Selling a House Opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Selling a House Opinions

OK guys and gals first Ill post my ideas and let me know the good and bad.

Been remodeling the land I live on and the house my family lives in. We are getting down to a short (shorter list) of things to finish up before putting a for sale sign out front.

Here is my idea. I have a friend that has a drone company. High dollar camera type drones. Have him fly it up my driveway- then elevate to show roofline and lake. Drop back down and take a tour of the house. Fly out the back door to over the lake and then show the house from the lake. Fly over property and that is it. Then get someone to take still shots with camera.

Get website (lake-Georgetown-waterview.com) or whatever. Have a website built and put information on a "Coming Soon" sign out in front of the house. Also get a burner phone from Walmart and put the number on there.

I'm looking for honest opinions on this before I do it. May actually try to sell the house myself as I will probably be off work and looking for something to do anyway. Have a Aunt that has been in the title business for 30 years and said she would walk me through or help out. Saving money could go a long ways into an offshore retirement boat.

Glen

Originally posted by glen View Post
    OK guys and gals first Ill post my ideas and let me know the good and bad.

Been remodeling the land I live on and the house my family lives in. We are getting down to a short (shorter list) of things to finish up before putting a for sale sign out front.

Here is my idea. I have a friend that has a drone company. High dollar camera type drones. Have him fly it up my driveway- then elevate to show roofline and lake. Drop back down and take a tour of the house. Fly out the back door to over the lake and then show the house from the lake. Fly over property and that is it. Then get someone to take still shots with camera.

Get website (lake-Georgetown-waterview.com) or whatever. Have a website built and put information on a "Coming Soon" sign out in front of the house. Also get a burner phone from Walmart and put the number on there.

I'm looking for honest opinions on this before I do it. May actually try to sell the house myself as I will probably be off work and looking for something to do anyway. Have a Aunt that has been in the title business for 30 years and said she would walk me through or help out. Saving money could go a long ways into an offshore retirement boat.

Glen
    Forget the burner phone, just get a google voice number, make sure you list on Zillow, Realtor, and For Sale by owner.

Comment

I wouldn’t worry about creating a website or getting a burner. My house sold in two weeks by word of mouth. If you have Facebook then you’re miles ahead of me. It’s incredibly easy to sell something these days and the process just took a few hours on the phone and the same in the title office. Not worth me paying someone 6% for one day of work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I like your idea, Glen. You can even get Rob to shoot some still pics.

Comment

Go for it. With your Aunt helping, she will make sure you complete the contract. Then she will be sure all the closing items are satisfied!

The video drone sounds really cool.

Comment

Just a few tips that you probably already know. Clean the entire house top to bottom and remove any/all clutter. Clean off countertops. If you have a lot of furniture, remove some from the rooms because it makes them look bigger. Take down any family or personal photos. They saying goes, "They want to imagine them and their family in the house, not yours". Lastly, when taking pictures, try to do so with HDR lighting effects in the images with as much natural light as possible in the house. It really gives all the images a lot of pop.

Comment

I like that idea, may have to steal it when I'm ready to sell. Like above said post on Zillow and Facebook also.

Comment

Ken - we were going to take the house down to beds, a TV in the living room and a couch and love seat to sit on. The rest of the house will be vacant. Or we may take everything out when we fly the drone and take pics. I'm gonna trick Rob into taking pics so I know they will be good.

The drone footage will be under 3 minutes. Should I limit the amount of photos as well.

I have the place 3 sides good fenced. I took down the entry and the front fence. Should I put up a pipe fence or field fence and entry or let the new owners decide. Also I don't have a rail around my back porch and I know it is required. So many different styles would this also be better for new owners to choose?

Thanks for the replies so far.

Comment

This is the project and the porch. Pics are upstairs master bedroom I added by taking down two rooms and making one adding closet and bathroom. As you can see the porch needs railing but it seems like with all the choices it may be something a new owner may enjoy picking out
                  Attached Files

Comment

Upstairs
                    Attached Files

Comment

Back in August I had an open house on my house on Sunday (I did myself) I had it under contract on Tuesday. I did have to pay buyers agent (3%) but it saved me a ton of money and 3% commission. It was totally worth the effort and time. I refuse to give an agent $20k+ for something I could do myself.

Comment

I would imagine that your property is highly sought after and would get a TON of interest. Make sure it is priced reasonably and let her rip!

A lot of folks who sell homes themselves get an appraisal done prior to listing. That is actually very common and can save you a big head ache on the back end of the transaction.

The nightmare scenario is if the home is listed too high. Then you get a contract at that price. Then the appraisal comes back way lower than contract price. Then you've got additional negotiating to do.

I'm an appraiser near Houston. I wouldn't/couldn't do an appraisal in your area, so I have no interest. If you have any questions, send me a PM. I'd be happy to talk.

Comment

Originally posted by TildenHunter View Post
                          Back in August I had an open house on my house on Sunday (I did myself) I had it under contract on Tuesday. I did have to pay buyers agent (3%) but it saved me a ton of money and 3% commission. It was totally worth the effort and time. I refuse to give an agent $20k+ for something I could do myself.
                          This may or may not be good advice. I mean if you REALLY know what you can get for the house then sure you can save 3% which is great. But if you get a good realtor that sells the house for 15% more than you thought you'd get you just screwed yourself out of a lot of money.
                          At the very least I'd get a realtor to help price it. IMO if you sell your house in 1-4 days you sold too cheap. But if you take too long you could run off buyers that won;t return.

You have the perfect set up. You may want to consider paying a good chuck of money to landscape the entry way. At least get good advice from a pro on how much more it may sell for if you do. My only concern is a lot of time rich people want everything done to perfection before buying. And they'll pay a ton more if perfect also. Your house will sell for sure so it all depends on how you play the end game.

If I were you I'd have to debate renting it out for a few years. If the economy stay this strong for 4-5 more years you could get a lot more then for it.

The drone footage is a great idea BTW.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                            This may or may not be good advice. I mean if you REALLY know what you can get for the house then sure you can save 3% which is great. But if you get a good realtor that sells the house for 15% more than you thought you'd get you just screwed yourself out of a lot of money.
                            At the very least I'd get a realtor to help price it. IMO if you sell your house in 1-4 days you sold too cheap. But if you take too long you could run off buyers that won;t return.

You have the perfect set up. You may want to consider paying a good chuck of money to landscape the entry way. At least get good advice from a pro on how much more it may sell for if you do. My only concern is a lot of time rich people want everything done to perfection before buying. And they'll pay a ton more if perfect also. Your house will sell for sure so it all depends on how you play the end game.

If I were you I'd have to debate renting it out for a few years. If the economy stay this strong for 4-5 more years you could get a lot more then for it.

The drone footage is a great idea BTW.
                            I didn't leave a dime on the table. I know what my house was worth and priced it appropriately. The reason it sold so quickly was the buyer was 9 months pregnant. Paid cash and closed in two weeks. She had the baby during the option period....You just have to know your market, which I did.

Comment

Nice place. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X