of food supply and not be seen again until late Sept. or early Oct. But both of the last 2 seasons they have come back and allowed me to take them at 5 1/2. I’ve always wondered if they were still on the property or 5 miles away.

You know I always wondered the same thing about bucks leaving an area and how far/where they went. I just listened to a podcast from the southern outdoorsman and they had a guy on that’s done gps collar studies on mature bucks. He even did several on a hunting club in Alabama (I think) and they had specific cases of 4.5+ old bucks that guys on the club may only get a photo of once during season at midnight or something near a feeder, but otherwise they’d never see the buck at all. They talked about how common they found it to be that a mature buck will live within 100-200 yards of a stand/feeder set up that he’ll absolutely never visit or go near until a hot doe comes through the area. Not much use to you but thought it was super interesting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

When do east Texas bucks typically stop growing their antlers and rub off the velvet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

In the next two weeks or so

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
                        In the next two weeks or so

I think they’ll probably start in the next couple of weeks, but a lot of them will have velvet till about the end of September.

Comment

We are in Rosevine off 103 right between San Augustine and Hemphill.
                          Ahh ok. We take that first major left after the 103 bridge at the shell station....looks like you head about 15 more minutes down 103. That gas station doesnt sell alcohol!!

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                            Ahh ok. We take that first major left after the 103 bridge at the shell station....looks like you head about 15 more minutes down 103. That gas station doesnt sell alcohol!!
                            If you want alcohol near Etoile/CR 226 you will have to go to Kingtown. Once on 226 you take a left on Cr 552 and there's a liquor store at Kingtown Landing.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                              Good thing about our lease is there is one little mom and pop store in Rosevine on 103 and they sell beer👍

Comment

Couple of late one's showed up yesterday. Definitely some good activity at this new set up. Im actually kind of surprised they are hitting the feeder as hard as they are with all the browse we have.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X