Pool Depth Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mjhaverkamp View Post
    If you go with a diving pool you will not have much shallow end at all with that size pool, most of your time will be spent in the shallow end, I would go with the play pool if I were building that size pool.

Should I go bigger?

The pool will be 16x32 with the large hot in and sun deck not part of that foot print.

I’m wanting to go the river rock look like this with the pavers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

When I was growing up we had 3.5 on each end and 8 in the middle. We dove in the middle... or put the net up and played volleyball or threw the football from either end.

Comment

Originally posted by bps3040 View Post
        I will be different, 5’6” deep, in middle, is too deep. I build pools for a living, biggest complaint is when people go 5’6” in middle. 5’ is much better. 5’6” is too deep for women and half the men. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Our company also builds pools and I agree. One of the biggest regrets from customers is going to deep. A typical pool for us would be 3.5' at the steps, 5' in the middle and 4' on the other end. Of course we'll do whatever the customer wants. I can tell you from experience that everyone will hang out in the shallower areas. My pool goes from 3.5' to 6' and when we have parties everyone is in the shallow half of the pool mostly.

Comment

We inherited (bought a house with) an older pool that we just recently had renovated. It's 3.5' on the shallow end and slopes down to 8' in the deep end. Seems a lot of the older pools (30+ years old) were designed this way.

The pool did have an old diving board, which we elected to take out. The primary reason was that nobody could install a new one because an 8' deep end is no longer deep enough to pass current code.

Guess what I'm saying is that a volley ball style pool like others have mentioned probably is the best bet in the long run. Sure, a diving board and deep-end can be cool, but it also has a bit of novelty aspect to it. Diving boards also have a lot of liability and pool builders/renovators will only mess with them if code allows. In our case, the deep-end was no longer even deep enough to pass code. There are other options like diving rocks/ledges. I've also seen slides built into rock ledges.

Bottom line, only 50% of our pool receives a lot of usage. During the renovation, we ended up installing a 5' bench in the deep-end to allow for a bit more usage on that end of the pool.

Comment

Ours is 3.5 left 5.5 middle and 4.5 right

Comment

We have about the same dimensions you are going with. We went shallow by the tanning ledge and deeper by the spa because we have kids that wanted a jumping rock. It is a "water feature" so not considered a diving rock or diving board. The deepest part is 8.5 ft. in the corner by the spa and the kids jump that way to be safe. Directly out in front of the jumping rock it is over 6 ft.
              We have a volleyball net set up but it is hard to play when in the deep end.
              If you don't have kids that would like to be jumping in the pool, then go with the 2 shallow ends.
              Last edited by No-Tox; 12-13-2020, 07:49 PM.

Comment

This thread makes me glad that we chose our pool depths the way we did on the one we are building now. We just finished building a house but our old house had a diving pool. Like others have said, everyone congregated in the shallow end. At the new house, I have a 40x50 building with a 14’ covered porch along the long side toward the pool. We did a free form pool with a tanning ledge, then depths of 4-6-5 with the 5’ end toward the building/porch. Our goal is that it should maximize our entertainment area while no longer having crowding in the shallow end.

Comment

Our’s is 4 on one end 5.5 in middle and 4.5 on other end. Have waterfall/jumping rock in middle. I wish ours was 3.5 on both ends.

Comment

Working...
                  X