No announcement yet.

Is the 280 Remington Dying?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The two most accurate rifles I have ever fired are 700bdls in 280. 54.5gr of 4350 behind a 140gr Sierra spbt. The only thing done to those rifles was a full bedding including action and trigger adjusted to 18 oz.

Both those rifles shot that load in world class 5 shot groups. I shot a 5 shot group at 100yds that was tight enough that I could sit the hull base on the group and completely cover the group. One slightly irregular hole.
    Last edited by GarGuy; 01-15-2020, 09:32 PM.

Comment

I’ve owned four .280 Rems and still have two. It does everything I need to do. I imagine it might be surprising how many are still out there and in use.

Comment

Like the 6mm Rem, 6.5 Rem mag, 260Rem and 8 mm Rem mag the 280 Rem was dead/dying before they started with the lack of marketing by Remington.

Comment

Originally posted by sendit View Post
          Like the 6mm Rem, 6.5 Rem mag, 260Rem and 8 mm Rem mag the 280 Rem was dead/dying before they started with the lack of marketing by Remington.
          Speaking of 8mm rem mag. I found a 700 bdl made in the late 80's. It was priced right just couldnt bring myself to buy it. Kick myself today for not buying it. It was on the shelf at a local dealers shop for around a year and when I finally said I'm going to go pick it up someone beat me to it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by db@100 View Post
            They didn't make many of the 7 MM Express. You have one and I have the other.
            I had one until somebody wanted it without buying it!

Comment

My question is was the Remington 280 alive? For the record I am legitimately asking the question. My opinion is that it is similar to the 260, it is a great round with many benefits but people were reluctant/ignorant to give up in the tried and true 270 or 30-06. I wish Remington would have marketed it better.

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
                My question is was the Remington 280 alive? For the record I am legitimately asking the question. My opinion is that it is similar to the 260, it is a great round with many benefits but people were reluctant/ignorant to give up in the tried and true 270 or 30-06. I wish Remington would have marketed it better.
                Remington's sorry *** marketing and poor decision making doomed both from the beginning. Wonder what would have happened if Hornady had come out with them, imagine a 280 Creed?

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
                  No it wasn't ever really alive much like the "6.5mm Remington Magnum".. Most have never even heard of the awesome round because it was just a flash in the pan....

Remington should have stayed away from the metric system but there may have been legal reasons for naming it 6.5mm..

Comment

Yes. Yes it is.

Comment

You could ask the same question about several different cartridges I would think. I don’t buy into the marketing aspect too deeply, even though that’s what all the gun writers say. All the “new and improved” cartridges that have been introduced in the last 20 years probably had as much effect as anything. Witness the stampede to own a 6.5 Creedmoor.

But to answer your question directly, if you’re talking about new rifles chambered in .280 Rem, then yes, it’s dead. But if you’re talking about rifles still used every year to hunt with, then it’s very much alive. The main reason that I had APR build a rifle was because I couldn’t buy one in .280 Rem over the counter.

Comment

Best way to note is the 280 offerings at shot... have a 280 classic 700 nib I was thinking of selling but might hang onto

Comment

Working...
                        X