WWII knife/dagger barn find. Needs rehab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WWII knife/dagger barn find. Needs rehab

I wish I could say this knife was used to ward off a savage banzai attack on Iowa Jima or pierced the heart of a fanatical Nazi storm trooper during the Battle of the Bulge. It could have, but we will never know. I found this relic on the floor of a barn we recently cleaned out on our new acerage. The reality is it may have been a surplus store score back in the late 50’s?

It’s pretty rusted out and it took quite a bit of PB Blaster and several bangs on a vice to get the knife to come out of the sheath . I want to refurbish. Knife experts, any suggestions?

Military knife guys... this does not appear to be a bayonet since there is no lug . It’s not a K-Bar as the blade is way too small. What is it? A general purpose knife or dagger?

Click image for larger version

Name:	E2562676-7663-4B50-9E54-95CAFE26D434.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	25208372

Soak it in evapo rust for 24 hours that will remove all of the rust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Close.

Name:	13B38275-F6C6-4271-B70B-B9875E3A4C00.png
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	24612994

Comment

Nice find

Comment

Found it. https://www.google.com/search?q=us+m...qqBihqTysgrf3M

Comment

That looks like a V42 similar to what was used by the Ranger Battalions in WWII. Cuts both ways. Does the handle end have a raised point on it, or is it more flat?
            Last edited by El Paisano; 03-30-2020, 07:03 AM. Reason: More info

Comment

Found this in my Grandfathers garage in an old tool box after he passed. Did some internet research to confirm this type of knife was carried during WWII. According to the family stories, he did participate in the Battle of the Bulge, though i think he caught it on the tail end. It was rusted up and in pretty bad shape, but last year i sent it to Leon County Slayer to make a custom sheath and touch the blade up. Pretty special item i plan to pass down to my boys.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by El Paisano View Post
                That looks like a V42 similar to what was used by the Ranger Battalions in WWII. Cuts both ways. Does the handle end have a raised point on it, or is it more flat?
                It’s more flat and at first I thought it was a dagger because it does look like there’s an edge on both sides . Handle end is flat.

Name:	FF193D25-60CD-43E6-ADA6-197CEBA1A068.jpg
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	24613003

Name:	E4DFBF69-48B4-4ECA-8576-7D32A9C0A50C.jpg
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	24613004

Comment

I see which one this is, I just can’t match up the name thank you for posting that.

Comment

Try this one.
                    https://blademag.com/knife-history/p...-war-ii-knives

Comment

It's an M5 Bayonet for use on the M1 Garand, from the 1950's. It's possible that someone had taken the mount off and re-handled it at some point or it's just so rusted that you can't tell that's what is there anymore.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
                          It's an M5 Bayonet for use on the M1 Garand, from the 1950's. It's possible that someone had taken the mount off and re-handled it at some point or it's just so rusted that you can't tell that's what is there anymore.

I believe is a M3.

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
                            I believe is a M3.
                            I think you are right, didn't know about the M3 fighting knife. My experience was only with bayonets.

Comment

Not a V42.

Comment

Working...
                              X