No announcement yet.

Cotton Mouths : How many in this pic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While a young copperhead will also have a yellow-flo green tail tip, the “bands” are more smooth, and more hourglass shaped, almost like if they were an adult copperhead. Whereas the one in the pic above has saw edged uneven bands, extra spots/lines within the bands, plus the horizontal dark band round the eye/along lower jaw, definitely baby cottonmouth. As to original pics, stinkin, bad attitude DB water snake. As was already mentioned, still a “good kill” in my book! Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty

Comment

Oops. bboswell beat me to it.

Comment

dag nabbit!!

Comment

That’s a diamondback water snake. Smell absolutely awful but harmless

Comment

Those are water snakes. Definitely not moccasins. Young moccasins and copper heads, have yellow tails. Even without seeing the tails, it's obvious those are not moccasins.

Comment

Originally posted by coonazz View Post
              It's funny how many outdoorsmen can't tell the difference between a water snake and a moccasin.
              Don’t forget about the rat snake. The official snake of TBH .

Comment

I will let everyone know they are moving my bil was biten Friday by a 3 ft cottonmouth. Took 6 doses of anti and 3 days in a hospital bed he was lucky... no pond or river within a mile of where the snake was and we have never seen one there since we have been there 20 ish years.

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post
                  None? Don’t think those are cottonmouths.
                  This is the correct answer.

Comment

Originally posted by coonazz View Post
                    It's funny how many outdoorsmen can't tell the difference between a water snake and a moccasin.

How is that? If a person lives in an area where there aren’t any (you’d be hard pressed to find either a cm or a dbws anywhere around where I live or hunt), how would they know what they were, much less which was which????

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

You should've left that one alone. That's a good one.

Comment

And the #watersnakelivesmatter folks are offended

Comment

If DBWS didn’t want to get blasted they shouldn’t look so much like a cottonmouth.

Comment

Originally posted by Cbb1722 View Post
                            And the #watersnakelivesmatter folks are offended
                            0k........

Mom was raised on a farm in Bowie County and in the summer when I went to visit my grand parents I'd kill 10 to 15 stump-tails a day along the creek, some days as many as twenty five. Tried for years to wipe them out. I Finally ask John Werler of the Houston Zoo how to get rid of them. He said just go over to Lake Texarkana and catch about 200 Diamond Back water snake and move to your creek. It worked, still had snakes but in a year's time you couldn't find a Water Moccasin.

Comment

Working...
                            X