Knives - Jim Dandy Gorgeous (haaa)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knives - Jim Dandy Gorgeous (haaa)

Been working a lot more frequently with mammoth tusk and tooth and thought I'd pass along a few little tips and tricks for those just starting to use it on their knives to save some heart ache and cost. Hope you enjoy the pics and a if you glean a little help, that's ok too! (none of this is rocket surgery but it might help someone)

New drill bits - I've started using only fresh bits on all tusk material, particularly crosscut sections of tusk and all tooth. These pieces are most susceptible to "blowouts"

drill bits - Find a good size guide and order bits that are just the frogs hair larger size than your pin whether it be a numbered or lettered bit

Epoxy - Found that putting a thin layer over the handle where I'll be drilling (or super glue) helps prevent blowouts and repair.

Acrylic - You can also try clamping the handle between acrylic pieces and drilling through - I've had good success with that as well.

Ahhh, and save your dust left over from drilling in the rare case you need it to fill in any gaps mixed with superglue - you'll never know there was a small blemish if needed.

The first is a clippoint(ish) hunter I just finished with some gorgeous blue center cut mammoth tusk while the other is a niter blued Damascus hunter I made and stopped it at a nickel patina type finish. (fwiw, I appreciate and prefer the full hand filed vine patterns vs. a machine filed vine as you see the detailed curves stand out and add to the craftsmanship side of things)
    Attached Files

Those are amazing. Absolutely love that first knife!

Comment

Wow those are very nice

Comment

Purty, I'm still with wood, buffalo, G10 and Kirnite.

Comment

Originally posted by ATXArcher View Post
          Those are amazing. Absolutely love that first knife!
          Originally posted by twosixteens View Post
          Wow those are very nice
          Thank you gentlemen!

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
            Purty, I'm still with wood, buffalo, G10 and Kirnite.
            Thanks. I still do a bunch in exotic woods and did a few a couple years back with the Kirinite. Just felt the kirinite ran its course in a short period of time with guys who bought from me was all.

Comment

the title was tongue in cheek just so that doesn't get missed

Comment

Nice work sir!

Comment

I've had a few people ask me about making some with Mammoth tooth handles, but honestly, been scared of it because of the cost and potential money loss if they bust apart or something. So, how hard is it to work? Sanding, polishing, etc. I completely get the new drill bit advice given. Just curious otherwise how fragile is it overall? I'm going to have to bite the bullet and do one soon, just would like to know what I'm in for......thanks in advance.

Comment

That is one fine knife

Comment

Originally posted by Puggy625 View Post
                      I've had a few people ask me about making some with Mammoth tooth handles, but honestly, been scared of it because of the cost and potential money loss if they bust apart or something. So, how hard is it to work? Sanding, polishing, etc. I completely get the new drill bit advice given. Just curious otherwise how fragile is it overall? I'm going to have to bite the bullet and do one soon, just would like to know what I'm in for......thanks in advance.
                      Great question. I’d start with a tusk outer bark piece to start. It’s the most stable to drill through. It also sands easier than the inner core and tooth pieces. None of them are hard to sand per se and you can rough shape on a sanding belt too. Make sure you have ventilation and a mask. Hope that helps somewhat.

Comment

Beautiful knives, and the closeup pics really show your excellent craftsmanship. Very helpful info on working with mammoth tusk and tooth, thanks for sharing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon County Slayer View Post
                          Great question. I’d start with a tusk outer bark piece to start. It’s the most stable to drill through. It also sands easier than the inner core and tooth pieces. None of them are hard to sand per se and you can rough shape on a sanding belt too. Make sure you have ventilation and a mask. Hope that helps somewhat.
                          Thanks. Exactly what I needed.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 3ChordTruth View Post
                            Beautiful knives, and the closeup pics really show your excellent craftsmanship. Very helpful info on working with mammoth tusk and tooth, thanks for sharing it.
                            Originally posted by Puggy625 View Post
                            Thanks. Exactly what I needed.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
                            Thank you. Happy to!

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                              Nice work sir!
                              Originally posted by Jdk426 View Post
                              That is one fine knife
                              Thanks for the kind words guys!

Comment

Working...