Small Ranch Purchase Opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small Ranch Purchase Opinions

Hey guys, I wanted to get some opinions here.
    I have been looking to buy a small South Texas or Hill Country property for a number of years. I was originally hoping for 200 acres or better within 4 hours of Houston.The problem has been that I haven’t been able to afford what I wanted.

I have found something interesting though. I found a place that I like. It has nice housing, remote, good brush, good deer, and a great location. It is within my price range and driving distance. The problem is that it is only 78 acres. It is in the George West area about 3.5 hrs out.The neighbors are a mix of 200 acre to 500 acres.

I just don’t know about the 78 acres ? Do you get bored on 78 acres? I can see 3 hunting locations but they will be the same animals probably. A loop around the property is only about a mile. You can walk everywhere. As a kid we had a 50 acre place and I knew every inch of it.

I know I am settling, but it is a pretty piece of property that has good hunting.

Then there is the timing with all the Cov 19 and oil drop uncertainty. With Cov19 , who knows what will happen? With oil being down, we might see land prices drop as well? This may not be the best time to take on debt.
    Maybe I should sit tight?

Have they had any offers?

Comment

I'd love to settle on 78 acres. 1st world problems. Lol. My 15 acres keeps me busy. And I love it because it's mine. It'll be whatever you make of it. I'm proud to drive through the gates.
      Last edited by Big Lee; 03-24-2020, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Lots of big deer killed on much smaller properties, I hunt 50 acres and always see lots of deer... Have you thought that maybe prices might go up once we see a rebound?

Comment

Like the old saying goes, you Can’t always get what you want. Lol

My dad just bought 100 acres of land in Willacy County. He’s looked for years and years and the only thing he regrets is waiting so long to buy, not the size of the ranch.

Comment

Read through this thread. https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=668630

Lots of fun packed into 81 acres. And if life takes a change can always sell and revisit wants/needs in property later.

Comment

Buy it and then try to add contiguous acreage later.
              Most important thing is your neighbors on a small place.

Been there, done that.

Comment

For me location trumps everything. I hunt family land an hour from me and can run down there just for an afternoon if I want. I’ve been on leases 5/6hrs away and after the first couple of trips it became work just trying to get there and hunting Sunday evening was out of the question.

Comment

I wouldn’t buy anything I considered “settling”. Especially on a purchase that substantial. I’m probably different that most in my opinion, I would never purchase a smaller (<500 acres) place with the pure intention of hunting.

Comment

How are you settling? If you like it, buy it.

Comment

I bought a piece of property that size 18 months ago. I wanted a lot more property, but I accidentally found this place. I’m surrounded by huge ranches and hardly ever hear or see anyone. I couldn’t be more pleased, would do it all over again.

Comment

If you like it buy it. Nothing like having your own place. Unless this mess last a pretty long while, I don't see land going down much, if at all. If the place is nice and priced right and you like it, I would deal on it soon. Good places don't last long.

Comment

If it meets your needs jump on it.

Comment

Depending on neighbors, or high fence neighbors, brush, highway frontage, water, electricity, and minerals I hunt 137 acres that a lot is open and kill nice deer (144) this year. You can't run all over the place you'll run your deer out and hard to get deer old on small places.

Comment

It’s low fence all around.
                              I thought about going to the hill country to get axis and hill views but the drive is pretty long

Comment

Working...
                              X