No announcement yet.

Roundup (glyphosate)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm part of a one person boycott against Monsanto. Gonna bring them to there knees! For my part I don't use any GMO crop of any sort and have herbicide use down to very minimal and strategic use only. Crops do just fine... even without synthetic fertilizer. Amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
      I'm part of a one person boycott against Monsanto. Gonna bring them to there knees! For my part I don't use any GMO crop of any sort and have herbicide use down to very minimal and strategic use only. Crops do just fine... even without synthetic fertilizer. Amazing.
      Elgato, since I started not disking and use natural tach no chemicals
      My field is looking so good only chemicals are put on the edge of my fence
      Daikon radish are going in in the fall that or grazing radish to help with soil next spring

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
        What do you farm and how much acreage ?

Comment

Originally posted by JonW View Post
          Monsanto would like you to believe this.

Sure, it might take a culture change, but it could be done. What did we do before GMO?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Please post up your actual acreage yields of GMO vs Hybrids, also historical pesticide and fertilizer usage that backs this up.

We are over 20 years in to GMO corn vs hybrids it should be easy for you..... I can’t image why A naturally occurring soil protein and a herbicide that have been scientifically proven time and time again to be safe, are so terrible when they have lessoned the usage of other pesticides and herbicides which are dangerous is such a bad thing, not to mention increased yields do to better hybridizations

I’m really curious to see this yield increases from these native seeds that are going to lesson our footprint
          Last edited by Texans42; 05-15-2019, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Glyphosate is an antibiotic-technically an antimicrobial.

Cancer or no cancer, this isn’t good for soil life. Not to mention it can be found in nearly all of the food we eat and even in our bloodstreams-it’s certainly effecting the flora of animals and humans.

I’ll admit, it’s not widespread because most are still under the impression that synthetic fertilizers and herbicides is the only way to farm, but there are farmers producing as well as (and in some cases outproducing) their conventional counterparts without either. On top of that, they’re producing livestock at up to four times the stocking density as conventional farmers on the same farms. All while replenishing and building topsoil and increasing organic matter.

Gabe Brown, Russell Hendrick are a couple off the top of my head.

Comment

I
              Glyphosate is an antibiotic-technically an antimicrobial.

Cancer or no cancer, this isn’t good for soil life. Not to mention it can be found in nearly all of the food we eat and even in our bloodstreams-it’s certainly effecting the flora of animals and humans.

I’ll admit, it’s not widespread because most are still under the impression that synthetic fertilizers and herbicides is the only way to farm, but there are farmers producing as well as (and in some cases outproducing) their conventional counterparts without either. On top of that, they’re producing livestock at up to four times the stocking density as conventional farmers on the same farms. All while replenishing and building topsoil and increasing organic matter.

Gabe Brown, Russell Hendrick are a couple off the top of my head.

Again let’s sees yield differences. I’d loved to see convention seeds averages blowing out GMO hybrids. Please show me. Let’s see the numbers!! You are like the third person on this thread to say it but offer no historical data, yours or otherwise.

I farm and operate 20k acres, On a normal rain fall year it’s not abnormal for me to have atleast one of my 21 pivots hits 300 bushel average or better, and I’m rotating yearly.

I’m all for this huge seed savings, especially since I’m dealer size... before you waste my time I have been comparing seeds and also GMO’s since they came out 20years ago, including test circles for different seed companies... I’m intune with actual historical reality.

Live stocking rates have zero todo with GMO grains, GMO grasses are tiny speck of a speck of a speck in ranching world.
              Last edited by Texans42; 05-15-2019, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                I

Again let’s sees yield differences. I’d loved to see convention seeds averages blowing out GMO hybrids. Please show me. Let’s see the numbers!! You are like the third person on this thread to say it but offer no historical data, yours or otherwise.

I farm and operate 20k acres, On a normal rain fall year I have atleast one of my 21 pivots hits 300 bushel average or better, and I’m rotating yearly.

I’m all for this huge seed savings, especially since I’m dealer size... before you waste my time I have been comparing seeds and also GMO’s since they came out 20years ago, including test circles for different seed companies...

Live stocking rates have zero todo with GMO grains, GMO grasses are tiny speck of a speck of a speck in ranching world.

