The Backcountry Gear Thread!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jaker_cc View Post
    Sweet man, I hope you get up there and tear it up. This heat and humidity sure make training tougher than it needs to be.

I’ve at least been climbing poles for the last 15 weeks so it could be worse. Lol. I am gonna start a cut diet tomorrow morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Got a buddy with a Wyoming elk tag for sept 1-4 (be there the 30th to help scout and leaving before his hunt is over), my elk tag in Montana starts sept 5-15, my gf drew a rifle mule deer tag in New Mexico for nov 7-11, and I drew a late archery tag for 2B in New Mexico January 1-15. Sounds like you have a good one coming up as well. How are you going to do your Colorado deer tag with your NM elk tag??

Sounds like a solid lineup, especially 2b. That’s a sweet unit, found my biggest muley she’s ever hunting elk in there.

Fortunately I can work from my inReach, hardest part is keeping kids able to understand. They are almost use to me being gone 2-3 weeks in late August/sept. My bride is super cool with it, and knew the game back when we were dating.

Hard part is Colorado early season change. Looks like will be more scouting than actual hunt time. Then home for a few days before 2nd archery nm elk.

Comment

How do y'all clean or sanitize your hydration packs?

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
          How do y'all clean or sanitize your hydration packs?

I don’t have a pack, I’ve just got bladders that I throw in the lid of my pack. I wash them out with soap and hot water. Then rinse thoroughly. Hang them upside down with the top off to dry. Once dry I roll them to get all the air out and seal them.

Comment

I’ll be in SW and Central Colorado pretty much the whole month of September hunting, camping, fishing, and off-roading. If any of y’all get an animal down and need help on a long/hard pack out, let me know. I’ll be happy to assist. I didn’t get lucky enough to draw any of the tags I wanted, so I’ll probably just be doing OTC. If anyone is going solo or for the first time and doesn’t want to go alone, let me know and we can team up. I’m just in it for the hunt and the adventure. Killing an elk is just a bonus.

Comment

Tagged

Comment

I don’t have a pack, I’ve just got bladders that I throw in the lid of my pack. I wash them out with soap and hot water. Then rinse thoroughly. Hang them upside down with the top off to dry. Once dry I roll them to get all the air out and seal them.
                I see that Camelbak makes pills that are for sanitizing the bladders, I was not sure what the best method is. I hate to put soap in side a bladder and it leave a taste in the water. I was also told that denture cleaning tablets work the best.
                Last edited by Radar; 08-06-2020, 05:05 AM.

Comment

I see that Camelbak makes pills that are for sanitizing the bladders, I was not sure what the best method is. I hate to put soap in side a bladder and it leave a taste in the water. I was also told that denture cleaning tablets work the best.
                  I’ve washed/cleaned many bladders with just a drop or two of dawn dish soap and then let them dry upside down. If it doesn’t have a wide mouth opening at the top, take a wooden spoon and wrap some paper towels around it and slide it up in the bladder and leave it there for a while as it dries. It’ll help keep the bladder opened up all the way down rather than sticking together and never drying completely.

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor73402 View Post
                    I’ve washed/cleaned many bladders with just a drop or two of dawn dish soap and then let them dry upside down. If it doesn’t have a wide mouth opening at the top, take a wooden spoon and wrap some paper towels around it and slide it up in the bladder and leave it there for a while as it dries. It’ll help keep the bladder opened up all the way down rather than sticking together and never drying completely.
                    That has been the problem with my other bladders, I end up buying a new one because they never dry out completely and they get funky inside. I wish they made one that could be turned inside out.

Comment

I just fill mine up all the way with tap water and hang it. They don't seem to get funky when they're full. Works great for having an emergency water storage system too. lol

Comment

I've used Hydrogen Peroxide in mine before. Haven't had any issues.

Comment

Next question,

What is the best method for y'all to carry your bow? They must be a hundred different answers on Rokslide. I tried to strap it to my pack and carry it but it seemed unbalanced.
                          My bow with a full quiver weighs almost 8 pounds.

Comment

Next question,

What is the best method for y'all to carry your bow? They must be a hundred different answers on Rokslide. I tried to strap it to my pack and carry it but it seemed unbalanced.
                            I use a 3 arrow quiver on my bow and carry 3 more arrows in my pack.. If I'm not carrying my bow in hand I'll lay it across my shoulders behind my head.. head between the stabilizer and sight.

Comment

Next question,

In my opinion something protecting the strings, cables and cams on your bow is a must for a mountain hunt. I didn’t take a sling to NZ and I beat the **** out of my bow. I’ve done the pack thing and I’ve used the sling. I am gonna tinker more this year.

Comment

Next question,

Love my Primos bow sling. We hunt Amistad often and I use a Sitka Ascent 12 pack out there, has a nice bow retention system that works wonders. Anywhere else I'm using the Primos sling. I have the old school ones they've been redesigned and look better.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X