Forester in SE Oklahoma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forester in SE Oklahoma

I'm looking at having a few areas of my place thinned or cut. I have about 10-15 acres of pines that could use some attention that are easily 12-15 years old.

Who can I contact? Can I expect to make any money? How's the process work?

Thanks!

Brandon

I am a forester in south east Texas and don't know the market up there. Based on the market here, pine pulpwood is going for about 5 - 6 dollars per ton. On a thining, depending on how hard you thin it, you usually cut 1- 1.5 loads per acre (average 27-28 tons per load). I usually tell clients a pulpwood first thin works out to about $150 per acre on a conservative estimate.
    The bigger issue is distance to mills taking pulpwood (your market) and finding a logger who will cut small acreage.

I don't know about OK, but arkansas and Texas had state programs that gave incentives to loggers and landowners to thin very dense stands of timber. Contact your local state forestry service to see if they have any programs ( maybe something associated with southern pine Beatle prevention).

Sorry I can't give you any leads to a local forester there.

Feel free to pm me if you have any specific questions

Comment

PM sent SFA.

Comment

Originally posted by eagles405 View Post
        I am a forester in south east Texas and don't know the market up there. Based on the market here, pine pulpwood is going for about 5 - 6 dollars per ton. On a thining, depending on how hard you thin it, you usually cut 1- 1.5 loads per acre (average 27-28 tons per load). I usually tell clients a pulpwood first thin works out to about $150 per acre on a conservative estimate.
        The bigger issue is distance to mills taking pulpwood (your market) and finding a logger who will cut small acreage.

I don't know about OK, but arkansas and Texas had state programs that gave incentives to loggers and landowners to thin very dense stands of timber. Contact your local state forestry service to see if they have any programs ( maybe something associated with southern pine Beatle prevention).

Sorry I can't give you any leads to a local forester there.

Feel free to pm me if you have any specific questions
        Thanks for the info! My place is actually right down the road from an International Paper plant.

I also would like some pine, hardwood, etc. cut in some other areas to help create some food plots.

I'll reach out to a local forestry service.

Comment

Were you able to get it thinned? Or will you be having it done soon?

Comment

Originally posted by SFAbowhunter View Post
            Thanks for the info! My place is actually right down the road from an International Paper plant.

I also would like some pine, hardwood, etc. cut in some other areas to help create some food plots.

I'll reach out to a local forestry service.

I work at the IP mill in Valliant. Is that the one your talking about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

IP is the biggest buyer of pulpwood in SE Oklahoma. I don’t think they own timberland any longer but they have a vested interest in buying pulpwood and could lead you to the right forester/ logger in the area

Comment

IP won’t have much interest in your hardwood but the logger will have a market. I would recommend developing a relationship with a local forester if you can. They are normally really good people and can help you develop a plan to maximize your timber return

Comment

While we are here..... anyone have before and after pics of forestry work on their land?

Comment

Sent you a PM.

Comment

We are waiting to hear back on some tree work on some property just west of Poteau, trying to kill several birds with one stone. We asked a local guy If he wanted to harvest a 20ft section roughly 2 miles long of hardwoods and pine. Which would clear off the fenceline. Not holding my breath..

Comment

Working...
                      X