I’m very happy for you. I’m not sure where anyone said that hybrid seeds blow GMO out of the water? I’m simply stating that crops are being grown very effectively without Roundup, synthetic fertilizers, and pesticides. This is helping farmers make a living again because their inputs are SIGNIFICANTLY less without all the money spent on these.

And I wasn’t talking about GMO grasses. Many farmers are rotating livestock on the same grounds they’re growing crops on.

I’ll not waste your time any longer. Good night, sir.

Comment

Again let’s see the costs. Let’s see the drop in fertilizer, herbicides and pesticides that these conventional seeds are causing a saving on.... because over the last 20 years my herbicide and pesticide usage has gone down, and bushels per acreage up.

Again I’m all about cost savings. I don’t like paying that monster seed bills or be holden to legal agreements on harvested seed usage... im all in for alternatives. Especially if it means less tilled acreage for same tonnage.

There is no GMO wheat, so what are they rotating cattle on, stubble?

Put yourself in my shoes. I have historical data on all my land and different crops and seeds for almost 40 plus years, I can argue real life because it’s to my greatest benefit to find best option of most ROI with the very least impact. Last thing I want is every inch of my place plowed. Less I have to plant more diverse I can be.
                  Last edited by Texans42; 05-15-2019, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Again let’s see the costs. Let’s see the drop in fertilizer, herbicides and pesticides that these conventional seeds are causing a saving on.... because over the last 20 years my herbicide and pesticide usage has gone down, and bushels per acreage up.

Again I’m all about cost savings. I don’t like paying that monster seed bills or be holden to legal agreements on harvested seed usage... im all in for alternatives. Especially if it means less tilled acreage for same tonnage.

There is no GMO wheat, so what are they rotating cattle on, stubble?

Put yourself in my shoes. I have historical data on all my land and different crops and seeds for almost 40 plus years, I can argue real life because it’s to my greatest benefit to find best option of most ROI with the very least impact. Last thing I want is every inch of my place plowed. Less I have to plant more diverse I can be.

I'm glad you have joined this discussion cause clearly your experience and data keeping can be very valuable. You ask good questions. There are a lot of different aspects to this discussion which can be explored but I propose to narrow the current discussion to 'conventional tillage ag' with emphasis on herbicide, pesticide, fungicide use planting GMO seeds vs some of the current trends using no till, multi specie cover crop/ cash crop rotations sometimes along with intensive rotational grazing.

I will try to get answers for some of your questions from 2 sources; 17,000 acre [plantation in central La. which is traditionally farmed { tillage, GMO commodity crops herbicides etc. } and compared to what some other farmers are realizing using no till , conventional seed, minimal synthetic inputs etc.

I'd like to propose a few new questions as well. How does the Farm Bill support your farm and what would happen if the supports it offers were eliminated? While yield is meaningful, far more meaningful is profitability [ irrespective of yield] What trends are you experiencing with profitability? Organic matter is a measure of a soils value. What changes as a % have you seen in your organic matter since you started farming? Do you use crop insurance and how does that effect the decisions you make regarding what you plant, how you plant, etc. ? { No other business I am aware of has the luxury of profitability insurance} How do you assure that the herbicides, pesticides etc do not get into the watershed where they essentially become uncontrollable? What do you do for erosion control? What % of the synthetic fertilizers you use actually get used by the plants vs. migrating into the watershed?

My caveat . I am a recreational farmer growing about 130 acres of multi specie crops mostly aimed at growing a better than average deer. I ask these questions out of a genuine interest to understand as I have a keen concern with conventional ag practices believing the current commodity model is broken in various ways yet there are practices in place now that could well revolutionize farming to the benefit of the ecology, the nutrient density of the food we eat, the soil that grows our food...and the list goes on.

Looking forward to continued discussion.

Comment

How well do you actually understand the crop insurance program? It’s not as simple as subsidized premiums. You just don’t pick a Crop, plant and go get insurance.

