Quail project update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quail project update

Three weeks in and the quail are growing great. Lost one runt in the brooder and one to a rat snake the first night in the sun pen. Otherwise good.

Fair amount of size difference. Hoping for some 14oz birds.

Hatch:

Week 3:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im wanting to start some quail. Gonna wait fot this covid crap to end.

Comment

They're fun birds. I'm about to build an open enclosure to try and give them more sun, as I have not gotten eggs the last yearish

Comment

I use to raise them. It was a fun hobby

Comment

Growing up my parents were game bird dealers. Some of my first memories were coming down stairs in the morning to little peeps from the several incubators they kept inside, or sitting at the table watching my parents candling eggs before it was my bed time. Quail and chukar were my favorite.

Comment

How long do these quail live and lay eggs. When i was a teen a got 10 prs of bobwhites. 1 year was about it for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
              How long do these quail live and lay eggs. When i was a teen a got 10 prs of bobwhites. 1 year was about it for them.

Two or three years.

Comment

They lay so many eggs it’s a full time job...

Comment

That's cool. Wish we had a place to turn some loose. I love those birds and the blues.

Comment

So, I’m ignorant here...what is the purpose of raising them? You gonna eat them? I tried to get my wife on board for raising a dozen last year so we could eat them. She didn’t bite. Now we order from Bandera Ranch. What else can you do with them other than eat them when they grow up?

Comment

I bought a bunch of pens, maybe took a year to overwhelm me, lots of fun in the beginning, enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by texasdeerhunter View Post
                        So, I’m ignorant here...what is the purpose of raising them? You gonna eat them? I tried to get my wife on board for raising a dozen last year so we could eat them. She didn’t bite. Now we order from Bandera Ranch. What else can you do with them other than eat them when they grow up?

These are primarily being raised for food. As noted above- they are prolific egg layers. I’m going to keep a couple of males and six females to raise another set or two this summer. Particularity now, as it is a project to keep my mind busy. I have friends with small farms that raise all sorts of stuff. I’ll send some to them as well.

I’ve always thought birds where cool. My son raises broilers through 4h- so we have equipment and experience.

Comment

Do they pair up one on one or will one cock take care of several hens?

Comment

Man that brings back some memories! As Farmdog mentioned we used to have plenty of them!

Comment

awesome! Have a good Buddy who is on here....he has been a lurker for several years but always on here....he raises them and had a couple thousand not to long ago. Not sure the numbers now.

Comment

Working...
                              X