Need the expertise of the GS...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need the expertise of the GS...

Looking to change one of my AR's to more a long range shooter. Based on what I can find online, the only calibers that would work are 6.8spc and 6.5CM. If so, other than barrel, bolt and magazines, what else needs to be swapped to make either caliber work?

Open to suggestions of other calibers as well...

Also, on a side note. I'd like to find a lever gun that is good at medium to medium long ranges with enough stopping power for big game. What options are available?

Thanks in advance, any advice is appreciated.

what distance are you considering 'long range'?
    And are you hunting at this range, or just punching paper?

Comment

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post
      what distance are you considering 'long range'?
      And are you hunting at this range, or just punching paper?
      800 meters or so, maybe a little farther. Not looking to injure an animal, so mostly punching paper. Maybe varmints..

For medium range hunting... maybe 400 to 600 meters.
      Last edited by Commandbro; 01-15-2020, 01:29 PM.

Comment

It can be done, but that's stretching the 6.8 SPC... It was really designed to be efficient in a 16" barrel and out to about 600 yards... 6.5 will work in longer barrels and 800 yards/meters is in its wheelhouse. Big difference is the 6.8 can be converted from the AR15 platform... 6.5 CM is an AR10 platform... = HEAVY... (least that's what I've been tole)... I have a 6.8 that is a "bonafied tack-driver" (.25-.30 MOA out to 200 yards, as far as I've shot it off the bench at paper)... made 200-250 head shots on yotes and a few deer with it tho...

Comment

you mean 6.5grendel? 6.5cm is ar10

Comment

No 6.5 CM on AR15 platform

Comment

oops, 6.5 Grendel.

Comment

If you want long range you should consider the .224 Valkyrie. I have 2 of them and use them for hogs, deer, yotes, axis deer etc....but, it is really a long distance caliber being the only (I believe)caliber that is still supersonic out to 12-1300 yards.
                I shoot the 90gr pills because I hunt with them, they have 75gr and maybe some others that will be a better target round.

Comment

Your best best is to just get a complete upper that you would pin on your existing lower. Tons of options out there for that.

Comment

Originally posted by RattlesnakeDan View Post
                    If you want long range you should consider the .224 Valkyrie. I have 2 of them and use them for hogs, deer, yotes, axis deer etc....but, it is really a long distance caliber being the only (I believe)caliber that is still supersonic out to 12-1300 yards.
                    I shoot the 90gr pills because I hunt with them, they have 75gr and maybe some others that will be a better target round.

I agree with Rattlesnake here but would also consider the 22 Nosler (which is also supersonic after the 1,000 yard mark). The only real ballistic advantage of the 224 Valkyrie over the 22 Nosler is the former has a 1-7 twist so it can stabilize the 90gr fusion round that is offered. The Nosler stops at a 75gr I believe because of the 1-8 twist rate

Comment

6.5 Grendel is the current best option for what you are looking for.

.224 Valkyrie may get there but there’s many reports of accuracy issues with those at the moment.

I would just buy a complete Grendel upper with a dedicated BCG and mags. The bolt, barrel and mags are what is different from your typical 223/5.56.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

223, 224 Valkyrie, 6.5 Grendel,,6.8 SPC, and 22 Nosler are all based on a small frame AR. The 308, 6.5 Creedmoor, 6 Creedmoor, etc are built on the large frame AR, or AR-10.

Personally I’d just build a 6.5 Grendel and call it a day.

Comment

223, 224 Valkyrie, 6.5 Grendel,,6.8 SPC, and 22 Nosler are all based on a small frame AR. The 308, 6.5 Creedmoor, 6 Creedmoor, etc are built on the large frame AR, or AR-10.

Personally I’d just build a 6.5 Grendel and call it a day.

Comment

Working...
                          X