The only real advantage the current farm bill for me is walk in out of state hunting, crop insurance in which probably only accounts now for 60% of my total grains acreage (I farm corn, wheat, barely, sunflower, Milo, alfalfa, occasionally soybeans)and CRP/WRP programs. The biggest advantage of the farm bill isn’t actually to me, it’s to you the consumer. Grain prices don’t follow inflation. Corn buying power is 50% less then what it was in 1960, as with the rest of the grains. But then again you have comparably cheap food prices for the unique insurance program that’s cost you the consumer so little

With out those insurance programs I would most likely be a much larger operator, due to acquisitions of those unable to diversify. But to answer your question I don’t chase subs, I bet my insurability crops wise will eventually be down to 40% within the next 5 years. I’m going away from wheat for my winter crops, unless someone comes up with a more DT and disease resistant seed..

I’m not just comparing my farm, I’m comparing neighbors, family clients, and friends accounting for 100,000’s of acres. I ran test plots for 5 different grain MFG’ers. We have owned an Elevator.

The real revolutionary farmers are the current non hobby farmers. They are the ones actually changing implements design, pushing for better irrigation techniques and less evaporation/less water usage, challenging seed hybridization issues, stoping errosion/top soil loses, etc. they are the ones working for repeatable farm solutions. We are the ones pushing for more substantial production using less acreage.
                      Why I chimed in on this thread. So many guys running mouths WITH zero historical production numbers to them back up. All regurgitated ignorance.

But back to farming, You are comparing two different things already. No-till and synthetic vs non synthetic fertilizers etc have zero to do GMO’s, Or what you call “ conventional farming”. Infact even organic matter, top soil loss, etc have zero todo with GMO. That’s farming techniques and availability of options or even rotational crop plantings such as a rotating 3rd to 4th year alfalfa to corn/barely/wheat etc. .

NO-TILL drilling is not new......

I no-tilled a couple thousand acres every year, for last 20 years all my corn stubble gets no tilled in with either barely or wheat. It’s a pretty common soil conservation practice. I use both feedlot fertilizer and synthetic. I rotate out alfalfa every 4th to 5th year with a grain, specifically for the soil.

I don’t think you realize what large scale farming is and what it has done in the last 30 years. From a technology stand point I can apply fertilizer and water with my phone. I can run tractor via remote. I can go on and on on via minor technology changes. But end of the day farm techniques are only there to foster and maximize seed “ability.”
                      Last edited by Texans42; 05-16-2019, 10:09 PM.

Comment

It’s encouraging to see an increase in regenerative farming-I honestly think it will save many family farms and am optimistic it can even help start new ones.

If I remember correctly Gabe Brown estimates that a family should be able to make a living, with no off-farm employment, off of 150 acres. Young people are interesting in agriculture again, and it’s not due to commodities.

I’m impressed and inspired by farmers who are able to do this while producing heathy nutrient-dense food and increasing organic matter.

Comment

It’s encouraging to see an increase in regenerative farming-I honestly think it will save many family farms and am optimistic it can even help start new ones.

If I remember correctly Gabe Brown estimates that a family should be able to make a living, with no off-farm employment, off of 150 acres. Young people are interesting in agriculture again, and it’s not due to commodities.

I’m impressed and inspired by farmers who are able to do this while producing heathy nutrient-dense food and increasing organic matter.

Regenerative farming practices have been a continuing methodology since the Ag act of 1954. Technically since 1940 when dust bowl ended.

Soil conservation was the reason for the Ag act 1954.

It is nothing new. Just a hipster coined phase for their compost piles

Comment

Regenerative farming practices have been a continuing methodology since the Ag act of 1954. Technically since 1940 when dust bowl ended.

Soil conservation was the reason for the Ag act 1954.

It is nothing new. Just a hipster coined phase for their compost piles

Whatever insult applies, I’m glad to see it making a comeback and glad to see people making a living doing what they love.

Comment

Whatever insult applies, I’m glad to see it making a comeback and glad to see people making a living doing what they love.

That’s the point, it never left. Contrary to the not so kind perception you have spewed about us.
                              Last edited by Texans42; 05-17-2019, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Roundup (glyphosate)

You have the answers and the experience. No reason to take it personal when someone disagrees about the necessity of glyphosate.

If I’m encouraged by those that are successful without it that’s on me and no insult to anyone else.
                                Last edited by JonW; 05-17-2019, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X